The Student Room Group

Why even bother trying to fit into society ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sint
Our system pushes young people too hard. It is refreshing to see someone stand up to this.

thank you

And I don't want to live on tesco sandwiches whilst discussing how much you drank at the weekend. Just not for me. You can't force me to live a certain way.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 41
Why is a person worse than Adolf Hitler if they choose to live on benefits ??

I don't understand the hate.
Original post by num.7
The only problem I have with that is that you're a benefits scrounger.

There is no such thing, you either qualify for certain benefits or you don’t.
Original post by num.7

So are people who get child benefit but they don't get demonised.
Reply 44
If you honestly loved you job and your life, you would not care that someone gets some free potatoes and 30 pounds a week for doing nothing.

But the hate is because you feel as though I am somehow stealing from you, as though I am treating you like a slave, abusing you and mistreating you.

You are choosing to work because you want to, whether or not people live on benefits.
Are you honestly in fear that everyone in society will become a manic depressive and do nothing all day ?

"it's not fair I work for a living and you don't" - this isn't an argument. you work because you want to. unless you had a slave job, which would only give you mental health problems anyway
(edited 6 years ago)
obviously if you are diagnosed with depression, it seems like heaven just to be able to hide away from the world your whole life (personal experience) but I kind of relate on the matter of following society’s expectations: get an education, get a job, settle down, find someone and marry then start a family. the idea of this may sound exciting to people but for some, it’ll be a nightmare. I guess your outlook on hiding away from the world is getting mixed up with resisting the average life. the only reason you want to resist society is to desire a more exciting life (like travelling, hiking, exploring etc.)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nalk1573
you have obviously never claimed benefits.

They do just give you money every week if you provide evidence you looked for work.
Interesting that you never responded to my post (post #41).

I take it you thought you'd be on Job Seekers Allowance forever? :lol:
...I am just lazy and depressed and I am fine with this. It's just what I am...

If you are depressed then you should seek professional help. Otherwise, sure, if you can stay out of the rat-race and be happy go for it.
Reply 48
Original post by snowman77

did you think you were going to get a philosophical, well balanced and rational argument from this debate ?
Reply 49
Original post by snowman77

that's nonsense anyway

If you don't find employment after 9 months, you just continue claiming

There are still people getting about 23,000 a year in benefits despite all the changes to the system

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2276418/Lazy-Britain-uncovered-How-FOUR-MILLION-adults-worked-lives.html

The system is still flawed and has many loopholes that let people survive on benefits, especially single mothers. A single white man will definitely have a harder time claiming.
that's nonsense anyway

There are still people getting about 23,000 a year in benefits despite all the changes to the system

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2276418/Lazy-Britain-uncovered-How-FOUR-MILLION-adults-worked-lives.html

The system is still flawed and has many loopholes that let people survive on benefits, especially single mothers. A single white man will definitely have a harder time claiming.

I just clicked on the article which is 5 years old and it shows that 3 million of those 4 million never been employed people are under 25.
that's nonsense anyway

You can't claim Job Seekers Allowance once you work over 16 hours a week (at least that was the case several years ago, might have changed slightly since).

If you continue claiming and you're working 16 hours or more, it's fraud and you open yourself up to having a criminal record (I'm sure that's not what you want).

I have no clue about other benefits. There are benefits such as in-work, housing, childcare. But we're not talking about those. We are specifically talking about Job Seekers Allowance.
Reply 52
Original post by num.7

okay, let's suppose I do nothing all day but actually don't claim benefits

What would you say then ?

What am I ?
Reply 53
Original post by paul514
I just clicked on the article which is 5 years old and it shows that 3 million of those 4 million never been employed people are under 25.

maybe I don't even claim benefits

maybe I just am a bum doing nothing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending