The Student Room Group

Can your hair be political?

So, I've just read a Cambridge and Harvard graduates ideas on the 'Politics of Black Hair'. The scholarly article mainly talked about Michelle Obama and the introduction of her natural hair to society which only occurred after she was out of the public eye.

Do you think your hair could be a political statement?

I do.

In fact, I think the nature of hair (black, white and asian) can be very political.
What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Making political statements out of biological traits is dangerous, I think. This kind of thinking promotes false pride/racism.
(edited 6 years ago)
The world goes crazy when a white person gets cornrows or an afro.

Seriously, there are more important things to concern yourself with than the hair on someone's head.
Let's all be outraged together:

horse-hair.png
White people with dreadlocks is a political statement
Laughed out loud at thread title.
Original post by AvrgLondoner
So, I've just read a Cambridge and Harvard graduates ideas on the 'Politics of Black Hair'. The scholarly article mainly talked about Michelle Obama and the introduction of her natural hair to society which only occurred after she was out of the public eye.

Do you think your hair could be a political statement?

I do.

In fact, I think the nature of hair (black, white and asian) can be very political.
What do you think?

The question you should be asking yourself is why should it be a political statement?

Believe it or not most people are not political, they will get a hairstyle because they think it looks cool on them, not to make a statement. In fact people who think that having a certain hairstyle is a political statement have something wrong with them mentally.
ROFL
Apparently braiding of hair is at least 30,000 years old:

venus braiding.png
Reply 9
Original post by Axiomasher
Let's all be outraged together:

horse-hair.png

I do not support this hairstyle. It’s a ‘neigh’ from me.
It's a bit weird when white people get cornrows and are disapproved of but, black people straighten their hair and nothing happens.
Do people in this world actually think someone would do their hair purposefully to represent a political statement?
(edited 6 years ago)
You can often get an idea of someone's politics from their hair.

I can think of lots of examples.
The big issue isn’t really with white people. THEY have socially acceptable hair anyway. It is when people with 4c hair wear it natural and especially when they’re have positions of authority e.g when Viola Davis won an award and showed up with her natural hair (also Lupita) and etc.
Reply 13
I could probably manage to get mine into either a swastika or a hammer and sickle.
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
It's a bit weird when white people get cornrows and are disapproved of but, black people straighten their hair and nothing happens.
Do people in this world actually think someone would do their hair purposefully to represent a political statement?

Inb4 “straight hair isn’t a white people thing” “black people can have naturally straight hair too”
Wait, since when does the Average Londoners say even matter to society?
Mate,
some people prefer curly hair, some wavy, some straight and some no hair.
On average, people with a black background/ethnicity tend to have very curly hair.
Just because people who dislike curly hair, voice their opinion, doesn't make anyone's hair political.
So I can see how the two get mixed up, but no.
The big issue isn’t really with white people. THEY have socially acceptable hair anyway. It is when people with 4c hair wear it natural and especially when they’re have positions of authority e.g when Viola Davis won an award and showed up with her natural hair (also Lupita) and etc.

Not cool when they photoshopped out Lupita’s natural hair in that cover-shoot. People should be focusing on natural hair and changing that is censored and hidden rather than white people with dreads, which just makes it about white people.

Surely making black girls and guys feel more comfortable with the hair they’re born with and not have so much pressure to change it so it’s ‘socially acceptable’ is more important.

You've got me thinking about how hair can be environmentally political - the use of all kinds of chemicals has an environmental cost and so isn't very green, even green hair probably isn't green.
It is like you kids are having this whole other conversation to the one I and everyone I know are having.

You lot are talking about hair being political.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending