The Student Room Group

Is a labourer a good career

So just wondering if this would be a career worth perusing or if I should look else were. I’m 30 years old and have been on long term disability due to autism for far too long, and after looking at the wages you can earn it’s a lot more than what I get on disability. Plus with a labourer job you can be out in all weathers which is sort of attracting me because that’s the sort of work I’m after.

Going back to college in September to do level 1 carpentry and joinery, but looking around there seems to be more of a call for labourers, plus some labourer vaccines just say experience preferred but not essential which is good. Everywhere I look carpentry and joinery wise either want level 2 or 3 (my local college only does level 1 for 19+) or they want experience which I can’t get if they don’t take you on.

So I know what a labourer does but what is an average day like or is there any chance of progressing onto other jobs within the construction industry if you start of as a labourer?
Manual labour is very physically demanding.
Comes with the potential for sustaining serious injuries while working on site as well as long term adverse health inplications connected with the physically intensive elements inherent to this type of work.
It is probably not the most suitable job for people with serious long term health issues that are eligible to receive disability benefits.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Manual labour is very physically demanding.
Comes with the potential for sustaining serious injuries while working on site as well as long term adverse health inplications connected with the physically intensive elements inherent to this type of work.
It is probably not the most suitable job for people with serious long term health issues that are eligible to receive disability benefits.

Autism isn’t a “health issue” taken from google “autism is a neurodevelopmental condition of variable severity with lifelong effects that can be recognized from early childhood, chiefly characterized by difficulties with social interaction and communication and by restricted or repetitive patterns of thought and behaviour”

So I’m only on disability benefits because the doctors said I have communication issues and struggle to do certain things, but everything a labourer does I could potentially do
Reply 3
For a fit person who likes working out doors labouring is a good way to see how the various construction industries work. You have autism, but providing you disclose this to potential employers, it shouldn't hold you back. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending