The Student Room Group

Would you accept this Assistant Manager's salary?

Hi everyone,

I've just started a week away training with a job for a new restaurant. I was originally only going to be a Team Member but after dropping out of University I was offered the Assistant Manager's role. I thought everything was going great until I asked yesterday what my wage packet would be and they said NMW for my age, even for being the Assistant Manager.

Would you accept this for running a 170 seater restaurant? There's not even any job perks. I feel a bit cheated that I will be doing a lot of extra work for the same pay as I originally signed up for. Or is this just good for my CV as it's my first ever managerial role apart from Team Leader?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Original post by FelicityMarie
Hi everyone,

I've just started a week away training with a job for a new restaurant. I was originally only going to be a Team Member but after dropping out of University I was offered the Assistant Manager's role. I thought everything was going great until I asked yesterday what my wage packet would be and they said NMW for my age, even for being the Assistant Manager.

Would you accept this for running a 170 seater restaurant? There's not even any job perks. I feel a bit cheated that I will be doing a lot of extra work for the same pay as I originally signed up for. Or is this just good for my CV as it's my first ever managerial role apart from Team Leader?

No, you’re not even the lowest person. If you’re promoted to assistant manager a pay rise should come with
Reply 2
Hi everyone,

Don't forget that Team Members will receive any tips, whereas the Assistant Manager will not.
Thanks for your advice guys. Now I just have to tell the scary head office guy that I won't accept a promotion with no pay rise to go with it.

The Assistant Manager's in their other stores also only get NMW and haven't said anything. They must be nuts.
Thanks for your advice guys. Now I just have to tell the scary head office guy that I won't accept a promotion with no pay rise to go with it.

The Assistant Manager's in their other stores also only get NMW and haven't said anything. They must be nuts.

Yeah because you would need to take on more responsibility and like the other post said you won’t get tips in that role so more like a pay reduction
Reply 5
You should definitely be getting more than the Team Members. Good luck with the 'scary head office guy'!
Thanks for all your advice everyone. They refused to give me a pay rise and in the end I just left. They treated me like absolute dirt and now I've moved on to a bigger and better company who pay me more for being a Team Leader.
Reply 7
Thanks for all your advice everyone. They refused to give me a pay rise and in the end I just left. They treated me like absolute dirt and now I've moved on to a bigger and better company who pay me more for being a Team Leader.

Their loss, glad you found something better!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending