The Student Room Group

If sex before marriage and adultery were illegal, it would help with many problems

Lower STI/STD rates.

Lower unwanted pregnancy rates.

Lower amount of abortions.

Lower divorce rates.

Happier marriages.

A more functioning society.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nearly all of these things could be easily achieved with better sex and relationships education and easier access to effective birth control and abortion. I also fail to see how banning premarital sex would help society function (since people would either be sexually frustrated or having sex illegally) or reduce divorce rates (since it massively incentivises people to rush into ill-advised marriages purely due to sexual desire).

Indeed, since banning premarital sex would also likely mean that contraception would become harder to access, I would expect that such a policy would cause STI infections, unwanted pregnancies and abortions to increase.
(edited 6 years ago)
You do know how dumb this sounds right ? How would you even regulate it and what about people that cant afford marriage or don't believe in it ?
If you ban intimacy before marriage then surely the divorce rate will get worse as people won't realise they aren't compatible physically until they are married? A marriage is more likely to work if you know the other person as best as possible before getting married rather than rushing into it because you can't have sex before hand.
-

You forgot to mention that banning women from driving would reduce the number of road accidents, while making the wearing of desert clothes including face coverings compulsory would lead to a drop in skin cancer.

In addition, the introduction of removal of the right hand as a punishment for theft would reduce the incidence of injuries to the fingers of right hands in accidents.
(edited 5 years ago)
:facepalm2:

You are back.
Not quite sure how you came to some of those conclusions, especially a decrease in divorces? If anything there would be an increase.
I feel like both illegal and legal would have positives and negatives.
Reply 8
-

I like this one.

It's high minded enough to make it out like you believe you're morally superior, yet vague enough to indicate you haven't got a ****ing clue what you're talking about.
(edited 5 years ago)
-

you mean like saudi arabia? Yes they are a high functioning society.Let us know when they land on the moon or cure cancer or do anything at all worthwhile for society. We've done this before and it was terrible.Lets try to move forwards shall we instead of dragging us all the way back to the dark ages.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Robby2312
you mean like saudi arabia? Yes they are a high functioning society.Let us know when they land on the moon or cure cancer or do anything at all worthwhile for society. We've done this before and it was terrible.Lets try to move forwards shall we instead of dragging us all the way back to the dark ages.

so Saudi Arabia needs to find the cure for cancer in order to gain your approval? LoL
-

What? You mean a return to the 19th century, where divorce for a woman was nearly impossible? Where a husband could get his leg over as many times as possible, but if his wife did it, she could lose her home, her children and her reputation?
How else does this utopia work, then? There has always been sex before marriage, there has always been adultery, men who went with other women gave their wives syphillis, or the modern term STI's. There have always been abortions because of unwanted pregnancies. There were hardly any divorces which meant women had to stay in bad marriages in order to survive.
And how does making all this illegal actually work? Who would police it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Nice idea, but western society is so totally governed by the kabbalah satanism that is so intimately linked to the fiat money system, that these ideas just get drowned in a tidal wave of Caitlin Jenners and Milo whoeverheis.
Original post by claireestelle
If you ban intimacy before marriage then surely the divorce rate will get worse as people won't realise they aren't compatible physically until they are married? A marriage is more likely to work if you know the other person as best as possible before getting married rather than rushing into it because you can't have sex before hand.

That sort of conduct is purely for the purpose of reproduction and sustaining the next generation. As long as the couple in question are from a similar socio-economic background then all this other decadent stuff simply has no relevance in family/community wellbeing.
Original post by Beth_H
Nearly all of these things could be easily achieved with better sex and relationships education and easier access to effective birth control and abortion. I also fail to see how banning premarital sex would help society function (since people would either be sexually frustrated or having sex illegally) or reduce divorce rates (since it massively incentivises people to rush into ill-advised marriages purely due to sexual desire).

Indeed, since banning premarital sex would also likely mean that contraception would become harder to access, I would expect that such a policy would cause STI infections, unwanted pregnancies and abortions to increase.

Education and contraception have been pushed for years without success. What is really needed is a physical deterrent - nothing bucks a young girl's ideas up faster than a swift kick in the groin. Promoting copulations before the end of education is an absolute disaster and instead we should be promoting purity and devotion to education. #anewwesternmorality
Reply 15
Original post by TribalGroupthink
Education and contraception have been pushed for years without success. What is really needed is a physical deterrent - nothing bucks a young girl's ideas up faster than a swift kick in the groin. Promoting copulations before the end of education is an absolute disaster and instead we should be promoting purity and devotion to education. #anewwesternmorality

On the contrary - look at the extensive education and access to contraception in countries like the Netherlands and the success it's had there, compared to the absolute farce that is abstinence only education in the US. The vague and misogynistic idea of "purity" also gets society nowhere.
Original post by claireestelle

IMHO, there are many more issues than 'physical compatibility'. According to one study i read, more than 80% of serious arguments within couples involve money. Other issues are neatniks vs slobs, night hawks vs early birds, drinking and drugs. I did several years service overseas in the early 70's. On my return trip, i met by chance someone in europe. She was another yank. We traveled around for about a week, and got on very well. Both of us were on fixed departure tickets, so we separated and got together back here in the states. She was divorced & had a young daughter. I met the daughter & we all got along fine. I was just about to ask her to move in with me, after i found us a place to live [having been overseas for 3 years, i had no fixed address at that point]. I did some investigating, and found that in my state [Virginia], at that time - sharing living quarters with another -of the other sex - was a felony. This was covered in a section of tghe state code that was titled: "Cohabitation". Since i was involved in engineering in jobs that required security clearances, that was an obvious killer that would make me forever unemployable. After years of education, i would then be faced with having to make a living (and support a family) by driving a cab or digging ditches. With great reluctance, i was forced to let her go, and break off the relationship. About 12 years later, [1983] they repealed the statute, so i went out and started dating again. Me 'rents wouldn't let me date in school or college, so i was a total neophyte in socializing. I think due to my inexperience, i was unsuccessful at attracting anyone that i found acceptable [non abusive and non alcoholic, non druggie being the major decision points]. I was unwilling to marry someone that i'd known for only a week - altho i know 2 couples that did that, and it worked ok for them. So there is one reason why i would vote against prohibition of sharing housing. Didn't work for me! Cheers.
Original post by Beth_H
On the contrary - look at the extensive education and access to contraception in countries like the Netherlands and the success it's had there, compared to the absolute farce that is abstinence only education in the US. The vague and misogynistic idea of "purity" also gets society nowhere.

I would prefer to look at the moral and educational success of India/west london asians than the cesspit that is the Netherlands. Wherever you get this feminist/liberal/marxist dogma you also find the usual single mothers with daft/no degrees with half black kids. Even if western women dont become single mothers then they become insufferable career women or geriatric mothers which are catastrophically destabilising for society.
Original post by Angry Bird
so Saudi Arabia needs to find the cure for cancer in order to gain your approval? LoL

No but it's western science that is doing those things.
Backwards superstition and regressive thinking of the kind that sums up Saudi Arabia is detrimental to society.They don't need to find the cure for cancer maybe just contribute one single positive thing to society.
The OP's argument fails as it assumes compliance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending