The Student Room Group

Is alcohol overrated?

I find it strange in how drinking alcohol is celebrated in this country as it provides no benefit to our society
We get nothing from drinking beer or wine, bu why do people drink and alcohol is not cheap
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would say that's overrated because getting drunk is only fun for a few hours if you're with friends. Then you just become depressed.
Original post by bleu-mason
I find it strange in how drinking alcohol is celebrated in this country as it provides no benefit to our society

Other than jobs, exports, taxes and the fact people enjoy drinking it.
No.
Maybe cause people forget their problems when they drink it but idk, I would personally never drink alcohol but I don't have anything against people who drink it
(edited 6 years ago)
Overrated? Slightly. It lets people loosen up and bond by telling stories and secrets you'd otherwise feel embarrassed to mention.
That being said, I don't understand people who get drunk just for the sake of it.
We get nothing from drinking beer or wine, bu why do people drink and alcohol is not cheap

No benefit to society? I assume you don't count taxation as a benefit to society? I also assume you don't count employment in the brewing and service industries as a benefit to society? I assume you don't count the innumerable friendships, ideas and business deals that have been struck up while drinking as a good thing? Alcohol brings people together FAR more than soft drinks or coffee because it actively breaks down social barriers and facilitates conversation.
Well beer is pretty cheap, and you can get cheap wine as well. Whats the point of buying orange squash, or eating a curry, when we can just eat ham sandwiches and drink water every day? Beer tastes nice for some, but many also drink it because it's fun, especially with friends, it makes you more sociable and everything becomes about 10x more interesting/funny. On top of that, it creates jobs, provides money in tax and we can export it to other countries. It spices up a life, because if we lived by your logic, we may as well just drink water and eat toast all day.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger

Oh but look at how the effects of alcohol consumption and ow that is paired with abuse.
Look at the yob culture,look at how alcohol adds more stain to the nhs, when younger patients are leaving the hospital with damaged livers.
look at the correlation between alcohol consumption and violence
Oh but look at how the effects of alcohol consumption and ow that is paired with abuse.
Look at the yob culture,look at how alcohol adds more stain to the nhs, when younger patients are leaving the hospital with damaged livers.
look at the correlation between alcohol consumption and violence

Link me up to the abuse then. There are some downsides, but just because someone cant handle their alcohol doesnt mean it should deprive everyone else.

You stated it doesnt benefit society and ive pointed out it does in several ways.

You dont really have a coherent argument. Do you drink? Are you muslim?

I can barely bring myself to do it, but I might have to endorse 999tiger
Reply 11
Link me up to the abuse then. There are some downsides, but just because someone cant handle their alcohol doesnt mean it should deprive everyone else.

You stated it doesnt benefit society and ive pointed out it does in several ways.

You dont really have a coherent argument. Do you drink? Are you muslim?

No I do not drink and I am not a Muslim.
I had drank a glass of wine and I felt terrible.

Lightweight.
No I do not drink and I am not a Muslim.

Are you still at school? Not everyone drinks, but many people do and they can enjoy it without beating people up or developing an addiction. If you dont like alcohol fine, but I dont see why other people should be prevented from drinking if they wish to. Maybe when you get older you might acquire a taste for it.

Do your parents drink or any of your family? Perhaps you can point out to them the error of their ways and give away any alcohol you find in the house, especially champagne, wine or single malt. They will thank you for it.

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
Reply 15
Are you still at school? Not everyone drinks, but many people do and they can enjoy it without beating people up or developing an addiction. If you dont like alcohol fine, but I dont see why other people should be prevented from drinking if they wish to. Maybe when you get older you might acquire a taste for it.

Do your parents drink or any of your family? Perhaps you can point out to them the error of their ways and give away any alcohol you find in the house, especially champagne, wine or single malt. They will thank you for it.

no, I am an adult and I am 21 years old.
I have never seen my parents drinking but i doubt they would have any alcohol in the house.
Reply 16
Original post by dontgotobath
Lightweight.

drinking large quantities of alcohol is nothing to be proud of.

That's what someone that can't drink large quantities of alcohol would say.

Yes it is.
If someone is proud of the amount of alcohol they can drink, that's cool.
People can be proud of anything they want to be.
But a lightweight like you wouldn't understand
Well, most recreational things don't bring direct benefit to society. It doesn't mean they are all 'overrated'. People don't want to be beneficial 24/7, it's only fun to do something, well, fun at times and alcohol provides that for many people. Where's the problem?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending