The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What is the muslim equivalent of the male hijab in the everyday life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Conceited
Diamonds are worthless.

lol
Original post by Bang Outta Order
There we go. There's an excuse.

If you're Muslim I can see why you're taking this personally and are willing to defend your background at all costs, even if you're wrong.
But if you're not then this clearly must be some kind of humanitarian exercise for you, your good deed for the day to desperately overlook any flaws in Islam just to feel like a good progressive person. Muddying the discussion with sentimental denial is not being progressive, I'm afraid. Why can't you see the hypocrisy? Clearly if his little sister is wearing the hijab and all that clothing in summer weather while he prances about in a flashy t-shirt and basketball shorts and socks with Adidas sliders, then their family does adhere to Muslim teaching. But only for HER. They had her leave the house dressing "modestly" but seemed to have forgotten about making sure the same of his is done. How is that not sexism to you?

That is definitely, definitely a cultural problem - not a religious problem. Unfortunately it is difficult to distinguish between the two in modern day society and I totally understand what you mean by the hypocrisy of the parents in that hypothetical scenario. The religion is not to blame on that occasion though. The religion clearly teaches that the male should be dressed modestly too, if the parents only pay attention to the modesty of the female, it is the parents problem.
Original post by maddyy_
Men- have to be modest by lowering their gaze. They have to cover certain parts on their body like their legs and not reveal.

Women cover their heads because they should be treated like a diamond as they are believed to be special and rare and should not flaunt their beauty as it's for their husbands :smile:

I'm not sure if this was help but you can always PM me. I'm not highly religious or knowledgeable xxx

What despicable objectification. Firstly, most of a woman's beauty does not come from her hair. Secondly, not covering is not the same as flaunting, not that showing your beauty devalues it in the first place.

To answer the OP, there is none. Islam was created in a very sexist, patriarchal society where women invariably received the worse end of the stick. Unfortunately they still do today in societies and communities dominated by Islam.
Original post by Immunology
What makes you believe that Islam isn't 'woman-friendly?' Asking due to general interest, not trying to start an argument - I promise! :colondollar:

My personal favourite is Surah An-Nisa 4:11, some bull about giving sons double the inheritance than daughters. There's also some nonsense about rejecting your husband sex will have you cursed until morning by angels in the Hadith and Muhammad calling women "deficient in intelligence" and women literally being unable to practice their religion during menstruation due to some other God-given "deficiency".
That is definitely, definitely a cultural problem - not a religious problem. Unfortunately it is difficult to distinguish between the two in modern day society and I totally understand what you mean by the hypocrisy of the parents in that hypothetical scenario. The religion is not to blame on that occasion though. The religion clearly teaches that the male should be dressed modestly too, if the parents only pay attention to the modesty of the female, it is the parents problem.

lol now we're cavaliere about it? With that attitude then every time a Muslim does something wrong "its the parents, not us." Excuse me but a community of people, such as a group of people who practice the same religion, is made up of individuals and individual households, and if more and more of these individuals are straying further and further away from proper teachings, then the religion as a whole becomes a problem because it's full of backwards people. That is my point.
There is also a "hijab" for men, hijab not just the physical scarf, there is also hijab of the mind, the eyes etc (to not think bad thoughts, to lower your gaze in respect of women). Physically- Men are supposed to wear loose garments, which cover the legs but stop at the ankle, they should also wear a prayer hat.. in my life I always see the men wearing clothes like this, but obviously every Muslim is at different stages with the hijab... having said that I get your point I think it's clear that more women wear the hijab than men but that's due to the culture, where men are considered to be more superior than women, that's all bs though
(edited 6 years ago)
lol now we're cavaliere about it? With that attitude then every time a Muslim does something wrong "its the parents, not us." Excuse me but a community of people, such as a group of people who practice the same religion, is made up of individuals and individual households, and if more and more of these individuals are straying further and further away from proper teachings, then the religion as a whole becomes a problem because it's full of backwards people. That is my point.

And my point is, it is a cultural problem. The community is built up of individuals with the same culture as well and indeed the culture has an effect on how the individuals practice the religion. You can't blame the religion for people not following it right, that literally makes no sense whatsoever?
Original post by YaliaV
Men can basically do what they want in Islam. Only women have to be controlled.

source?
Lol women are forced everyday. If she doesn't she probably gets beat at home for disobeying in the street if she leaves the house without it or if she's caught without it. Everyone knows this. You don't win a TSR Trophy for posting politically correct fallacies.

what a load of bs, this has probably happened with such a small minority you probably read an article on the dailymail and now you're assuming every muslim woman gets forced
And my point is, it is a cultural problem. The community is built up of individuals with the same culture as well and indeed the culture has an effect on how the individuals practice the religion. You can't blame the religion for people not following it right, that literally makes no sense whatsoever?

The religion isn't some magical piece of paper that floated down from the sky. It's practiced by the people, and if the people say they're practicing their religion properly while they're being sexist, that means there's something wrong with the religion, my friend.

This isn't about practicing religion improperly. Because apparently women covering their heads and faces while men don't have to is part of the religion. The problem is the religion.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Angry Bird
what a load of bs, "this" has probably happened with such a small minority you probably read an article on the dailymail and now you're assuming every muslim woman gets forced

First of all, you're assuming that I'm assuming "every" muslim woman gets treated horribly for not adhering to certain islamic principles. However, everyone knows this happens, not just people who read the bloody dailymail. What game are you trying to play denying this everyday occurrence of islamic sexism?
Reply 51
OP's logic is using cultural problems to judge Islam. Just a typical UKIP-supporting daily mail reader tbh, might have to add another troll to my ignore
Reply 52
There we go. There's an excuse.

If you're Muslim I can see why you're taking this personally and are willing to defend your background at all costs, even if you're wrong.
But if you're not then this clearly must be some kind of humanitarian exercise for you, your good deed for the day to desperately overlook any flaws in Islam just to feel like a good progressive person. Muddying the discussion with sentimental denial is not being progressive, I'm afraid. Why can't you see the hypocrisy? Clearly if his little sister is wearing the hijab and all that clothing in summer weather while he prances about in a flashy t-shirt and basketball shorts and socks with Adidas sliders, then their family does adhere to Muslim teaching. But only for HER. They had her leave the house dressing "modestly" but seemed to have forgotten about making sure the same of his is done. How is that not sexism to you?

Clearly you don't know the rules for men, just stop talking lmao
Original post by Angry Bird
what a load of bs, this has probably happened with such a small minority you probably read an article on the dailymail and now you're assuming every muslim woman gets forced

Erm a small minority like at least half the Islamic world? Ok here a woman isn't necessarily forced but places like Pakistan,Indonesia,Saudi Arabia,iran,Qutar and a whole bunch of other countries the woman will face punishment for not wearing a hijab.And that's just for not wearing a piece of clothing,just imagine what happens if she engaged in sex before marriage.Islam is completely anti-women there is no two ways about that.
Original post by zezno
OP's logic is using cultural problems to judge Islam. Just a typical UKIP-supporting daily mail reader tbh, might have to add another troll to my ignore

Oh stop it. Just a typical leftie taking it personally and dishing out insults and accusations without backing it up with a logical defense and threatening to block.

Original post by zezno
Clearly you don't know the rules for men, just stop talking lmao

I do know "the rules" for men. People have explained it even though it's irrelevant. Because several people here even muslims have said "there is no equivalent." Because there isn't one. You can't disagree, can you? You're not disagreeing. You're just insulting now. That means I'm right.
Reply 55
It is so simple, look at who is being used the most to sell products in advertisements… is it men or women? It is women, of course. Women are the most beautiful. Allah asked both men and women to lower their gaze and dress modestly. But women are more beautiful. If you want to see naked women just say so with your chest, stop trying to force Muslim women to uncover because of your pervy nature
Reply 56
Oh stop it. Just a typical leftie taking it personally and dishing out insults and accusations without backing it up with a logical defense and threatening to block.

I do know "the rules" for men. People have explained it even though it's irrelevant. Because several people here even muslims have said "there is no equivalent." Because there isn't one. You can't disagree, can you? You're not disagreeing. You're just insulting now. That means I'm right.

Okay, let's have a debate on this topic then shall we
Original post by zezno
Only a small minority gets forced. Stop trying to generalize lmfao, I've never met someone so uneducated. I've never met anyone in my life who's been forced to wear it.

Original post by zezno
Na you're just uneducated, you think the religion is the problem because Men don't have to wear the hijab.

Men and women are different, doofus

Original post by zezno
It is so simple, look at who is being used the most to sell products in advertisements… is it men or women? It is women, of course. Women are the most beautiful. Allah asked both men and women to lower their gaze and dress modestly. But women are more beautiful. If you want to see naked women just say so with your chest, stop trying to force Muslim women to uncover because of your pervy nature

Original post by zezno
Okay, let's have a debate on this topic then shall we

look how triggered you are. And yet not once even after 4 consecutive posts, have you provided useful information. :congrats:

A nice debate has taken place without you, thank you very much. And everyone here has failed to provide the hijab equivalent for men.
Reply 58
Men have to dress modestly also. Their clothing should also be loose and they should grow their beards (highly recommended).

Hijab includes the way a person walks, talks, looks and thinks. All of it should be done modestly and applies to both men and women.
Reply 59
Now, God doesn’t allow for women to be degraded, objectified or descended to that level. Women are much nobler than that.A woman’s body is sacred. Allah has elevated women.

Paradise is under the feet of women.

God dedicated an entire chapter in the Quran for a woman (chapter 19 titled Mary). Why? Because of her purity and modesty… her purity elevated her.

Latest

Trending

Trending