The Student Room Group

can men be raped?

So, at school the other day we were having a discussion about what sexual consent is and one of the form tutors (teacher) said men can't be raped and that only women can be raped.

What is your opinion on this?
What is consent?

Scroll to see replies

as per the law, a man can only be raped by another man, as rape legally requires the insertion of a penis into the body, which women physiologically don't have.
Yes men can be raped.

Here is a video that explains consent very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZwvrxVavnQ
Reply 3
Yes men can be raped but only by men. It is a bit unfair though as it is possible, less likely but possible, that a woman can pretty much rape a man and only be guilty of sexual assault. I might be a bit wrong but the word rape sounds much worse and it should be available to women as well for the few cases where it is appropriate.
Reply 4
Original post by Paolo3100
So, at school the other day we were having a discussion about what sexual consent is and one of the form tutors (teacher) said men can't be raped and that only women can be raped.

What is consent?

What a stupid question
Technically. Within law men can be 'raped' but this is referred to as "Causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent". It's essentially rape in all but writing.

This is outlined of Section 4 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003:

"(4) A person guilty of an offence under this section, if the activity caused involved—

(a) penetration of B’s anus or vagina,
(b) penetration of B’s mouth with a person’s penis,
(c) penetration of a person’s anus or vagina with a part of B’s body or by B with anything else, or
(d) penetration of a person’s mouth with B’s penis,

is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for life."

Whereas "B" refers to the victim.

Why this isn't simply referred to as rape is beyond me.

The section dedicated explicitly to rape only refers to the rapist as being male.

I too was told that men couldn't be raped at school and it's a load of ****ing **** if you pardon my language.

@Mikolaj1109@Bio 7 - The above might interest you.
Reply 6
Original post by SHallowvale
Technically. Within law men can be 'raped' but this is referred to as "Causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent". It's essentially rape in all but writing.

This is outlined of Section 4 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003:

"(4) A person guilty of an offence under this section, if the activity caused involved—

(a) penetration of B’s anus or vagina,
(b) penetration of B’s mouth with a person’s penis,
(c) penetration of a person’s anus or vagina with a part of B’s body or by B with anything else, or
(d) penetration of a person’s mouth with B’s penis,

is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for life."

Whereas "B" refers to the victim.

Why this isn't simply referred to as rape is beyond me.

That said the rest of the law on this is written in such a way that only men can be guilty of rape. I believe those two passages are the only instance where a woman could rape a man, for example.

I too was told that men couldn't be raped at school and it's a load of ****ing **** if you pardon my language.

@Mikolaj1109@Bio 7 - The above might interest you.

That’s certainly vague enough points to allow women to rape, shame it isn’t enough. It’s too one-sided.
Original post by Bio 7
That’s certainly vague enough points to allow women to rape, shame it isn’t enough. It’s too one-sided.

It's definitely one-sided.

Violence and sexual harassment against men on behalf of women is generally brushed off by much of our society at the moment.

What is consent?

Legally, only men can rape.
Original post by Bio 7
Yes men can be raped but only by men. It is a bit unfair though as it is possible, less likely but possible, that a woman can pretty much rape a man and only be guilty of sexual assault. I might be a bit wrong but the word rape sounds much worse and it should be available to women as well for the few cases where it is appropriate.

Men are raped more than women...
Your teacher is a ****ing moron.
Original post by Mikolaj1109
as per the law, a man can only be raped by another man, as rape legally requires the insertion of a penis into the body, which women physiologically don't have.

Technically a legal woman could have a penis.
I got a question, if it requires penetration or internal insertion then does it count rape if a woman does it with a strap-on to a guy.
Original post by 8=======D
I got a question, if it requires penetration or internal insertion then does it count rape if a woman does it with a strap-on to a guy.

What an appropriate username you have.
Original post by 8=======D

Has to be an actual penis
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
What an appropriate username you have.

thank you
Yes, they can.

Why is this debatable?

What is consent?

Oh, nonononono. Nonononononono. Not this. Not again. Men can be raped. Penetrative sex with a man in which the man does not give substantial consent is rape, just like it would be with a woman.
Well, I for one couldn't be, considering what my standards are.
Reply 18
Yes of course they can, they can be forced and not give consent.
Reply 19

What is consent?

A woman could hold a loaded gun to a mans head and force him to engage in sexual intercourse with her and the UK courts would refuse to see it as rape.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending