The Student Room Group

Do people believe in cultural appropriation?

Being a third culture kid, I honestly feel like cultural appropriation does exist, it can be really small things that I see and I know that some people don't believe in it and can I ask why? Is it to do with race? Personal opinion or experience?
It's not that it "doesn't exist" per se. The definition states sort of clearly what it is (one culture adapting another culture's stuff), and that does happen. Just the idea of taking offence over it and making it an issue doesn't actually make any sense given it's a process that's happened for literally thousands of years and is what formed most of the cultures we have today in the first place.
I can't take blacks that play golf seriously...like sooo cringe.
Reply 3
Original post by CorporateSluts
I can't take blacks that play golf seriously...like sooo cringe.

Is that a culture though? I believe that cultural appropriation can happen across all races, for example I don't agree that Beyonce being portrayed as a Hindu goddess in that coldplay video was right but does golf really come under that spectrum?
Original post by Milky_Way
Is that a culture though? I believe that cultural appropriation can happen across all races, for example I don't agree that Beyonce being portrayed as a Hindu goddess in that coldplay video was right but does golf really come under that spectrum?

Golf is native to Scotland. Woods has done nothing but drag the sport in to disrepute over the last 5/7 years or so. You can take the kid out of the ghetto but.....
Reply 5
Golf is native to Scotland. Woods has done nothing but drag the sport in to disrepute over the last 5/7 years or so. You can take the kid out of the ghetto but.....

Oh I didn't know that, but then wouldn't any white person who doesn't have Scottish heritage also be appropriating? I mean with golf it's not like people have been repressed in any way for playing it.

Tiger Woods grew up in a ghetto?....
Original post by Milky_Way
Oh I didn't know that, but then wouldn't any white person who doesn't have Scottish heritage also be appropriating? I mean with golf it's not like people have been repressed in any way for playing it.

Tiger Woods grew up in a ghetto?....

A n1gger from LA has no business appropriating a sport whose origins are based around working class Fife farming folk. End of.
Reply 7
A n1gger from LA has no business appropriating a sport whose origins are based around working class Fife farming folk. End of.

but my point is it's not just him though, besides golf isn't actually from Scotland so....
Reply 8
It does exist, but I don't see what is wrong with it. I think it's beautiful that cultures inspire each others. Sure enough it is a good step towards acceptation? If it is done with disrespect, I can see the uproar. But cultural appropriation is how the world evolve. It is impossible to avoid. Some people are just professionally offended
of course it exists - but its normal and natural, and should be encouraged. We should, as we have done throughout history - borrow the best parts from all other cultures, just as other cultures should borrow the best bits from us. It is how cultures evolve and develop, by intermingling with each other.

Now, of course if someone is being a ******** with something that you think is sensitive to you/your family etc.. call them out on it. But call them out on being a ********, not because of their cultural appropriation, but because of the way they have appropriated it. There are good ways and bad ways to do everything, and borrowing from other cultures is no exception. It is entirely subjective though, and should be acknowledged as such.. but if someone does something you think is wrong, then go wild....

But go wild for the right reason.. because they are being a **** with something you care about.. Not because they should never interact with your culture, or never borrow from it - but because they are being a **** with it.

---

That's where a lot of liberals get the line wrong for me.. they apply a blanket morality over the whole thing, and often a very onesided one, where white people are normally the apropriator, and white culture cannot be apropriated from because it doesnt exist.

They will then give examples of people being dicks to other cultures, and instead of critisising the person who is being a ****, for being a ****.. they attack the whole concept.

Its like saying 'My mate dave borrowed my phone and he smashed the screen - borrowing/lending is always bad'.. no your mate dave was an inconsiderate or clumsy **** who should now make the situation better..
Reply 10
Original post by fallen_acorns
of course it exists - but its normal and natural, and should be encouraged. We should, as we have done throughout history - borrow the best parts from all other cultures, just as other cultures should borrow the best bits from us. It is how cultures evolve and develop, by intermingling with each other.

Now, of course if someone is being a ******** with something that you think is sensitive to you/your family etc.. call them out on it. But call them out on being a ********, not because of their cultural appropriation, but because of the way they have appropriated it. There are good ways and bad ways to do everything, and borrowing from other cultures is no exception. It is entirely subjective though, and should be acknowledged as such.. but if someone does something you think is wrong, then go wild....

But go wild for the right reason.. because they are being a **** with something you care about.. Not because they should never interact with your culture, or never borrow from it - but because they are being a **** with it.

---

That's where a lot of liberals get the line wrong for me.. they apply a blanket morality over the whole thing, and often a very onesided one, where white people are normally the apropriator, and white culture cannot be apropriated from because it doesnt exist.

They will then give examples of people being dicks to other cultures, and instead of critisising the person who is being a ****, for being a ****.. they attack the whole concept.

Its like saying 'My mate dave borrowed my phone and he smashed the screen - borrowing/lending is always bad'.. no your mate dave was an inconsiderate or clumsy **** who should now make the situation better..

I think you say it very well actually, I think it's not always a bad thing, there is a huge difference between appropriation and appreciation. For example when my aunt had a typical brown wedding and invited her white friends, they used our traditional clothes in a respectful way and were eager to learn about our culture and be respectful. I think we need more of that, not people making 'trends' out of my culture, things I was teased and made fun of and culture that when we were colonised were not allowed to express and were persecuted for. If we acknowledge where these things come from and do it in a respectful way I think we can move forward. But I definitely think being a POC I have a different perspective on the matter, even being brown, I mentioned the Beyonce thing which I had an issue with and maybe other people didn't because it's not their culture

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending