The Student Room Group

Britain is the best country in the world?

First of all, I’m not British. I met a British person recently, who told me that Britain is the best. He said Britain invented the cars, aeroplanes, ships and all. ( is this true?) He also said Britain has the Queen, colonised a lot of countries and contributed a lot to the world.

I was flabbergasted lol. Why would one be proud of colonisation though. It’s horrible. I have never encountered anyone with so much patriotism or rather arrogance haha. I asked what did he think about Brexit, he gave me cynical smile and said everything will still be the same and Germany would not take the lead. I then replied if he had thought about the financial sectors such as there won’t be any passport rights for the UK banks anymore plus it’s the most important sector in the UK. He said well Britain will go back to manufacturing and doing other good things it did before.

To be honest, I don’t even know why I had that conversation with him. It’s very obvious he has not exposed to many other advancements in other countries lol. Probably, he doesn’t even have the money to fly out of the UK lol

Have anyone of you met anyone like this before? What a joke honestly hahaha

Scroll to see replies

where did you meet him exactly. I've never met someone so apparently willing to answer so many personal questions from a complete stranger...
Reply 2
At the gym. Lol
Original post by Tuimal
First of all, I’m not British. I met a British person recently, who told me that Britain is the best. He said Britain invented the cars, aeroplanes, ships and all. ( is this true?) He also said Britain has the Queen, colonised a lot of countries and contributed a lot to the world.

I was flabbergasted lol. Why would one be proud of colonisation though. It’s horrible. I have never encountered anyone with so much patriotism or rather arrogance haha. I asked what did he think about Brexit, he gave me cynical smile and said everything will still be the same and Germany would not take the lead. I then replied if he had thought about the financial sectors such as there won’t be any passport rights for the UK banks anymore plus it’s the most important sector in the UK. He said well Britain will go back to manufacturing and doing other good things it did before.

To be honest, I don’t even know why I had that conversation with him. It’s very obvious he has not exposed to many other advancements in other countries lol. Probably, he doesn’t even have the money to fly out of the UK lol

Your supposed encounter sounds totally fictitious and a convenient contrived opportunity for you to slate the UK.What an unpleasant person and I'm not talking about the imaginary British one.
an old man at the gym? I wanna be like him.

Original post by Tuimal
At the gym. Lol

k. wouldve been more credible if you said at the pub. anyway night.
Interesting. You and OP must go to the same gym.
Reply 6
Lol come on why would I make up such an interesting story. Anyway believe or not. It’s quite entertaining anyway the way I see it haha
Original post by Tuimal
Lol come on why would I make up such an interesting story. Anyway believe or not. It’s quite entertaining anyway the way I see it haha

Haha. u funny.
Reply 8
Original post by Tuimal
Lol come on why would I make up such an interesting story.

I'm not sure you know what that word means.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
I'm not sure you know what that word means.

Well, I wonder why people don’t believe this happened. Probably it is so shocking that people refuse to believe it. People refuse to believe there are people like this in the society. That’s why they are probably marginalised by the society. You have to acknowledge that there are all kinds of people in the society, regardless how advanced or developed a country is.

Also, shall I say it’s a story that shows how unknowledgeable one person can be?
Original post by Tuimal
Well, I wonder why people don’t believe this happened. Probably it is so shocking that people refuse to believe it. People refuse to believe there are people like this in the society. That’s why they are probably marginalised by the society. You have to acknowledge that there are all kinds of people in the society, regardless how advanced or developed a country is.

Also, shall I say it’s a story that shows how unknowledgeable one person can be?

I didn't say I don't believe it happened, I simply said it wasn't interesting.
Original post by Tuimal
First of all, I’m not British. I met a British person recently, who told me that Britain is the best. He said Britain invented the cars (generally credited to German engineer Karl Benz), aeroplanes (generally credited to the American Wright brothers), ships (likely Ancient Egyptians) and all. ( is this true?) He also said Britain has the Queen (Not sure why this makes us the best country in the world), colonised a lot of countries (arguably not a good thing) and contributed a lot to the world (I suppose so, but probably not more than every other country).

Yeah, it is a bit of a joke. Britain does quite well as a country but wouldn't go as far to say its the best in the world. Not all Brits are like this, don't worry
As somebody who lives in Britain, but hates calling themselves British, I'm afraid I have to dispute what the bloke at the gym said. Britain's okay, I suppose. In the grand scheme of things, generally pretty good, but there so much wiggle room and room for improvement, as per with most places.
I'll file this encounter under "things that never happened"

I'd say Britain is certainly up there, there aren't many places I'd choose to live in over Britain to be honest
Reply 14
To be fair, I think there’s nothing wrong for him to pride his own country this way, but the way he justifies it is just so shocking.

Yes I agree with you. Britain is doing quite well as compared to many other countries. 0895E04D-845A-4936-AF71-BF9F17522785.jpg.jpeg at least for London it is not the most expensive city to live in and it has almost everything.
Reply 15
Original post by AHappyStudent
Yeah, it is a bit of a joke. Britain does quite well as a country but wouldn't go as far to say its the best in the world. Not all Brits are like this, don't worry

Thank you for this info! Good to know!
Reply 16
Original post by TrelaiBoy
I'll file this encounter under "things that never happened"

I'd say Britain is certainly up there, there aren't many places I'd choose to live in over Britain to be honest

I am afraid it actually did happen.

Can’t dispute the fact that Britain is def up there.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/01/23/us-news-world-report-the-top-10-best-countries-in-the-world.html
Reply 17
Original post by Tuimal
First of all, I’m not British. I met a British person recently, who told me that Britain is the best.

What a joke honestly hahaha

For starters, choosing a best country is impossible. There are too many metrics and there'll never be a decisive agreement as to which are most important. Some countries will have better education but recycle less, others will have a bigger military but not export much. So claiming any country is "the best in the world" is a bit of a foolish thing to do.

With that being said, a lot of what he says isn't entirely wrong. We didn't invent cars, aeroplanes or ships. Germans did cars (which Americans then popularised... then ruined), Americans did planes, and god knows who did ships. We have however done a lot over the years though to further technology, engineering in particular. I'd be relatively comfortable better there are more British inventions you use in your day to day life than from any other single nation. America might just eek out a lead depending on your lifestyle.

As for colonialism, yes, it wasn't exactly great, but it's not all negatives. There are nations who are better off now than they would have been if they weren't part of the commonwealth. Would have been nice if there wasn't so much war and oppression in the process, but in those days that was sort of the way of the world.
Reply 18
Original post by Dheorl
For starters, choosing a best country is impossible. There are too many metrics and there'll never be a decisive agreement as to which are most important. Some countries will have better education but recycle less, others will have a bigger military but not export much. So claiming any country is "the best in the world" is a bit of a foolish thing to do.

With that being said, a lot of what he says isn't entirely wrong. We didn't invent cars, aeroplanes or ships. Germans did cars (which Americans then popularised... then ruined), Americans did planes, and god knows who did ships. We have however done a lot over the years though to further technology, engineering in particular. I'd be relatively comfortable better there are more British inventions you use in your day to day life than from any other single nation. America might just eek out a lead depending on your lifestyle.

As for colonialism, yes, it wasn't exactly great, but it's not all negatives. There are nations who are better off now than they would have been if they weren't part of the commonwealth. Would have been nice if there wasn't so much war and oppression in the process, but in those days that was sort of the way of the world.

Cannot agree with you more. Hope everyone is as sensible as you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Dheorl

Arguably, not a single country in Africa has had any positives from colonisation. Look at the numerous genocides created by the British after carving up Africa into countries irrespective of ethnic groups, massacres of Africans and Indians by the British, dictatorships emerging after the British left and sucked that continent dry. No one should be proud of the British Empire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending