The Student Room Group

Why some women are not much interested with politics?

Yes ofc it is over-generalizing to say all women. But I am well aware quite some women can travel, work or study at the other countries without knowing the actual political environment of their targets.

For example, some of my friends prefer to live/work at China simply because they have friends and they love the food at there, regardless of the fact that China has not signed Human Rights Charter, thousands of human rights lawyer was killed, and reporters were assaulted because of defending media freedom. Some of my friends even prefer to travel to Tanzania or middle east, simply because the environment is rural and challenging enough.

Yet people from these places are trying their best to fleet/immigrate to countries with at least democracy or human rights, I cannot quite comprehend how this type of pleasures can outweigh the cost of their safety.
(edited 5 years ago)
I think it's a people thing not a women thing. The amount of men I've met who loudly and proudly proclaim that they have never voted in their lives and don't intend to is somewhat shocking to me.

It's people taking the path of least resistance
Original post by notveryoriginal
I think it's a people thing not a women thing. The amount of men I've met who loudly and proudly proclaim that they have never voted in their lives and don't intend to is somewhat shocking to me.

Absolutely hate it when people don’t vote, people fought and died for our right to vote
Reply 3
not everyone can immigrate to just anywhere. countries have different qualifications and usually do not want poor people and people with no qualifications. plus not everyone has the money to relocate.

are your friends from China, and maybe that's why they don't want to leave? maybe your friends travelling to Tanzania want an adventure but don't want to live there?

p.s. most people don't care about human rights or law in general until it hurts them directly, have you not noticed? otherwise the vast majority of us take it for granted.
Reply 4
Original post by Joleee
not everyone can immigrate to just anywhere. countries have different qualifications and usually do not want poor people and people with no qualifications. plus not everyone has the money to relocate.

are your friends from China, and maybe that's why they don't want to leave? maybe your friends travelling to Tanzania want an adventure but don't want to live there?

p.s. most people don't care about human rights or law in general until it hurts them directly, have you not noticed? otherwise the vast majority of us take it for granted.

Hmmm I wouldnt say I "travel" to a place when it is my home town. 😄
But yea perhaps you are right about the rest of the things.
But still it seems the cost is too high for a adventure if it would possibly take your life.
Reply 5
Original post by notveryoriginal

How about travel/working/study in general?
Will your female friends consider political environment first or things they are attracted to first? 😆😆
Plenty of people arent interested in domestic politics. You seem to be talking about current affairs. If it doesnt interest them or has very little effcet on their day to day life, then i can understand why. Just because it interests you doesnt give you some sort of moral superiority. Plenty of men dont care either.
It's not just women, a lot of people all across the gender spectrum aren't interested in politics, history or law.
It doesn't occur to them that overseas laws/cultural environment might be incompatible with their lifestyle or pose a threat to their safety.
Just as thousands of people in this country don't ever want to vote or even learn who the leaders of the main political parties are.

Take the number of gap year students who are desperate to visit the Australian Outback, Bali, Zimbabwe, Thailand or the Philippines.
How many are aware of the danger from dingos, or that indonesia has life imprisonment for drug possession and the death penalty for supplying drugs.
Homosexuality is illegal in Zimbabwe, adultery attracts a long prison sentence in the Philippines where divorce is illegal.
Thailand's laws don't tolerate criticism of monarchy and body tatoos of the Buddha can trigger a police investigation.
Reply 8
I was actually born in China, I hate to admit this because I am not proud of it... haha
I was raised in several places afterwords, but my ability of knowing traditional and simplified Chinese has drawn my attention of what is happening in China.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Fool you what? Most of my relatives are still living in China and Hong Kong, and I personally had worked for a while at China as well.
Everything I am saying about China is true, please go through all the sources below. And it was one of my research topic during my undergraduate and postgraduate study as well.

Sources:
https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-net/2017/china
https://rsf.org/en/china
Clayton, R., Murdoch, S. J., & Watson, R. N. (2006, June). Ignoring the great firewall of china. In International Workshop on Privacy Enhancing Technologies (pp. 20-35). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
MacKinnon, R. (2011). China's" networked authoritarianism". Journal of Democracy, 22(2), 32-46.
Burns, J. P. (1987). Immigration from China and the future of Hong Kong. Asian Survey, 27(6), 661-682.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waves_of_mass_migrations_from_Hong_Kong
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-43198404
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jun/29/the-great-firewall-of-china-xi-jinpings-internet-shutdown
(edited 5 years ago)
personally, I find it incredibly boring and simply uninterested. I’d rather talk about chicken nuggets
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by KeirCKF
Yes ofc it is over-generalizing to say all women. But I am well aware quite some women can travel, work or study at the other countries without knowing the actual political environment of their targets.

For example, some of my friends prefer to live/work at China simply because they have friends and they love the food at there, regardless of the fact that China has not signed Human Rights Charter, thousands of human rights lawyer was killed, and reporters were assaulted because of defending media freedom. Some of my friends even prefer to travel to Tanzania or middle east, simply because the environment is rural and challenging enough.

Yet people from these places are trying their best to fleet/immigrate to countries with at least democracy or human rights, I cannot quite comprehend how this type of pleasures can outweigh the cost of their safety.

Two things.

The countries you name have very good human rights records, as long as you are conformant which if you are only going about your daily business is not a problem.

As for women's interest in politics. I think a lot of women are interested in politics. But the type of politics delivered by our politicians is ya-boo, school playground style debates and is a turn off to most.
Reply 12
Original post by ByEeek
Two things.

The countries you name have very good human rights records, as long as you are conformant which if you are only going about your daily business is not a problem.

As for women's interest in politics. I think a lot of women are interested in politics. But the type of politics delivered by our politicians is ya-boo, school playground style debates and is a turn off to most.

But the majority of western news media and social media are banned in China.
Google has closed down in China.
Local news media is controlled by government.
Does it affect your daily business? 🤣🤣🤣
It feels like you're describing sheltered gap year kids rather than just women.
Original post by Allegiant Tiger
Absolutely hate it when people don’t vote, people fought and died for our right to vote

Can't blame them.

Useless when we have safe seats, millions of wasted votes, and a 2 party system.
Original post by KeirCKF
But the majority of western news media and social media are banned in China.
Google has closed down in China.
Local news media is controlled by government.
Does it affect your daily business? 🤣🤣🤣

No. Unless you are interested in international news. But for the purposes of going to work, shopping, having kids etc etc, it doesn't make the jot of difference. Like I say - China is a very safe place to life and visit. It is only when you try and apply your western values of freedom that things start going wrong. But to be fair, when it comes to human rights, moral values and ethics, I don't think we as a nation can judge others. Our history, recent and old is hardly squeaky clean.
Reply 16
Original post by ByEeek
No. Unless you are interested in international news. But for the purposes of going to work, shopping, having kids etc etc, it doesn't make the jot of difference. Like I say - China is a very safe place to life and visit. It is only when you try and apply your western values of freedom that things start going wrong. But to be fair, when it comes to human rights, moral values and ethics, I don't think we as a nation can judge others. Our history, recent and old is hardly squeaky clean.

Well.
I was born in China.

In fact, families who are rich enough that can afford to send their child abroad would usually do it asap, because we have experienced and witnessed how horrible a country we are living in. A country that rich families can bribe the local government to make change of social policy, if you know someone who has strong political power you can get away from crime. If you say anything on internet or in public that the someone in government doesn't like it, they can imprison you with no question asked. Most interestingly, public servant in China government often prefer to send their child off China when they are young. China has too many people and too many small cities, village and provinces, government don't really care if a small governor is corrupted or someone die.

So why don't people outside China know it? Because the media is monitored by government, so nothing has leaked to the outside except Hong Kong. Then how do I know it? Well I have come to UK when I was young, so you know my background.

May be you are right, it does not affect the daily business. But if one can rape someone they find attractive and get away from it, I am not sure if it is a safe place to stay with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending