The Student Room Group

Anatomy lesson for feminists

If you're not willing to accept the outside chance of pregnancy, then don't have sex.

Scroll to see replies

Abortion is murder.
Reply 2
A bit late, referendum is done.
yeah, that's a child. However, a bunch of cells is not a person. That's why there is a cut off for when you can get an abortion. You can't abort that far along legally.
Original post by AliceAnnn
yeah, that's a child. However, a bunch of cells is not a person. That's why there is a cut off for when you can get an abortion. You can't abort that far along legally.

At 8 weeks the child most definitely is a person, you can clearly see a head, arms and feet. It's state sanctioned killing.
Reply 5
Original post by bars from mars

If you're not willing to accept the outside chance of pregnancy, then don't have sex.

Okay so avoid pregnancy by not having sex. then what about rape cases?
(edited 5 years ago)

But that "cut off" is pretty arbitrary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgw4X7Dw_3k
Original post by allie.moe

In that case for the sake of protecting the mental wellbeing of the mother I would say it has to be allowed, but for people in a relationship no decent person could consider it to be a legitimate form of emergency contraception.
At 8 weeks the child most definitely is a person, you can clearly see a head, arms and feet. It's state sanctioned killing.

An 8 week fetus is tiny and barely a person, in my opinion. I believe that a person is conscious. I believe a baby can only really be a person when its at around 25 weeks, when it can survive outside of the womb. I don't think that being able to see it's head counts as being a person it just doesn't make sense to me to name something a person because it looks kind of like a human. For me, abortions are saddening as yes, you are preventing a potential life, but i think it's best for the safety and health of girls and women, that they should have the option of choosing whether they want to bring a life into the world that they could potentially not provide for or protect.
While the embryo is a separate body, it is still growing inside the mother. She should have the choice whether she wants to carry it in her.
Saying "if you don't want to get pregnant then don't have sex" is just stupid. That's like saying "if you don't want your house broken into then don't have a house". Besides, some people do want to keep the baby, but they may have a bad financial situation and can't afford a child, in which case the mother's, the father's (if there is one), and the baby's lives will be at risk due to poverty, if the baby is born. There are also cases of discovering that the baby will have a severe mental or physical disability and won't have a normal life, it will probably be in pain all the time and die very early. In this case parents may choose to abort it to save the child suffering, and them from having to see their child be in constant pain and die prematurely after they're born. Its much easier to deal with the death of the baby when its still in-utero rather than when its already a few months/years old.

So please, stop being selfish and grow up. Abortions are not as simple as "I just don't want a baby".

NB: Notice how I said "embryo", not fetus, because in the majority of cases once the baby reaches the fetus stage, abortion is no longer an option. So that picture is 100% utter bullshiet

The womb is part of the woman's body, the uterus is part of the woman's body. Why is she not able to exercise self determination over these parts of her body?
Original post by mojojojo101
The womb is part of the woman's body, the uterus is part of the woman's body. Why is she not able to exercise self determination over these parts of her body?

The uterus and the womb are the same thing, but good point anyway :3
In that case for the sake of protecting the mental wellbeing of the mother I would say it has to be allowed, but for people in a relationship no decent person could consider it to be a legitimate form of emergency contraception.

so your saying that a child of rape is worth less than any other child conceived consensually? but they could both potentially be "precious human beings".
Reply 14

Rape cases are different, but they are a tiny minority of cases and can't be used as an umbrella to justify it in all cases. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're raped you can go to hospital and stop you getting pregnant (not sure on how they do it)
Original post by Sheisun1998
While the embryo is a separate body, it is still growing inside the mother. She should have the choice whether she wants to carry it in her.

That's like saying a man should have the choice as to whether or not he pays for a child he's helped to create.

Saying "if you don't want to get pregnant then don't have sex" is just stupid. That's like saying "if you don't want your house broken into then don't have a house".

You choose to have sex, you don't choose to be robbed.

Besides, some people do want to keep the baby, but they may have a bad financial situation and can't afford a child, in which case the mother's, the father's (if there is one), and the baby's lives will be at risk due to poverty, if the baby is born.

Then don't have sex.

There are also cases of discovering that the baby will have a severe mental or physical disability and won't have a normal life, it will probably be in pain all the time and die very early. In this case parents may choose to abort it to save the child suffering, and them from having to see their child be in constant pain and die prematurely after they're born. Its much easier to deal with the death of the baby when its still in-utero rather than when its already a few months/years old.

I wouldn't kill a disabled friend or relative and the fact they are unborn makes no difference.

So please, stop being selfish and grow up. Abortions are not as simple as "I just don't want a baby".

They clearly are.

NB: Notice how I said "embryo", not fetus, because in the majority of cases once the baby reaches the fetus stage, abortion is no longer an option. So that picture is 100% utter bullshiet

At 9 weeks these babies can be clearly seen moving their little hands and feet.
Original post by Jono*
Rape cases are different, but they are a tiny minority of cases and can't be used as an umbrella to justify it in all cases. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're raped you can go to hospital and stop you getting pregnant (not sure on how they do it)

refer to my second point because thats not what Im getting at
Original post by mojojojo101

>thinks pro-lifers are unscientific

>doesn't realise that the fetus and the womb are different entities
Reply 18
Original post by Jono*

Other than that the only time I believe it could be potentially justified is if there is a serious risk that the mother could die, but they should still try and save them both unless that's not possible.
(edited 5 years ago)
so your saying that a child of rape is worth less than any other child conceived consensually? but they could both potentially be "precious human beings".

Yes you're right it's not an ideal situation at all, but for the sake of protecting women who are raped it should be allowed in that case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending