The Student Room Group

Should women/Girls keep their Maiden Name after marrying?

This will then also translate into their children requiring both parents names in their Passports in case they are traveling with one parent to clear immigration and prove the paternity/Maternity.

Scroll to see replies

Of course they should. Why should they give up on their surnames just because they got married?
Original post by Dyingfrog
Of course they should. Why should they give up on their surnames just because they got married?

I absolutely agree with this but many don’t keep their maiden names. Some professional girls have all their educational certificates in their maiden names. This will help them to use easily their certificates too.
Original post by AB710344
This will then also translate into their children requiring both parents names in their Passports in case they are traveling with one parent to clear immigration and prove the paternity/Maternity.

When I get married, I’d want to change my surname if my SO’s surname was cool. If it was something ordinary like ‘Smith’ (no offence to any Smiths :smile:) then I probably won’t:biggrin:

But really, why not let the girls decide? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anna1029
When I get married, I’d want to change my surname if my SO’s surname was cool. If it was something ordinary like ‘Smith’ (no offence to any Smiths :smile:) then I probably won’t:biggrin:

It is good to have a choice and you don’t feel that there is a compulsion here.
Reply 5
Only if its funny, I know a man call Knutt and hoping he would marry a woman called Hazel but he did not. Like wise if a woman called Chelsea married a man with the surname Bunn, she should definitely change her name.
It should be up to them what they do.
Original post by Maker
Only if its funny, I know a man call Knutt and hoping he would marry a woman called Hazel but he did not. Like wise if a woman called Chelsea married a man with the surname Bunn, she should definitely change her name.

One of my mums friends surname is Dho and she married a man whose surname is Nutt so now theyre Dho-Nutts 😂
Entirely a personal choice but I did because we wanted, and had, children. We are a family and share everything, including surnames
Original post by Dyingfrog

i agree i feel as if we were to adopt our husband's surname as our own then we are the property of men.
we have the right to keep our maiden name!
It's an entirely personal choice.

As long as a mother who has a different name to her child, carries her child's birth certificate with her, then quite frankly there should be no issues in terms of using a passport. The mother's passport is her identification. That should be enough.

I'm only 18, marriage will be some way off for me, but I'm already adamant I will keep my surname. It's uncommon (only a few thousand with it in the UK), people always comment what a lovely surname it is, and I don't want to lose it. I would pass my name on to any children as well. The only exception to this would be, is in the unlikely situation that I marry someone with an even nicer last name!
It should be down to personal preference.
people should be able to choose whatever name they like for themselves at, say, age 16. if you think that Susan Jones is not really you then change it to Princess Lavabomb Nando Serviette.
Original post by the bear
people should be able to choose whatever name they like for themselves at, say, age 16. if you think that Susan Jones is not really you then change it to Princess Lavabomb Nando Serviette.

Or Princess Consuela Banana Hammock
I’d definitely keep my name, I love this history behind it. If I had kids they’d get my name too, if the guy wanted in on the family name he’s welcome to change his. He can give his last name to the babies he painfully pushes out of his body.
Reply 15
Their choice?
Original post by RossB1702
Or Princess Consuela Banana Hammock

hmmm there are too many of those :emo:

for boys ...

Jehosaphat Cornerkick 360 no-scope Deltaforce Minesalager
Reply 17
Original post by the bear
hmmm there are too many of those :emo:

for boys ...

Jehosaphat Cornerkick 360 no-scope Deltaforce Minesalager

Went to school with that guy. Was as much of a douche as his name suggests.
Reply 18
Original post by cat_mac
I’d definitely keep my name, I love this history behind it. If I had kids they’d get my name too, if the guy wanted in on the family name he’s welcome to change his. He can give his last name to the babies he painfully pushes out of his body.

unless the woman was already famous or something .. as a man I would be offended if she refused to take my name.

I'm not really keen on marriage anyway, and most likely my response would be "no, name, no marriage.."
Every woman should do what they want to do. We are nolonger in 1900 where you had to do what the man wanted you to do.

If you want to keep your maiden name, by all means, you should be free to do so.

If you want to take your husband's name, feel free as well.

Your name, your choices. This should not even be up for discussion!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending