The Student Room Group

Luxury Watch Maker Produces Video Response to Gillette

Beautiful video response to Gillette's advert by Egard Watches, a luxury watch maker, celebrating men and their sacrifices:

[video="youtube;x_HL0wiK4Zc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_HL0wiK4Zc[/video]
The CEO of Egard Watches financed this ad himself. These are apparently some of his comments about this video and why he made it:

"my name is Ilan, CEO of Egard. The only reason I attached my company to this (i made this video alone) was because I wanted it to respond in the strongest way possible and the thing that matters to me is the company I built for my father."

"I was told it would ruin my brand... I spent my own money on it not my brands. I had a four hour fight with family and friends about how bad an idea this was but I put my brand behind it because I refuse to feel censored and believe in the message. That's it."
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just gonna throw this bit of information out there...

I was doing some research for an assignment at uni. I came across one of the stats mentioned in this video, the one about men not having visitation rights. I found that, here in the UK, half of fathers loose all conatct with their children, I think it was like, 3 years after a divorce. Looking into this stat a little deeper, I found a study conducted by the government, showing coincidently, that half of mothers admitted that they denied fathers their visitation rights to their children. There is little or no repercussion for this in this country. I didn't think about it much at the time but this video kind of made me think about something that i have never considered before. Despite a large proportion of men being denied their visitation rights to their children they still carry on working, in some cases, to poverty to fund those children that they are not allowed to see.

That's just heart breaking.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Despite funds being a little short atm...I did just that. I have two watches now, one on route through delivery and another that I've put up on ebay...I'm replacing my Apple watch with an Egard. We need to empower people and companies that do the right thing. At the same time, even though I'm really not that much into boycott's, I feel sometimes they are justified against companies that do the wrong thing, not to put pressure on them but rather to avoid funding them and empowering them to do evil. Hence, my boycott of all P&G products from here on out.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pinkisk
Despite funds being a little tight atm...I did just that. I have two watches now, one on route through delivery and another that I've put up on ebay...I'm replacing my Apple watch with an Egard. We need to empower people and companies that do the right thing. At the same time, even though I'm really not that much into boycott's, I feel sometimes they are justified against companies that do the wrong thing, not to put pressure on them but rather to avoid funding them and empowering them to do evil. Hence, my boycott of all P&G products from here on out.

I have no clue, but from a critical point of view, is this ad meant to do just this? To entice customers? I mean its a good tactic ngl, but couldn't it?
The ad's good, but the ad should not be about what their selling but the CEO's viewpoint, thus buying a watch in agreement is unecessary?

If anything, giving money to charities that deal with the problems that men face would be the better way to 'thank'?
(edited 5 years ago)
The Gillette ad was nonosense. But this video was beautiful.:emo:
Reply 5
Original post by Kangaroo17
I have no clue, but from a critical point of view, is this ad meant to do just this? To entice customers? I mean its a good tactic ngl, but couldn't it?
The ad's good, but the ad should not be about what their selling but the CEO's viewpoint, thus buying a watch in agreement is unecessary?

If anything, giving money to charities that deal with the problems that men face would be the better way to 'thank'?

I agree Kangaroo and I did think about this a lot before going ahead with it. Firstly, because its money that unfortunately I do not have atm, secondly because its gender politics, something that I do not espouse and thirdly because of the issue that you pointed out in your comment. I mean, is it ethical to buy something in agreement over a political matter from a for profit company?

So yeah to address my first issue I decided to sell my current watch to fund my purchase from Egard. In regard to the second concern, I felt Egard/men have no other choice but to engage in gender politics when dealing with feminists as they accuse men of things which requires men to defend themselves and that can only be done, I feel, by ya engaging in gender politics. In regard to the third concern I thought through this purchase I was enabling a company that stood up to something I felt was wrong at a huge risk to themselves and their brand. I feel, through this purchase, corny as it sounds, that I am empowering good against evil in the corporate world... *shrug*

EDIT: in regard to making a donation to a charity that supports men...do you have any suggestions? I mean, I don't mind doing this but I don't know of any and I have a small problem with making donations to charities. I recently learned that the good majority of charities here in the UK spend most of their donations on running the charity itself. So very little of the money goes to those the charity supports. Some charities pay their directors extortionate amounts of money...like hundreds of thousands of pounds a year. So I have sort of become reluctant in giving any money to charities.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
This is what Gillette should have done. Give an aspirational message to do the right thing even if it costs, rather than blame. Yes the statistics are cherry picked (e.g. that most murderers are men), but at least they are verifiable statistics rather than the general assertion that men intrinsically suck unless corrected by another man, and all men in the vicinity (and wider) are to blame.

I hope his company doesn't suffer because of this, they do sell to women but the advert doesn't criticise women at all so there's no real justification for a boycott. And it's good to take a stand against misandry. That that's a possibility and his friends and family were cautioning against this ad for theat very reason says a lot about the culture of fear and intimidation that some feminists try to create. Interesting too that Terry Crews is an endorser (or at least a willingly photographed customer) of Egard, he might need to make a statement sometime soon since he was used by Gillette.
1 - Company produces add which people who constantly accuse everyone of being 'snowflakes' take as an insult and whip themselves up into a feverish rage about.

2 - Separate company makes advert to deliberately massage the ego of the butthurt group who laud them as heroes and spend thousands of pounds/dollars buying **** they don't need because... well... I don't really know. .

3 - All the problems men have, which this butthurt group is no insistent they care about goes completely ignored, again. Not only has nothing been achieved but the butthurt group who care so deeply about men's problems have continued to poison the well and make meaningful discussion about how societal expectations of men can prove to be damaging to them and the people they are close to.
I think the Gillette ad was in very poor taste. The vast majority of men on this planet are not violent, nor are they aggressive, nor are they sex offenders (and indeed some women are all three). The ad stereotypes men in their entirety, and creates an extremely poor image of them based on the actions of a few. If we want to discourage these behaviours, we can discourage them directly rather than associating them with a particular gender.

Imagine if it had been an ad that encourages black people to be "the best they can get", by discouraging each other from stealing.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pinkisk
Just gonna throw this bit of information out there...

I was doing some research for an assignment at uni. I came across one of the stats mentioned in this video, the one about men not having visitation rights. I found that, here in the UK, half of fathers loose all conatct with their children, I think it was like, 3 years after a divorce. Looking into this stat a little deeper, I found a study conducted by the government, showing coincidently, that half of mothers admitted that they denied fathers their visitation rights to their children. There is little or no repercussion for this in this country. I didn't think about it much at the time but this video kind of made me think about something that i have never considered before. Despite a large proportion of men being denied their visitation rights to their children they still carry on working, in some cases, to poverty to fund those children that they are not allowed to see.

That's just heart breaking.

My best mate split with his ex last year and his mum is denying him the right to see his kids. They went to court over it, the judge said legally she can't do that and gave him legal permission to see his children... but the judge said it was not his place to lay out visitation arrangements and that it's something they would have to arrange between themselves. So they're back to square one, my mate's still not seeing his kids and there's f*** all anyone will do about it. The current judicial system surrounding this kind of issue is f***ed.
Reply 10
Original post by ThomH97
I hope his company doesn't suffer because of this,

I was afraid of this too. They are going up against a very powerful, highly insititionalised and toxic minority of people who are very vindictive. If you say something that they don't agree with they will do their utomost to destroy you. Thankfully Thom, it seems like this company has not suffered but the opposite. This is the message on their website:

"The positive response to our message has allowed us to start donating to charities! We will be donating $10,000 USD To the Bob Woodruff Foundation this week! We hope to continue making numerous donations year round. Thank you all for giving us an opportunity to give back.
Due to the unexpected overwhelming response we are back-ordered on many units. Please bear with us. We are accepting pre-orders as we are making new inventory. The response is beyond appreciated. Every order will be fulfilled. We want to be completely transparent about the wait."

They're sold out on nearly all their watches and bracelets now. They are back-ordered on all their products. The ladies watch that I bought yesterday is no longer available. Neither are most of the ladies watches that they had on their website when I bought mine. So it isn't just men that are buying.

I'm willing to bet that Gillette is now suffering the consequences of its toxic actions. The majoirty of people don't agree with feminism and its very toxic perspective of life. A very sexist, hypocritical perspective that drives people to hate and anger and division. Gillette's found that out the hard way. There's a huge market out there for companies that stand up for men and to feminism. The good majority of companies just don't see it. This company, Egard, did and it turned out wonderful for them and I am very happy about this. I'm going to flaunt their watch when I recieve it. Its ya gonna make me smile everytime I check the time.

Their moto is "Égard produces exceptional timepieces that do more than simply tell time they capture moments" and ya it seems they live up to that moto. I wish them all the best.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
My best mate split with his ex last year and his mum is denying him the right to see his kids. They went to court over it, the judge said legally she can't do that and gave him legal permission to see his children... but the judge said it was not his place to lay out visitation arrangements and that it's something they would have to arrange between themselves. So they're back to square one, my mate's still not seeing his kids and there's f*** all anyone will do about it. The current judicial system surrounding this kind of issue is f***ed.

If he breaks family law, like by not paying child support, he will be arrested and forced to do so. If she breaks family law, by for example not allowing the father to see his children as per the judges orders, nothing happens to her. The judicial system just tells the man sorry we can't help you. The judicial system is in this country very wrong. No, its very sexist. I know a couple guys who are suffering this same problem with their ex's. Its a sad situation that needs to change.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pinkisk
I was afraid of this too. They are going up against a very powerful, highly insititionalised and toxic minority of people who are very vindictive. If you say something that they don't agree with they will do their utomost to destroy you. Thankfully Thom, it seems like this company has not suffered but the opposite. This is the message on their website:

"The positive response to our message has allowed us to start donating to charities! We will be donating $10,000 USD To the Bob Woodruff Foundation this week! We hope to continue making numerous donations year round. Thank you all for giving us an opportunity to give back.
Due to the unexpected overwhelming response we are back-ordered on many units. Please bear with us. We are accepting pre-orders as we are making new inventory. The response is beyond appreciated. Every order will be fulfilled. We want to be completely transparent about the wait."

They're sold out on nearly all their watches and bracelets now. They are back-ordered on all their products. The ladies watch that I bought yesterday is no longer available. Neither are most of the ladies watches that they had on their website when I bought mine. So it isn't just men that are buying.

I'm willing to bet that Gillette is now suffering the consequences of its toxic actions. The majoirty of people don't agree with feminism and its very toxic perspective of life. A very sexist, hypocritical perspective that drives people to hate and anger and division. Gillette's found that out the hard way. There's a huge market out there for companies that stand up for men and to feminism. The good majority of companies just don't see it. This company, Egard, did and it turned out wonderful for them and I am very happy about this. I'm going to flaunt their watch when I recieve it. Its ya gonna make me smile everytime I check the time.

Their moto is "Égard produces exceptional timepieces that do more than simply tell time they capture moments" and ya it seems they live up to that moto. I wish them all the best.

If he breaks family law, like by not paying child support, he will be arrested and forced to do so. If she breaks family law, by for example not allowing the father to see his children as per the judges orders, nothing happens to her. The judicial system just tells the man sorry we can't help you. The judicial system is in this country very wrong. No, its very sexist. I know a couple guys who are suffering this same problem with their ex's. Its a sad situation that needs to change.

I bet the owner, who claims his family were telling him this campaign is a bad idea and could destroy his company, is feeling pretty smug right now :h:
I don't really see how this advert contradicts the Gillette one. Both can be right. If anything, they complement each other. Ilan should've hired a voice over artist, though. And a writer. There are valid points in there somewhere but it doesn't get them across very well.
Original post by Captain Haddock
I don't really see how this advert contradicts the Gillette one.

You don't see that the Gillette advert claims that men in general are shitbags and that (specifically) only some aren't, while this one demonstrates that most aren't, then? If men in general are as bad as Gillette paints them how do they fulfil the roles that this advert demonstrates they undertake?
Original post by Good bloke
You don't see that the Gillette advert claims that men in general are shitbags and that (specifically) only some aren't, while this one demonstrates that most aren't, then? If men in general are as bad as Gillette paints them how do they fulfil the roles that this advert demonstrates they undertake?

Can you really imagine me wasting my afternoon off having this discussion with you when I've already read everything you could possibly have to say on this topic in the other thread? Sorry pal but I'm not that ****ing bored.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Can you really imagine me wasting my afternoon off having this discussion with you when I've already read everything you could possibly have to say on this topic in the other thread? Sorry pal but I'm not that ****ing bored.

That dealt with that question and destroyed my argument utterly.
Original post by Good bloke
That dealt with that question and destroyed my argument utterly.

Literally the entire point of my post was that I don't want to deal with your question, dude. This topic is clearly nowhere near as engaging for me as it seemingly is for you. My overall opinion on these adverts is that I don't really give a ****. And before you get all 'oh but you cared enough to post in this thread', just... Don't. Not interested. Cheers.
Original post by tazarooni89
I think the Gillette ad was in very poor taste. The vast majority of men on this planet are not violent, nor are they aggressive, nor are they sex offenders (and indeed some women are all three). The ad stereotypes men in their entirety, and creates an extremely poor image of them based on the actions of a few. If we want to discourage these behaviours, we can discourage them directly rather than associating them with a particular gender.

Imagine if it had been an ad that encourages black people to be "the best they can get", by discouraging each other from stealing.

I just think that Gillette and the watchmakers have run brilliant marketing campaigns they got the public talking about there products. Never company care about men being demonized or not they just use there marking campaigns to sell to their main customers men.
Original post by looloo2134
I just think that Gillette and the watchmakers have run brilliant marketing campaigns they got the public talking about there products. Never company care about men being demonized or not they just use there marking campaigns to sell to their main customers men.

That’s also true. All publicity is good publicity, as they say.
Original post by tazarooni89
That’s also true. All publicity is good publicity, as they say.

That is the cliche. Unfortunately, Gerald Ratner did not find it to be true and essentially destroyed his business. His company's market capitalisation plunged by £500 million and a year later he had been fired by his own company's chairman, whom he had brought in to rescue him from the mess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending