The Student Room Group

NHS patients should be made to pay for their hospital meals

They'd be paying for their food at home (so haven't incurred any additional expense at hospital). Why should I as a taxpayer pay for someone to eat because of their hernia?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pleasantri
They'd be paying for their food at home (so haven't incurred any additional expense at hospital). Why should I as a taxpayer pay for someone to eat because of their hernia?

Because you live in something called a 'society'.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Because you live in something called a 'society'.

Yes and how cuddly that feels. You haven't answered the question though; there are simply no additional expenditures.

Edit: when it comes to meal time
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes and how cuddly that feels. You haven't answered the question though; there are simply no additional expenditures.

Edit: when it comes to meal time

Whatever that means?!
Whether or not they have occurred additional expenses depends on how expensive the hospital food is in comparison to what they eat at home. So you can't state that they are not paying more.

They're probably tax payers too
How would that work, exactly? Are you suggesting that it's run like a business? Should there be a canteen, or a food trolley from which people can make purchases? Should some people be allowed to starve in a place intended to ensure their wellbeing? Be practical here. If someone is admitted to A&E, should they make sure they have their wallet with them? What should they do until a family member is able to arrive with money? What if they have no family?

Alternatively, should they be billed when they are discharged? "You're free to go, here's your bill." Should someone have to accumulate a debt while lying ill?

And the cost of food is marginal next to the cost of running the hospital itself.
Reply 7
Whatever that means?!

OK I'll explain it to you. If they were at home, they would have had to pay for their own food. When they're in hospital, they get free meals (i.e. a meal ticket from the taxpayer). Why should I pay for this?

The only reason I edited the post is because I was concerned about it turning into a debate on Tory policy on the NHS.
Reply 8
Original post by clumsyorange
How would that work, exactly? Are you suggesting that it's run like a business? Should there be a canteen, or a food trolley from which people can make purchases? Should some people be allowed to starve in a place intended to ensure their wellbeing? Be practical here. If someone is admitted to A&E, should they make sure they have their wallet with them? What should they do until a family member is able to arrive with money? What if they have no family?

Alternatively, should they be billed when they are discharged? "You're free to go, here's your bill." Should someone have to accumulate a debt while lying ill?

And the cost of food is marginal next to the cost of running the hospital itself.

I'm suggesting a Billing system, whereby they pay for what they've stuffed down their face after their stay.

I don't mind my taxes being used to make sure ill people in hospital don't starve...
OK I'll explain it to you. If they were at home, they would have had to pay for their own food. When they're in hospital, they get free meals (i.e. a meal ticket from the taxpayer). Why should I pay for this?

The only reason I edited the post is because I was concerned about it turning into a debate on Tory policy on the NHS.

OK, that makes sense now.

Why? Because it's part of their overall care. How is that controversial?
I'm suggesting a Billing system, whereby they pay for what they've stuffed down their face after their stay.

Have you eaten hospital food?
There's no face stuffing!!!
How about they call into boots on their way and pick up their own bandages etc?

Perhaps they are taxpayers themselves and have paid for it already?

Perhaps good nutrition is an important and cost effective part of healing?
OK, that makes sense now.

Why? Because it's part of their overall care. How is that controversial?

Because they're financially benefitting from it at the expense of the taxypaer.

This is a shame - it could be a sensible debate, but describing it as 'stuffing food down their faces', along with the account created a couple of days ago leads to one conclusion.

It's just silly. Patients being fed adequately is part of their overall care. Do you suggest the NHS simultaneously gives them free medical care to make them better and starves them to make them ill again unless they pay for their meals?
(edited 6 years ago)

^^Are we allowed to express the desire to punch someone in the face on TSR
Original post by Sammylou40
They're probably tax payers too

How wonderful for them. I don't expect the taxpayer to pay for me to eat, so why should they?
Original post by clumsyorange
^^Are we allowed to express the desire to punch someone in the face on TSR

Carry on, under the laws that your side of the argument prescribes, I would happily report this for incitement to violence.
why are you lots forever trying to make the world a miserable place smh
Why have you ignored the point made about three times now? What if they are taxpayers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending