The Student Room Group

Mistreated by a British Supermarket-Please Sign the Petition

Petition Video: [video]https://youtu.be/sZqb4jAXAoY[/video]

Hi Everyone! Please sign my petition https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/188170 about the wrongdoing of a major company in the UK. Please also share the links with your friends. Thanks.

I’ve made a petition will you sign it?
Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/188170

My petition:
Include companies' wrongdoings to employees in the list of protected disclosures

Allow all information about retail companies' wrongdoings to their employees to be published and protected by law. We want to know the names of companies that such allegations are about and see all information in relation to the allegations even if it is confidential or intellectual property.

We demand that the government change the law on raising awareness about companies' wrongdoings called 'whistleblowing' (disclosure in the public interest). Retail companies that are doing wrong to their employees cannot be trusted. The public are customers of retail companies. Therefore, if such companies are doing wrong to an employee then the disclosure of the wrongdoing should always be protected by law as it is in the public interest to know about the wrongdoing.

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/188170

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
[video="youtube;sZqb4jAXAoY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZqb4jAXAoY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Please sign the petition https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/188170

Thanks
Reply 2
Well this seems pretty dodgy.
Reply 3
What is dodgy about it?
Original post by User2016
[video="youtube;sZqb4jAXAoY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZqb4jAXAoY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Please sign the petition https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/188170

Thanks

Haven't you heard? There are more important things going on in the world. Get over it. You'll survive.
If this isnt just a complete troll, then making a video and petition is the least effective way. Go and get legal advice.
Reply 6
Original post by Seamus123
Haven't you heard? There are more important things going on in the world. Get over it. You'll survive.

You haven't explained what is dodgy about it.

What you say doesn't mean the cause I am trying to petition about isn't important. I don't think you have added anything useful to this discussion.
Absolutely no way I'm signing this. Disciplinary procedures are a private matter, the circumstances of such are determined by the private company carrying them out. If you believe the actions of your employer were unlawful or infringed against your rights, you need to seek legal advice, not create a petition that will never even be debated in Parliament due to the nature of what is being asked (inappropriate meddling in internal procedures of private companies). If you have a union rep, go and speak to them. If not, seek legal advice if required.
You haven't explained what is dodgy about it.

What you say doesn't mean the cause I am trying to petition about isn't important. I don't think you have added anything useful to this discussion.

Why put it on a student forum? Why not get legal advice?
am too busy in the struggle against Daesh and the Labor party.
On an unrelated note, who is the voice actress used in the video?
Reply 11
Original post by Paracosm
Absolutely no way I'm signing this. Disciplinary procedures are a private matter, the circumstances of such are determined by the private company carrying them out. If you believe the actions of your employer were unlawful or infringed against your rights, you need to seek legal advice, not create a petition that will never even be debated in Parliament due to the nature of what is being asked (inappropriate meddling in internal procedures of private companies). If you have a union rep, go and speak to them. If not, seek legal advice if required.

Your questions are answered in the video. Also, all petitions on the UK government petition website have to be approved before being published on the website. My petition was approved. Therefore, you are incorrect in saying that I have created "a petition that will never even be debated in Parliament due to the nature of what is being asked."

They don't approve petitions if the UK government can't meddle in the matter raised in the petition.
Reply 12
Original post by Seamus123
Why put it on a student forum? Why not get legal advice?

This has been answered in the video.
Your questions are answered in the video. Also, all petitions on the UK government petition website have to be approved before being published on the website. My petition was approved. Therefore, you are incorrect in saying that I have created "a petition that will never even be debated in Parliament due to the nature of what is being asked."

They don't approve petitions if the UK government can't meddle in the matter raised in the petition.

They most decidedly were not answered. I remain unconvinced. The supermarket will have standardised procedures. To me, it sounds (forgive my flippancy) like you breached your contract and you were suitably punished. You didn't like that, you appealed and your appeal was denied. Any petition can be approved so long as it meets minimum requirements. Did you know the Petitions Committee refuses to debate the majority of petitions on the site (EVEN after initial approval and reaching 100k signatures) due to them being ineligible for serious debate in parliament? Hence, I say again: It will never be debated in parliament. If there is a real claim, seek legal advice. This is never going to work.

Also, if your attitude towards me enquiring about your petition is anything like how you took the comments of your ex-employer, it's not a wonder they took disciplinary action. Constructive criticism character judgement. No offence is intended.
(edited 7 years ago)
This has been answered in the video.

No, it hasn't. Trust me. I watched it twice.
Reply 15
If there is a real claim, seek legal advice.

I have already sought legal advice. However, the law on whistleblowing doesn't cover the sort of wrongdoing I seek to publicise. That is why I am trying to petition to allow other types of wrongdoing to be disclosed in the public interest.
Reply 16
My face right now (the lovely Henry Cavill):

I'm curious, what did you actually do to get a disciplinary/dismissal?
I have already sought legal advice. However, the law on whistleblowing doesn't cover the sort of wrongdoing I seek to publicise. That is why I am trying to petition to allow other types of wrongdoing to be disclosed in the public interest.

The private nature of a disciplinary process is just that… private. It's a pretty simple concept. If you are not successful in appeal (and have exhausted every avenue, if there is an eligible claim), then you need to get over it tbh. Sorry, that's just it.
Reply 19
The private nature of a disciplinary process is just that… private. It's a pretty simple concept. If you are not successful in appeal (and have exhausted every avenue, if there is an eligible claim), then you need to get over it tbh. Sorry, that's just it.

One of my allegations is that the company has destroyed evidence that I could have used to bring a claim against the company. May I ask what do you think I could do now that the company has confirmed that the papers (which would have contained evidence to support my allegations) have been destroyed? The way I see it is that if I remain silent then the company could go on doing similar things to other people. If I publicise, then the company's solicitor has told me "rest assured" that the company will take civil action against me.

The thing that I don't understand is why the company denies things that I have written down (for example, the company says my dismissal meeting was not a disciplinary meeting). I fail to understand how, if I was 100% in the wrong, then why would the company deny things that are written down and threaten to take civil action against me if I publish certain material that I showed to the company's solicitor.

For example, if someone stole from the store and there was CCTV footage of the person stealing, wouldn't it be strange if the shopkeeper refused to give the police the CCTV footage that allegedly shows the person stealing from the store?

There is also the issue of learning from one's mistakes. When the company tells me that my dismissal meeting wasn't even a disciplinary meeting (the dismissal letter does call the meeting a disciplinary meeting), then how can I learn from whatever mistake I may have made during employment with the company?I would find it much more helpful if the company could give me a clear explanation about my dismissal that is supported by whatever evidence remains. This is not what the company has done.

The way I see it is that the company has/is doing wrong to an employee. Therefore, the company cannot be trusted. Since members of the public are customers of the company, then the public should know something about the alleged wrongdoing. Unfortunately, the current law on disclosure in the public interest (whistleblowing) does not allow publication of the sort of wrongdoing I seek to publicise. That is why I want to broaden the type of issues that can be disclosed in the public interest.

As I have mentioned above, the company has "rest assured" me that they will take civil action if I publish certain material. I have sought legal advice about all the things mentioned. I have been told that "public interest" is one defence for the sort of publication I want to make.

Even if parliament doesn't debate my petition for whatever reason, I would think that a good number of signatures should show that there is public interest in the disclosure I intend to make.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending