The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why isn't the Burka banned?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMR2017
Tell me the last time a terrorist attack happened with the perpetrator wearing a burka.

prevention is better than cure. its best to be careful and safe to start with. once again, the issue is not about burkas, its about all face coverings!
Original post by Knightoflogic
ok, i think we both know that's extreme and a serious exaggeration.

in your opinion maybe, as someone who's had ancestors killed due to religious violence, it's common sense
Reply 42
Original post by London,SweetBoy

Also they could so easily rob a bank and no-one will know their identity or how to trace who they are when the minute they step out their door they are wearing an Islamic balaclava!

It's only a matter of time before someone does this. A thought of someone robbing a bank in a burka mask had crossed my mind before. It's a brilliant idea, you can get right upto the till without drawing any suspicion and without revealing your identity

I'm surprised no one has done it already.

Someone will do it sooner or later though...............
Original post by Zargabaath
in your opinion maybe, as someone who's had ancestors killed due to religious violence, it's common sense

first of all, your view is therefore extremely biased. second of all only a minuscule amount of religious people are violent as you say.
first of all, your view is therefore extremely biased. second of all only a minuscule amount of religious people are violent as you say.

or perhaps you're ignorant to the problem. only a tiny number of neo nazis would kill me in public too, doesn't mean I'm any better seeing the swastika on someones arm
or perhaps you're ignorant to the problem. only a tiny number of neo nazis would kill me in public too, doesn't mean I'm any better seeing the swastika on someones arm

its quite hilarious and worrying that you think all religion is neo-Nazism.
Why should they? If I walk around with a swastika people would look at me with disgust. Religions are ideologies that have caused a hell of a lot of death and misery too, should be treated in the same light.

But you still have the right to walk around with a swastika if you want. And you can already look at people wearing religious symbols with disgust if you want.

Beside, this line of reasoning could be extended to anything. You could make it unacceptable to display a British flag due to some of the atrocities committed by the British Empire. Or make it unacceptable to wear a red shirt because of that one time a guy in a red shirt committed a crime somewhere.
its quite hilarious and worrying that you think all religion is neo-Nazism.

it's hilarious that you're deliberately misrepresenting my stance.
it's hilarious that you're deliberately misrepresenting my stance.

no, you're just not clear on why you hate all religion based on a tiny minority.
of course if they're genuine that's fine, but what's to stop a terrorist to wear a burka, just appearing as a normal Muslim, no one would suspect anything and then commit a horrible crime and no one would know?

What's to stop anyone wearing them, regardless of religious belief? You can buy them online you know. All this hyperfocusing on Muslims, who are just human beings like the rest of us at the end of the day, has to stop.
Original post by FairySparkleGirl
What's to stop anyone wearing them, regardless of religious belief? You can buy them online you know. All this hyperfocusing on Muslims, who are just human beings like the rest of us at the end of the day, has to stop.

exactly!
exactly!

👍🏻
Crimes are committed by human beings. Religion is often used as an excuse, but it's people really. ☺️
👍🏻
Crimes are committed by human beings. Religion is often used as an excuse, but it's people really. ☺️

at last a fellow person who is logical!
Reply 53
👍🏻

Agreed. It easier to find the culprit if the face is not hidden from view and this is why We must fight the face coverings irrespective of what the Saudi Wahabbi loony propaganda.
I don't understand why it should be banned, as it is obviously known that it is a religious thing, and if you don't agree with it, well it has nothing to do with you. HOWEVER, what should be banned is balaclavas bc why are they needed?? To rob, and scare people. No thank you.
yes its not obligatory to wear the burka, but if a woman wears it, its their choice, everyone has the right to wear whatever pleases them, so shouldn't she uphold that right as well?

Also, Islam doesn't say that women aren't allowed to wear it either.
Original post by London,SweetBoy
:rofl2:That last part was hilarious. Probably because it's true.

And in most cases they tend to be quite chubby as well!

And now you're just generalising and making assumptions.

There was no need to add that.
of course if they're genuine that's fine, but what's to stop a terrorist to wear a burka, just appearing as a normal Muslim, no one would suspect anything and then commit a horrible crime and no one would know?

What's to stop a terrorist from posing as any type of civilian, even one without a burka... Like normal clothing... Oh wait... They do.

Honestly this whole argument seems biased against something people clearly don't understand. I'm not even religious and even I can understand if it's something they want to wear then they can as long as they don't cause people harm. Honestly who cares.

Let's look at it this way for perspective. A lot of teenagers wear hoodies. Not all, but a good amount. Now it is a common stereotype that "All hooded teenagers are up to something. Maybe they're dealing drugs or going to attack someone". When in reality a lot of teenagers just want to wear a hoodie as they feel more comfortable in it but they're being attacked by verbal prejudice (most times unknowingly) because of a small minority of teenagers that caused issue which then the media picked up on and spiked fear into.

Stop looking at everything with a norrow view point and look at the bigger picture. No one has ever got personally insulted or attacked by someone simply wearing clothing round their head.

The world is already full of prejudice and discrimination. I was hoping out generation could put a stop to that since no one else is. Seems that's not gunna happen when there are articles like this showing otherwise.
Original post by TooNocturnal
What's to stop a terrorist from posing as any type of civilian, even one without a burka... Like normal clothing... Oh wait... They do.

Honestly this whole argument seems biased against something people clearly don't understand. I'm not even religious and even I can understand if it's something they want to wear then they can as long as they don't cause people harm. Honestly who cares.

Let's look at it this way for perspective. A lot of teenagers wear hoodies. Not all, but a good amount. Now it is a common stereotype that "All hooded teenagers are up to something. Maybe they're dealing drugs or going to attack someone". When in reality a lot of teenagers just want to wear a hoodie as they feel more comfortable in it but they're being attacked by verbal prejudice (most times unknowingly) because of a small minority of teenagers that caused issue which then the media picked up on and spiked fear into.

Stop looking at everything with a norrow view point and look at the bigger picture. No one has ever got personally insulted or attacked by someone simply wearing clothing round their head.

The world is already full of prejudice and discrimination. I was hoping out generation could put a stop to that since no one else is. Seems that's not gunna happen when there are articles like this showing otherwise.

Finally, someone talking logically
Original post by soIiIoquy
Finally, someone talking logically

Someone's got to, haha. Good to see not everyone is blind to the bigger picture :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending