The Student Room Group

Is the death penalty neccessary?

Scroll to see replies

Death penalty for racism!
Original post by livxwaterman
Death penalty for Islamophobia and Xenophobia should exist.

Don't be ridiculous!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by rainbowcat1437
I mean it’s a pretty good deterrent. But then again if someone is mentally unstable and kills some one but ultimately wants to end their life then maybe not so effective

Yes but people who are mentally unstable are usually not given the death sentence, but instead put in an insitution
Original post by Monclér
Don't be ridiculous. You're about as smart as you look!

Hey hey now! This is mean.
Reply 24
Original post by erratic_deus
Death penalty for racism!

I agree, depending on the crime committed in relation to racism
Reply 25
Original post by Notoriety
When a suspect kidnaps a random member of society and locks them away in their house for many years, what is our response? We pick that suspect up off the street and we put them in a cell for many years. The difference is the lawfulness of the act: it is lawful when the suspect is imprisoned but not lawful when the suspect imprisoned their victim. The same logic holds for the death penalty.

That's an interesting point I had not considered. I guess the response to that would be well what else would you do to a kidnapper? put them to death thats a bit drastic. Fine them money? That doesn't go far enough. Putting them in a cell allows us to get them off the streets and allow the offender the opportunity at rehabilitation
Original post by jesswalton888
No where in that statement did I say you were foreign. By the sounds of it, I think you are unaware of how much money it costs to house each prisoner which is approximately £65,000 to imprison somebody in the UK and a further £40,000 each year they spend incarcerated. If somebody has been convicted of a brutal serial murders, they should be killed.

Every heard the saying "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth"?

And I think you're unaware of the millions it costs to put someone through the numerous rigourous trials in order to get to a verdict of death that reduces as far as possible the chance that they could be innocent.
Those millions vastly outstrip the relatively paltry sum you're quoting.

And yes, I have. A ******** phrase that serves nobody any good.
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
Hey hey now! This is mean.

I meant she looked very clever, but her comment wasn't

But I edited out the comment. Not to cause confusion.
Reply 28
Original post by jesswalton888
No where in that statement did I say you were foreign. By the sounds of it, I think you are unaware of how much money it costs to house each prisoner which is approximately £65,000 to imprison somebody in the UK and a further £40,000 each year they spend incarcerated. If somebody has been convicted of a brutal serial murders, they should be killed.

Every heard the saying "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth"?

Ever heard of an eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind ?
Original post by Heidi_16
I agree, depending on the crime committed in relation to racism

I think believing you are superior to another person and discriminating them based on their race is a crime punishable by death.

We all bleed the same color and no one should feel so isolated that they can't go to certain areas due to ethnicity.
Reply 30
I think believing you are superior to another person and discriminating them based on their race is a crime punishable by death.

We all bleed the same color and no one should feel so isolated that they can't go to certain areas due to ethnicity.

Exactly, but you cant necessarily sentence someone to death just because they have discriminated against you once - but if it is reoccurring and abusive then yes i totally agree
I agree with the death penalty and I think it should be around in the UK as there are some criminals who get less than a year punishment for serious crimes. But is it effective in the USA?

i think it should be the case. maybe we should have to ask their grieving families and see what they say. but ultimately if someone has killed someone who is close to you then you will want revenge for them. however if their is a reason, then it should be dealt with the justcice system. however prison time must be served regardless.
Reply 32

What about the people who were brought up in a time when racism was okay? I'm not excusing racism but I'm point out that racism in people in a product of what other people have been indoctrinated into again rehabilitation I vaguely remember the EDL guy who left the EDL after having an actual conversation with a muslim. Why do we need to exact retribution on people when we can educate them? And if they don't commit a crime and just are racist i.e don't act on their racist thoughts what are you going to charge them with being mentally racist? that's not a far cry from a thought police
Exactly, but you cant necessarily sentence someone to death just because they have discriminated against you once - but if it is reoccurring and abusive then yes i totally agree

I don't think it is okay to be racist at all.
I will not let anyone off if they were racist once. Why should I let them make someone else feel inferior due to their race?
Original post by Azraall

Did you make that one up? Why should the taxpayer contribute to millions housing some disgusting, vile and mentally unstable people that will NEVER contribute to society. What is their purpose?
Reply 35
Original post by Azraall

so you think its fair to kill someone and let someone walk away from it without any serious punishment? Yes they go to prison but there are worse situations to be in
Original post by Azraall
What about the people who were brought up in a time when racism was okay? I'm not excusing racism but I'm point out that racism in people in a product of what other people have been indoctrinated into again rehabilitation I vaguely remember the EDL guy who left the EDL after having an actual conversation with a muslim. Why do we need to exact retribution on people when we can educate them? And if they don't commit a crime and just are racist i.e don't act on their racist thoughts what are you going to charge them with being mentally racist? that's not a far cry from a thought police

Racism is never okay.
Anyone who was racist in a time where racism was "okay" should be punished because there are plenty of individuals who have died for trying to stop racism.
(RIP Sophia Scholl and her group)
Reply 37
Original post by Username00716
i think it should be the case. maybe we should have to ask their grieving families and see what they say. but ultimately if someone has killed someone who is close to you then you will want revenge for them. however if their is a reason, then it should be dealt with the justcice system. however prison time must be served regardless.

But is prison time really a good punishment? They live better than some ex-army people who now have no where to live
Nah. No one should have the right to take away anyone else’s life.

Plus, it’s an easy way out. I’d rather a murderer/pedo had to live a long and horrible life with what they did. Death is revenge, not punishment.

There will also always be cases or wrongful convictions, you can’t un-kill someone when new evidence comes to light years later.
Reply 39
Original post by cat_mac
Nah. No one should have the right to take away anyone else’s life.

Plus, it’s an easy way out. I’d rather a murderer/pedo had to live a long and horrible life with what they did. Death is revenge, not punishment.

There will also always be cases or wrongful convictions, you can’t un-kill someone when new evidence comes to light years later.

Yes maybe its the easy way out, but i would be happier knowing sick people have been killed rather than living an okay life in prison

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending