The Student Room Group

Meat eaters listen up

Scroll to see replies

You know what ok. But your missing out on KFC BRUH but more for meeee 🙃🙃🙃
If you aren't here for a debate and this post is a copy and paste of another website that have previously been mentioned, what is the point of this exactly?
Original post by gfdhdfghdfgh
]##

Well looks like this one is abit slow,its ok you were probably to stupid to grasp any of my points anyway,
All I can say is enjoy wilfully contributing to the suffering of animals and the increase chance of acquiring various cancers and other health problems.

Oh I get it now. You're either a troll or so far up your own arse you actually think this a legit way to communicate with people, and apparently can't read.

Good talk.
No no its has not. Plants of not conscious beings you fool

yes it has, you can't pick and choose what suits your agenda if you are going to rely on science.
Nah, if the whole world was vegan, it would destroy so many ecosystems in our search for useable agricultural land that it would harm more animals than if we eat meat. A lot of animal feed can be produced on land not suitable for human crops. It's actually more unethical to ask the whole world to become vegan.
Reply 25
Big Up Veganism, I rep that **** hard. One of the main reasons I quit the Army Reserve.
Reply 26
Original post by Guru Jason
Nah, if the whole world was vegan, it would destroy so many ecosystems in our search for useable agricultural land that it would harm more animals than if we eat meat. A lot of animal feed can be produced on land not suitable for human crops. It's actually more unethical to ask the whole world to become vegan.

You are so retarded it hurts. Where do you think the animals we rear get their food? There are over 60 billion farmed animals on this planet rn. How much land do you think that takes up?
Reply 27
Original post by joyoustele
yes it has, you can't pick and choose what suits your agenda if you are going to rely on science.

Plants don't have pain receptors.
Original post by JSSB
You are so retarded it hurts. Where do you think the animals we rear get their food? There are over 60 billion farmed animals on this planet rn. How much land do you think that takes up?

Not as much as it takes to feed 7 billion humans 3 meals a day. The feed vs food debate has been around a long time and constantly comes down on the side of food. And like I said there is much more useable animal crop land than there is useable for humans. But of course you resort to insults because you have no actual arguement.
I’m a committed vegan, and have been for over 20 years now. I’m also an atheist, and have been for even longer. Over the years, I’ve often had to defend my position on veganism, so I’ve got quite good at arguing my case. However, I have previously often used “belief” as an argument. I’ve often been told that veganism is akin to a religion, which I generally haven’t tried to refute, mainly due to the advantage of the “false reverence” that religions get favoured with. However, I’m re-thinking this position, after recently reading TGD. I want to discard the belief argument and replace it with some better, more scientific reasoning.
I’m specifically NOT looking for arguments against veganism so please don’t clog up the discussion with arguments in that direction.
My reasoning so far:
1. The human body is not well equipped to deal with eating or digesting meat our teeth are the wrong type, our gut is too long and our metabolism is too alkaline. I’m not denying that we have survived the ice-ages, and at least to an extent been shaped by our habit of eating meat, and that in particular, it is possible that our brains might not have developed to their current size and capacity without a meat-based diet, but I also hold the view that this has been relatively speaking so recent in our line of descent that in evolutionary terms, we have not yet made most of the required adaptations to be considered proper omnivores, let alone carnivores. Furthermore, we lack the natural tools for killing and eating prey we lack the requisite speed, agility, claws and teeth for taking down any prey of sufficient size to be useful Ozzy Osbourne’s famous Hamster eating habit doesn’t really qualify.
2. Even disregarding all the physiological evidence, we evidently DO NOT NEED meat or animal products in our diets to be healthy. Although I’m only one example (there are many more however) I’m still here today after 20+ years of veganism, and I am healthy, apart from some excess fat! (I’m working on that). I’ve recently had my “health test for old geezers”, and my blood glucose, cholesterol and blood pressure all came out fine. I’m sure there are many counter-points where vegans who have not paid the right amount of attention to their diets have suffered as a result, but that’s different from a vegan diet per se being deficient. In fact there is mounting empirical medical evidence that a plant-based diet is far more healthy than anything containing animal products.
3. Even disregarding the first two points, a vegan diet is more sustainable and less demanding on the environment than a meat-and/or-dairy based diet, with a vegan diet taking about a 10th of the resources land, water, fuel etc. to maintain. So from an ecological stand-point, veganism is the best option for the future our world resources can sustain a much larger population as vegans than omnivores. People often point out that this or that “essential vegan foodstuff” is environmentally unfriendly for example deforestation of the rainforests to grow soya beans but they ignore the fact that the majority of soya produced is used for animal feed.
4. Capacity for suffering any creature with a nervous system is capable of perceiving pain, and thus suffering; it is also evident (and science is now proving) that many animals also share the capacity for conciousness and sentience, even if they don’t share the SAME levels as humans do, so where should you draw the line? If animals are not biological automata; if they feel complex emotions such as pleasure, anger, fear, sadness, anxiety; if they show complex social behaviours such as altruism, co-operation, self-sacrifice, leadership and following, friendship, pairing, loyalty and even “morals”, as we do; if they exhibit responses to pleasure and pain aren’t they entitled to respect on that basis?
5. Because of our huge and capricious brains, and our “refined sense of morality”, we can CHOOSE not to knowlingly and intentionally exploit other species, just because their flesh tastes good or they produce secretions that we like.

If you’re looking for arguments in favour of veganism, why are you directing this thread towards meat-eaters instead of vegans?

Also, are you not just exhibiting confirmation bias here? You’re asking for arguments in favour of veganism, and telling us you’re not interested in hearing arguments against it. So rather than looking at the arguments and evidence holistically and coming to the best, reasoned and unbiased conclusion, you’re just getting people to tell you what you already believe anyway.
This is quite possibly the worse way to argue a position.
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
"Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it." ~Genesis 9:3-4

Looks like someone is trying to argue with God

There goes my love for medium rare steak
IMG_1888.JPG
Reply 33
Not as much as it takes to feed 7 billion humans 3 meals a day. The feed vs food debate has been around a long time and constantly comes down on the side of food. And like I said there is much more useable animal crop land than there is useable for humans. But of course you resort to insults because you have no actual arguement.

👏🏻
No no its has not. Plants of not conscious beings you fool

Actually they've found that plants know when they're being eaten.
Original post by JSSB
👏🏻

Seems like another newbie incapable of actually discussion or debate. Come back with a proper argument them maybe I'll rise to your obvious bait.
Reply 36
Seems like another newbie incapable of actually discussion or debate. Come back with a proper argument them maybe I'll rise to your obvious bait.

Honestly all your 'points' are so ****ing retarded. Did you stick crayons up your nose when you were a child? Is that why you are mentally broken? Go choke on your boyfriends sausage you baby eating b itch.
Original post by dahdah
Honestly all your 'points' are so ****ing retarded. Did you stick crayons up your nose when you were a child? Is that why you are mentally broken? Go choke on your boyfriends sausage you baby eating b itch.

If my points were 'retarded' then you would have refuted them by now so i'll wait but i feel i'll be waiting a while.

Ah yes, insults, the last refuge of the defenseless.
Reply 38
1. The human body is not well equipped to deal with eating or digesting meat our teeth are the wrong type,
So why do humans have teeth designed for catching and eating meat?

Humans are omnivores, and have teeth suited to that diet.

Also, we are not "well equopped" for walking on two legs. I assume tehrefore that yo go around on all fours?
No?
Whyever not?

Furthermore, we lack the natural tools for killing and eating prey we lack the requisite speed, agility, claws and teeth for taking down any prey of sufficient size to be useful
And yet, we are the species most efficient at procuring dietary meat.
Are you seriously claiming that we should only do those things that our physiology is suited for?

2. Even disregarding all the physiological evidence, we evidently DO NOT NEED
OK. So you believe that we should only do those things that WE NEED to do.
I'd love to do a "NEED" audit on your lifestyle.

3. Even disregarding the first two points, a vegan diet is more sustainable and less demanding on the environment than a meat-and/or-dairy based diet,
Excellent! So you only undertake activities that are "environmentally sustainable". If only everone could be like you!

4. Capacity for suffering
Again, good for you. You do not inflict any unnecessary suffering on your fellow animals (other than the "holier than thou" vegan diatribes)

5. Because of our huge and capricious brains, and our “refined sense of morality”, we can CHOOSE
Some people make choices that you don't agree with.
Boo ****ing hoo.
(edited 6 years ago)
In fact there is mounting empirical medical evidence that a plant-based diet is far more healthy than anything containing animal products.

No, there are lots of correlation studies where a survey of whatever kind will look at a vegetarian or vegan group and a meat eater group for some health related factor.

Vegetarians and vegans are generally more health conscious - if you're prepared to make that change in your diet then you're probably disciplined and pay attention to your health. The meat eater group, on the other hand, includes health conscious meat eaters who eat moderate amounts of meat and exercise regularly as well as those who really don't care. You're comparing a health conscious group to the average person, so of course there's going to be a difference.

Vegetarianism also forces you to eat more vegetables because it's all you can eat. And it automatically cuts out a lot of unhealthy crap that isn't vegetarian suitable - but you can achieve both of those things on a diet that includes meat.

It's a case of correlation not necessarily meaning a causal link. I'm yet to be convinced that vegetarian and vegan diets are inherently any healthier than diets that include meat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending