The Student Room Group

Teaching careers

I’d love to become a teacher but I’m unsure if I’ll get the grades to get a degree in Education.
Is being a Teaching Assistant just as good?
Can a TA salary be manageable to live on as a first income earner?
I’m worried about my future options.
I’m doing a BTEC in Travel and tourism L3.
Reply 1
Original post by Syed998
I’d love to become a teacher but I’m unsure if I’ll get the grades to get a degree in Education.
Is being a Teaching Assistant just as good?
Can a TA salary be manageable to live on as a first income earner?
I’m worried about my future options.
I’m doing a BTEC in Travel and tourism L3.

TA is a very different job to a teacher and in my view the pay they get is an insult. Frankly I am amazed people even apply for the role of TA. It is such a challenging job and you can earn more elsewhere with few skills and still get paid more.

Why not see if you can get some experience in a school and talk to the TAs to ask how they get on and what they like about the role.
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
TA is a very different job to a teacher and in my view the pay they get is an insult. Frankly I am amazed people even apply for the role of TA. It is such a challenging job and you can earn more elsewhere with few skills and still get paid more.

Why not see if you can get some experience in a school and talk to the TAs to ask how they get on and what they like about the role.

I’ve been getting experience as a classroom assistant volunteer since June 2022.
I’ll defo ask around and see others experiences.
I’m mainly worried bout the pay.
Reply 3
Original post by Syed998
I’ve been getting experience as a classroom assistant volunteer since June 2022.
I’ll defo ask around and see others experiences.
I’m mainly worried bout the pay.

I think that is a reasonable worry given how low it it. At my last school, TAs were contracted something like 8.15am to 4pm and got paid something like £20k. My starting salary in 2000 was £20k.

Another thought is that you go out into the real world and get a "real" job outside education and gain some life skills. Then you can look at getting a degree / PGCE or whatever later in life when you have figured it all out. I can't help feel that going to school then into university (education) then back into school is a pretty drab existence as you will never know anything other than school life and believe me, school life is about as far removed from reality as it is possible to get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending