The Student Room Group

Americans are nicer than Britons

I already knew Americans are super talkative and amiable cause I have some friends there, but last night I met those Americans from Seattle, in a club, and they were so nice, chill and easy to talk to, this only confirmed it even more

also I got no weird vibes from them or anything like that and they were way more engaging and entertaining than the British

no shade :banana:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Definitely, their so ambitions too. It's a reflection of what big government in the U.K. Does compared to the USA. In the U.K. If you're unemployed the government will aim to help and people expect that, in the USA you live and learn from the consequences of being unemployed. It seems to reflect in their whole attitude, they're very competitive, talk brilliantly and they sell themselves like a high end product (not in a sexual way, for business) and is it just me or do they all seem to have perfect teeth??

And they don't have weird social behaviours like us britions, we judge people and are secretly sarcastic.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
The majority of Americans I've known have been ignorant, arrogant pricks who seem to become defensive and hostile when they know they're talking to a Brit. There have been one or two exceptions of course, but that's my usual experience.
Reply 3
Original post by zayn008
Definitely, their so ambitions too. It's a reflection of what big government in the U.K. Does compared to the USA. In the U.K. If you're unemployed the government will aim to help and people expect that, in the USA you live and learn from the consequences of being unemployed. It seems to reflect in their whole attitude, they're very competitive, talk brilliantly and they sell themselves like a high end product (not in a sexual way, for business) and is it just me or do they all seem to have perfect teeth??

yeah their teeth definitely make them more attractive, I was pretty shocked to see that most people from the UK don't have such a pretty smile
They just talk a lot more and to almost anyone

/thread
Reply 5
Original post by EC
yeah their teeth definitely make them more attractive, I was pretty shocked to see that most people from the UK don't have such a pretty smile

I've always wondered how to get that straight and white smile, It can't be natural? I think they all pay for it tbh
Original post by EC
I already knew Americans are super talkative and amiable cause I have some friends there, but last night I met those Americans from Seattle, in a club, and they were so nice, chill and easy to talk to, this only confirmed it even more

also I got no weird vibes from them or anything like that and they were way more engaging and entertaining than the British

no shade :banana:

Does it ever occur to you that there are nice and horrible people in every country? Those Americans may appear nice but for all you know they're absolute scumbags who just act nice. If they're generally nice well this just because of what they're like as a person and not because of the country they come from. There will be plenty of horrible Americans around too.
Reply 7
Original post by jkgkerkgekl
Does it ever occur to you that there are nice and horrible people in every country? Those Americans may appear nice but for all you know they're absolute scumbags who just act nice. If they're generally nice well this just because of what they're like as a person and not because of the country they come from. There will be plenty of horrible Americans around too.

I was just saying they are more open to conversation, from my perspective, which ofc makes them appear nicer.
Reply 8
Original post by zayn008
I've always wondered how to get that straight and white smile, It can't be natural? I think they all pay for it tbh

Genetics and yeah I got some classmates who went to America through Rotary and they all said they take really good care of their teeth and they use whitening products.
Goes with her friends to a nightclub in the friendly and liberal city of Seattle.
Decides to generalise this to every stranger and person in America.
Nice reasoning there.
Reply 10
Original post by bobby147
Goes with her friends to a nightclub in the friendly and liberal city of Seattle.
Decides to generalise this to every stranger and person in America.
Nice reasoning there.

I wasn't in Seattle, I was in my hometown.
I think American men are generally nicer and more attractive.
I can't wait till I get my internship over there 😍😥
Reply 12
Oh and I forgot to mention they were also black. :colondollar:
Original post by EC
Genetics and yeah I got some classmates who went to America through Rotary and they all said they take really good care of their teeth and they use whitening products.

Do they always work?

Reply 14
the "stereotypical american" or the "average american on the street" seem nicer on the surface because they are more extroverted, bubbly and loud than a typical brit. they speak to you more and say things that are actually kind of a script since they ALL say it like "Come back soon!" or "have an amazing day, mam!". They don't necessarily mean it. I find once you get to know them, their beliefs and values, you will find they are not as "nice" as they first seem. Not saying they are horrible. I just would consider their niceness kind of fake/two faced... or limited to certain people (ethnicities/sexualities/nationalities... list goes on).

I put quotation marks because I have some lovely, kind and very intelligent American friends (all Bernie supporters, not so coincidently) which makes me feel bad saying this... and of course it depends on the person. But since you're making a generalisation, I will too. There is a weird vibe/culture in America that has made this happen.

Also something to note: the best Americans you will meet are generally the ones who AREN'T in America (travelling/expats etc.)... or those that want to be out of America but unfortunately can't afford it. Often are the ones that are the exception to the first paragraph.
(edited 6 years ago)
That's the good thing with us Brits - if we don't like you or even don't really feel like talking to you we won't pretend, whereas Americans tend to be some of the fakest people on planet earth :h:
Original post by Moura

Also something to note: the best Americans you will meet are generally the ones who AREN'T in America (travelling/expats etc.)... or those that want to be out of America but unfortunately can't afford it. Often are the ones that are the exception to the first paragraph.
There are exceptions to that rule too - as with all things, it's not good to generalise, especially the 'stooped' ones:

I was at the theatre years ago in Brighton. Dustin Hoffman played Shylock in the Merchant of Venice. From the row behind me in a loud heavy American west-coast accent came the statement: "Why did they name their daughter after a car?" (referring to the heiress Portia).

Similarly a few years after that, I was on holiday in France and at a champagne cellar tour in Reims, when another American accent (this time Texan) asked her husband while we all looked at 300 year old oak casks: "Geee. How do they make those barrels look like real wood honey?"

Absolute truth!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by uberteknik
There are exceptions to that rule too - as with all things, it's not good to generalise, especially the 'stooped' ones:

I was at the theatre years ago in Brighton. Dustin Hoffman played Shylock in the Merchant of Venice. From the row behind me in a loud heavy American west-coast accent came the statement: "Why did they name their daughter after a car?" (referring to the heiress Portia).

Similarly a few years after that, I was on holiday in France and at a champagne cellar tour in Reims, when another American accent (this time Texan) asked the guide while we all looked at 300 year old oak casks: "Geee. How do they make those barrels look like real wood?"

Absolute truth!

yeah of course there are exceptions :smile: like I said, I know quite a few!
there are also people who are just complete knobheads without the niceties.
I am just talking about my experience with the typical "nice" american act.
The one's I've met in real life did seem friendlier than Britons who perform equivalent jobs, but I've only been to one state before apart from for connecting flights
Original post by jkgkerkgekl

I think we are all falling into the human psychology trap of generalization - there is no doubt that Americans are much more friendly and talkative in general, and are not there to judge people or display jealousy as a lot of British people do (not all, mind you!).

There must be crooked Americans, too, although I came across only one in my trip to five states (mostly on the eastern side of USA).

A large number of Britons, particularly in London and nearby, don't even know their neighbours' names - let us face it, Britons keep themselves to themselves, although I think the Q should read "Are Americans more friendly than Cockneys?", to which the answer is a categorical YES, because the only thing this species (Cockneys) can think about is how to start a fight! To add to this point, the Britons in Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle or anywhere outside stone's throw of London actually talk [may I say, so do lovely Irish ladies]!

This is my personal experience from having dealings with many members of both communities (Americans AND Britons). Although I have a British nationality (afforded to me by the British taking Indians to Kenya in the 20th century to build the railway, one of whom was my grandfather, not acquired out of choice!), I am hopefully making an impartial viewpoint out of observation as an outsider sitting on the fence!

IN SUMMARY, LET US FACE IT - colonial days are history!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending