The Student Room Group

Prevenge - British feminist movie celebrating sexual abuse and violence against men

Violence against men is very commonly celebrated and encouraged in feminist literature and movies.

Prevenge is a recent example of just that. It's a British comedy/horror movie. It was written and directed by feminist Alice Lowe. She co-stars the film too, alongside a cast of other feminist actresses. It was released in cinema here in the UK in February last year and on DvD later that year.

http://kfd-admin.piggy.co.uk/site/assets/files/1710/prevenge_banner-1900x600px.jpg

In short, the movie follows a pregnant serial killer who goes around gruesomely killing men (and some women) guided by a female voice that she hears emanating from her vagina/womb. The movie depicts acts of violence by the feminist protagonist against men that involve male genital mutilation, castration and sexual abuse. It makes light of and celebrates this violence/abuse.

Reviews of the movie:

“Gruesomely successful” 4 stars, The Guardian
“A feminist, score-settling slasher with a satirical edge” Sight & Sound
“A smart, risky, one-off” Variety
“Uniquely exhilarating” The Hollywood Reporter
“A breathtaking, savage debut” 4.5 stars, We Got This Covered

but perhaps the most disturbing review of this movie comes from the pen of feminist activist/Guardian journalist Sarah Ditum.

The review is titled Prevenge: in a world of male violence, seeing monstrous women is a thrill. Why I love watching women commit acts of violence on screen!!

She starts her review of the movie celebrating a castaration of a man by the feminist protagonist in the film calling it “the best thing you will see this year”. She writes:

"The best thing you’ll see in the cinema this year is a big man called DJ Dan looking down in horror as he realises that the thing slithering down his leg and onto his living room floor is his testicle, unleashed from its ballsack by the knife held by heavily pregnant Ruth (played by Alice Lowe). Or, if the death-by-castration of DJ Dan an entirely appropriate response to his pick-up patter about the easiness of “fat birds” doesn’t grab you, maybe one of the other grisly highlights of Lowe’s maternity-slasher movie Prevenge will."

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/film/2017/02/prevenge-world-male-violence-seeing-monstrous-women-thrill
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

For context, I've seen this film. I actually thought it was fairly mediocre.

However I'm confused as to why you think this film is seen as "celebrating" violence against men simply because there is a sexualised element to one or two of the deaths (by my count the number of "normal" killings outweighs the sexualised ones). She's clearly portrayed as mentally unhinged and has a very clear shared motivation for targeting all of her victims of both genders- she and "the baby" deem them responsible for her husband's death. She doesn't take any additional relish in the men she kills over the women either. It's no more a celebration of violence against men than a film like American Psycho is a celebration of violence against women, just because it happens to be a woman holding the knife and the film being a dark comedy. It just sounds like the sort of tripe a community like r/redpill would use to fabricate outrage over a piece of generally unremarkable cinema because there's not a lot else to shout about on a given tuesday.
What the hell?

The whole point of feminism is EQUALITY not SUPREMACY.
The writer and director of the film is described as having the killer going around killing men (and some women) for the purpose of and I quote "ridding the world of misogyny". The reviews describe it as a feminist flick that celebrates violence against men. Its so blatant, how you missed all of this whilst watching the movie is beyond me. Its so blatantly wrong. Its disgusting.

I don't think you've read Sarah Ditum's review of the movie which speaks volumes. I've linked it above. I recommend you do that for an insight into the point of this thread.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CookieButter
Violence against men is very commonly celebrated and encouraged in feminist literature and movies.

Prevenge is a recent example of just that. It's a British comedy/horror movie. It was written and directed by feminist Alice Lowe. She co-stars the film too, alongside a cast of other feminist actresses. It was released in cinema here in the UK in February last year and on DvD later that year.

http://kfd-admin.piggy.co.uk/site/assets/files/1710/prevenge_banner-1900x600px.jpg

In short, the movie follows a pregnant serial killer who goes around gruesomely killing men (and some women) guided by a female voice that she hears emanating from her vagina/womb. The movie depicts acts of violence by the feminist protagonist against men that involve male genital mutilation, castration and sexual abuse. It makes light of and celebrates this violence/abuse.

Reviews of the movie:

“Gruesomely successful” 4 stars, The Guardian
“A feminist, score-settling slasher with a satirical edge” Sight & Sound
“A smart, risky, one-off” Variety
“Uniquely exhilarating” The Hollywood Reporter
“A breathtaking, savage debut” 4.5 stars, We Got This Covered

but perhaps the most disturbing review of this movie comes from the pen of feminist activist/Guardian journalist Sarah Ditum.

The review is titled Prevenge: in a world of male violence, seeing monstrous women is a thrill. Why I love watching women commit acts of violence on screen!!

She starts her review of the movie celebrating a castaration of a man by the feminist protagonist in the film calling it “the best thing you will see this year”. She writes:

"The best thing you’ll see in the cinema this year is a big man called DJ Dan looking down in horror as he realises that the thing slithering down his leg and onto his living room floor is his testicle, unleashed from its ballsack by the knife held by heavily pregnant Ruth (played by Alice Lowe). Or, if the death-by-castration of DJ Dan an entirely appropriate response to his pick-up patter about the easiness of “fat birds” doesn’t grab you, maybe one of the other grisly highlights of Lowe’s maternity-slasher movie Prevenge will."

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/film/2017/02/prevenge-world-male-violence-seeing-monstrous-women-thrill

That's fine maybe women will be satisfied that they can be the greater sex in a fictional film because it will never happen in real life so dream on.
Disgusting feminazi crap.
Reply 6
Some men are trying so hard to be oppressed. Was Sean of the Dead celebrating zombies and the destruction of the human race? (another british comedy/horror) is the Scream franchise celebrating stalking and violence against women? No.

If this movie was genuinely about feminists castrating and killing men and celebrating it then that would be outrageous and wrong. But a movie about an unhinged pregnant woman murdering people (not just men, and not just in sexual ways) because she’s holding them responsible for her husband’s death, it isn’t the ignition for your fire.
The writer and director of the film describes the killer as going around killing men (and some women) for the purpose of and I quote "ridding the world of misogyny".

Can you provide a link to this quote please?
Its from her movies review from The Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/prevenge-mother-bloodbaths-review/

Apologies for not expanding on that quote.
(edited 6 years ago)
Its from her movies review from The Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/prevenge-mother-bloodbaths-review/

Apologies for not expanding on that quote.

Yeah, a few tiny problems here:
*You said that it was the film's writer and director that said that (you literally used the phrase "and I quote" ), but this is a review written by someone else. I cannot find any source of the writer/director making remarks to the sentiment of "ridding the world of misogyny".

*The review is written by Patrick Smith. It will probably not surprise you to learn that Patrick Smith is a man, making it "his review in the telegraph" and not "her review in the telegraph".

*You've completely cherrypicked and reworded half a sentence from the review to misinterpret the author's perspective on the film. The relevant passage reads;

"her targets at first appear to be picked at random, perhaps part of some extreme feminist plan to purge the world of misogyny. But as the bodies mount up, so a link begins to emerge not for nothing is the word revenge included in the title"

...Which by some magic coincidence completely validates my original post- that revenge is the motive and not some warped form of feminism.
(edited 6 years ago)
These are indeed tiny problems...you are nit picking desperately trying find flaws to try justify something that is so clearly unjustifiable and what the hell does it matter that a man wrote this one review? Are you a sexist or something? but of course you are. You are a feminist. Opinions in your head do not matter when they are written by men.... besides the review is positive and glowing....does making sense mean anything to you? and no I did not cherry pick anything...I chose a ton of other reviews which confirm exactly what I said...you are the one cherry picking...you latch on to this one review and ignore everything else that I have written as if that one review "which is written by a man" is the defining point of this thread...get the hell out...your desperation is comical. Often I get feminists, when they have nothing to offer in defence of their hate filled ideology, dismissing what I say because of spelling mistakes in my texts...silly errors that do not make the slightest bit of difference...this speaks volumes for what you people stand for. You stand for deception, distortion, manipulation. You people will go to any lengths to dismiss counter arguments and since your ideology is based entirely on hate and lies you have no choice but to resort to nit picking nonsense.

Everyone who has watched this film including all the reviewers forgetting the one "written by the man", the ones written by women!!! have clearly seen the feminist agenda in it and understood the moral behind it and celebrate that feminist moral. I am sure you saw it clearly too. Anyone that watches that film would see it clearly. Its that obvious....but you do not have the courage to admit to it because you know the consequences of admitting to the sexism that is in it...

You are trying to justify this nonsense by doing what you are accusing me of doing....cherry picking....you refuse until now to refer to the review by Sarah because that review would totally destroy the nonsense that you have written in all your replies. You are clearly here to justify this feminist hate.
(edited 6 years ago)
These are indeed tiny problems...you are nit picking desperately trying find flaws to try justify something that is so clearly unjustifiable

No, I'm nitpicking because you claimed the quote came from the director of the film. It didn't.

and what the hell does it matter that a man wrote this one review?

Besides your blatant quote mine falsely interpreting what the writer said, I thought there was a bit of irony in accusing a man of advocating for violence against men.

Are you a sexist or something? but of course you are. You are a feminist. Opinions in your head do not matter when they are written by men.... besides the review is positive and glowing....does making sense mean anything to you?

:laugh:

For the record I don't consider myself as feminist, I support equality between genders but in all honesty the sort of petty debates like this one and the rest of the crap that pollutes the internet that people associate with feminism annoy the hell out of me. The only reason I clicked in this thread was because the title was about an obscure film not a lot of people saw that I though an interesting conversation could be had about.

and no I did not cherry pick anything...

You literally took a single quote, reworded it and stripped it of crucial context to change it's meaning. That is cherry picking. You then also falsely credited the quote to the writer and director of the film when it came from someone completely different.

I chose a ton of reviews all of which confirm exactly what I said...

Let's take a look through those reviews shall we?

* "Gruesomely successful", The Guardian: Says absolutely nothing that can be construed as "celebrating sexual abuse and violence against men" with no mention at all of feminism or gender roles.

* "A feminist, score settling slasher", Sight & Sound: The review discusses the subversion of tropes surrounding pregnant women specifically, it never gets broader than that and once again says nothing to confirm your points about "celebrating sexual abuse and violence against men"

* "A smart, risky one-off" Variety : Once again disagreeing with you as long as you can read whole paragraphs: "it seems she might be on an extremist feminist cleansing mission. But when a chilly career woman is next up for the chop, it turns out Ruth’s killing impulse is a lot more specific than that, while her general misanthropy is a lot less discriminating.

* “Uniquely exhilarating”, The Hollywood Reporter: Another review concentrating on the film's subversion of tropes associated with pregnancy and helplessness, with no mention of gender roles or "celebrating sexual abuse and violence against men".

* “A breathtaking, savage debut” 4.5 stars, We Got This Covered: Once again discussing subversion of pregnancy tropes with the closest thing to mentioning gender roles is mentioning how this is a male dominated genre.

Aaaand finally we have the New Statesman review, which is indeed overtly feminist but that's in reference to the author's love of films about female killers and beyond the clickbaity title and her enjoyment of the most graphic and comedic death in the film, says nothing about Prevenge specifically in terms of your original claims of "celebrating sexual abuse and violence against men".

So yeah, that's one out of six reviews that agrees with you.

you are the one cherry picking...

Wrong.

you latch on to this one review and ignore everything else that I have written

Wrong.

as if that one review "which is written by a man" is the defining point of this thread...

I was pointing out how you were trying to pass of a man's review as the words of the film's director.

get the hell out...

Nah, I'm good where I am :yy:

Everyone who has watched this film including all the reviewers forgetting the one "written by the man", the ones written by women!!! have clearly seen the feminist agenda in it

Wrong.

and understood the moral behind it and celebrate that feminist moral.

Wrong.

I am sure you saw it clearly too.

Nah.

Anyone that watches that film would see it clearly. Its that obvious....

Wrong.

but you do not have the courage to admit to it because you know the consequences of admitting to sexism that is in it...

Nah.

You are trying to justify this nonsense by doing what you are accusing me of doing....cherry picking....

Because you have failed to prove your claims that the author made this film about "ridding the world of misogyny" and then tried to pass off somebody else's words as her own.

you refuse until now to refer to the review by Sarah because that review would totally destroy the nonsense that you have written in all your replies.

Nah.

You are clearly here to justify this feminist hate.

Nah.
(edited 6 years ago)
I corrected that mistake soon after I had quoted it. I think it was six minutes...you are nit picking. You are clutching on this one irrelevant review and ignoring everything else as if it were the defining point of this thread...you claimed that because this thread is wrong that that renders the movie about revenge and you ignore all the other reviews...so yeah mate you are clutching on straws......

lol...so you think that him being a man somehow protects him from being sexist or discriminatory against men?

People can hate their own kind. Rotten ideologies such as feminism have that effect on people. Feminist icon John Paul Sartre, the man who pioneered the concept of the patriarchy and taught "the mother of feminism" Simone De Beauvoir everything that she knew...was a sexist man hater. He was raised by a single mother and kept throughout his life separated from men. He grew up to adopt marxism, communism and pioneer feminism. In his diary he writes the following passage of boys and men:

"I learnt to sent the male, to fear and loathe him"

I've come across black people raised in white neighbourhoods who despise blacks more than their white counterparts. I've come across white folk raised in black neighbourhoods who loathe white people.

Being male does not shield you from being a man-hating sexist who supports and enjoys violence against men.

Keep telling yourself that.

Therein lies your problem. Is treating two different entities identically fair? that is equality and equality is not a fair concept.

These kind of debates annoy you because they show the ugly face of the ideology that you support and that is a good thing. The more ignoramuses like you get annoyed the better we are doing our job.

You dont need to justify yourself. I'm not as petty as you are. I'm going to call you out for expressing your interest in a debate that you find petty. I'm going to thank you for keeping it active, and though this might not be your intention, give it more attention.

I wrote this thread based on what I remember from this topic 1 year ago. I didn't intentionally misquote anyone but lets assume that I did. Discard that flawed reference. What are you left with? The same argument. The argument does not change at all having lost that one reference.

Look up the words cognitive dissonance. You suffer from this quite badly.

Basically, you proved exactly what I wrote in my last comment from what you have written about those reviews. You are willing to go to any lengths to justify the hate. You are not here to debate a topic that you find interesting...you are a feminist and you are here to clutch on straws and justify hate, regardless of the truth.
(edited 6 years ago)
I corrected that mistake soon after I had quoted it. I think it was six minutes...you are nit picking

Your post still says this:

The writer and director of the film is described as having the killer going around killing men (and some women) for the purpose of and I quote "ridding the world of misogyny".

You are still either falsely attributing this quote from the reviewer to the director, or they're saying it somewhere else and you've not provided a link yet as I requested previously.

Look up the words cognitive dissonance. You suffer from this quite badly.

Again, you replied to me saying "I chose a ton of reviews all of which confirm exactly what I said."

onfirm exactly what I said." when in fact they are all quite the contrary. You are more than welcome to quote excerpts from each review that confirm exactly what you said, rather than just throwing out insults.
I'm not. "The writer and author of the film ARE DESCRIBED as having"..etc etc. How desperate are you? seriously...this is becoming absurd.

They confirm exactly what I said, praise for the film from feminist media outlets in some reviews and support for the moral of the story from others...This discussion has got to the point now where its just really become ridiculous...

Anyone that has any doubt about the message and the sexism and the misandry in this film PLEASE WATCH IT....like the majority of people who have seen this film with the exception of minority like the fella that I am replying to here the sexist message promoting violence against men is clear...

Something that i really find comical and hypocritical about all this is that one main argument by feminists is that there is too much violence against women in movies and that any violence against women in moves is wrong and an example of sexism yet here we have people like you trying justify this film and its violence against men and women...Feminism....what a joke.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not. "The writer and author of the film ARE DESCRIBED as having"..etc etc. How desperate are you? seriously...this is becoming absurd.

I misread your edit, apologies. I now recognise that you conceded on the original point I made.

They confirm exactly what I said, praise for the film from feminist media outlets in some reviews and support for the moral of the story from others...This has got to the point now where its just really become ridiculous...

You're right, this really has become ridiculous.

So just to confirm, you agree that none of the reviews actually say anything that explicitly "confirm exactly what I said", and that their positive reviews of the film is tantamount to supporting a message that neither they or the film's director actually acknowledges, because they might feminist news outlets?

Anyone that has any doubt about the message and the sexism and the misandry in this film PLEASE WATCH IT....like the majority of people who have seen this film with the exception of the fella that I am replying to here the sexist message promoting violence against men is clear.

I also urge people to watch it, because it's a half decent horror comedy and better than most of the shite that passes for comedy coming out of Hollywood these days. Other horror comedies I'd recommend are Tucker & Dale Verus Evil, and The Cabin in the Woods :yy:
Gofre you made excuses for each and every single one. That was my point. You suffer from cognitive dissonance. There is no convincing you. If I show a feminist killing a man for being a man you would try to justify the killing as anything but sexism. Cognitive dissonance is a disease that afflicts people who subscribe to ideologies such as feminism that are are clearly wrong. The only way they can justify them is through distortion. Despite the reviews clearly being praiseful of the violence and/or supportive of it you went out of your way to try to make excuse for them. Did you even read the Sarah review? Because if you had you would have clearly noticed her references to the feminist undertones of the film supporting violence against those who are disagreeable with this ideology ie. women who do not accept it and all men. let me just throw this quote at you real quick:

"You could choose Ruth sitting astride a man and ramming a gilt statue through his eye-socket; or Ruth butchering a chilly businesswoman who smirkingly explains at the end of a job interview that it just wouldn’t make sense to hire a woman who’s about to have a baby."

This film to anyone who watched it is clearly advocating violence against men and non-feminists...I'm honestly starting now to question whether or not you have really seen this film. You cannot come to any other conclusion if you have. Its as clear as light. So you are either extremely ignorant which is possible and the moral just flew right over your head or you are lying and i think the latter is more likely to be the case. You've not seen this film.

lol...now I know that you've not seen it...it was terrible. Its at best a B-movie...it was a huge flop. It lost money. It brought in 90 thousand pounds and it cost like a 100k ...very few people saw it.... which is why I'm kind of now thinking you might have not really seen this movie. If you had seen it and you have any taste in movies you would have walked out ten minutes into the film. Its not funny. Its not scary. Its just a film with a feminist message. Thats all it was. You can't even compare a film like The Cabin in the Woods to Prevenge. Its like comparing Saw to a freaking mystery science theatre 2000 film.
(edited 6 years ago)
Gofre you made excuses for each and every single one. That was my point. You suffer from cognitive dissonance. There is no convincing you.

I'm making this very simple for you, I'm asking for quotes from the reviews that you claim "confirm exactly what I said". You don't just get to say they're feminist outlets and call it a day.

If I show a feminist killing a man for being a man you would try to justify the killing as anything but sexism.

That's the whole point I was originally making- at no point in this movie does she kill a man for being a man. She kills men for being involved in her husband's death and she kills women for being involved in her husband's death.

Cognitive dissonance is a disease that afflicts people who subscribe to ideologies such as feminism that are are clearly wrong.

Cool :yy:

The only way they can justify them is through distortion. Despite the reviews clearly being praiseful of the violence and/or supportive of it you went out of your way to try to make excuse for them.

Would you like me to dig out a few dozen positive reviews of American Psycho as proof that the outlets are advocating for the murder of women?

Did you even read the Sarah review?

Yep.

Because if you had you would have clearly noticed her references to the feminist undertones of the film supporting violence against those who are disagreeable with this ideology ie. women who do not accept it and all men. let me just throw this quote at you real quick:

"You could choose Ruth sitting astride a man and ramming a gilt statue through his eye-socket; or Ruth butchering a chilly businesswoman who smirkingly explains at the end of a job interview that it just wouldn’t make sense to hire a woman who’s about to have a baby."

I've already agreed with you that the review explicitly and overtly feminist.

This film to anyone who watched is clearly advocating violence against men and non-feminists...

And yet none of the reviews which you're claiming back you up make any mention of this. To expand on my previous point, can you find me any review that explicitly picks up on this point, that the film is clearly advocating for this sort of violence and not just portraying it like any other horror film?

I'm honestly starting now to question whether or not you have really seen this film.

Well just to put you at ease, here's my post from the Film forum's movie challenge for 2017.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4481934&p=73829268&page=13&highlight=prevenge#post73829268

You cannot come to any other conclusion if you have.

And yet that is where I've ended up, it's a funny old world!

Its clear that you are either extremely ignorant which is possible and the moral just flew right over your head or you are lying and i think the latter is more likely to be the case. You've not seen this film.

If you say so :yy:

lol...now I know that you've not seen it...it was terrible. Its at best a B-movie...

You don't like it? What a surprise!

Like I said, I thought it was mediocre. I'd retroactively change my score to 6/10 but if I edited the post I linked to then you'd accuse me of having added the film in.

it was a huge flop. It lost money. It brought in 90 thousand pounds and it cost like a 100k ...very few people saw....

I really don't have the energy to get into a discussion on how box office performance doesn't equate to film quality, because it's a stupid point.

I'm kind of now thinking you might have not seen this movie. If you have seen it and you have any taste in movies you would have walked out ten minutes into the film. Its not funny. Its not scary. Its just a film with a feminist message. Thats all it was.

You're more than welcome to hold that opinion about the film and think whatever you like about my tastes in film. You can look through over 100 films I watched last year in your thread and make your mind up from there :yy:
Original post by jabbathemuttdog
What the hell?

The whole point of feminism is EQUALITY not SUPREMACY.

It's not ''equality'' at all.
Can't say I'm surprised considering who you're talking to. It's laughable isn't it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending