The Student Room Group

Culture does not define religion

I don’t get why culture always interferes with religion, it’s different cultures with different religions, like seriously people need to keep their cultural thoughts to themselves. It destroys the beauty of religion and particularly my religion Islam. I’m living in western society and I’m proud of some of the rules however I don’t know why people feel the need to violate religion with culture. Like some rules are just put in place in regards to societies opinions and not what religion says. Tbh some of us are just trying to live our lives, get a good education and contribute to the future.

Scroll to see replies

Moved to Society, where you're more likely to get a reply :smile:
Original post by Post-16-student
I don’t get why culture always interferes with religion, it’s different cultures with different religions, like seriously people need to keep their cultural thoughts to themselves. It destroys the beauty of religion and particularly my religion Islam. I’m living in western society and I’m proud of some of the rules however I don’t know why people feel the need to violate religion with culture. Like some rules are just put in place in regards to societies opinions and not what religion says. Tbh some of us are just trying to live our lives, get a good education and contribute to the future.
Yes, you are right.
Cultural traditions, language and geography does not define a religion- faith, doing good and the associated values of both do.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, you are right.
Cultural traditions, language and geography does not define a religion- faith, doing good and the associated values of both do.

Yes it’s quite sad that people these days don’t understand he difference
Yes it’s quite sad that people these days don’t understand he difference

Terribly sad.
Ignorance of the facts and past events in history only paves the way for two things:
1) misinformation by the ignorant,
and
2) lies (disinformation) by those with an unpleasant agenda that has little regard for the truth.

But don't forget truth has its own unique power, the whisper of truth speaks 1000x louder than bellowed lies.
Share the fact that religion is not defined by cultural traditions and geographic factors.
Share your knowledge and offer people the opportunity to explore the facts about religion and culture.
There are so many ways of doing this: writing articles or books, working for a think tank, setting up a grassroots group/charity, providing quotes and commentary to the media.
Terribly sad.
Ignorance of the facts and past events in history only paves the way for two things:
1) misinformation by the ignorant,
and
2) lies (disinformation) by those with an unpleasant agenda that has little regard for the truth.

But don't forget truth has its own unique power, the whisper of truth speaks 1000x louder than bellowed lies.
Share the fact that religion is not defined by cultural traditions and geographic factors.
Share your knowledge and offer people the opportunity to explore the facts about religion and culture.
There are so many ways of doing this: writing articles or books, working for a think tank, setting up a grassroots group/charity, providing quotes and commentary to the media.

True but more people do need to understand that religion doesn’t define a person, there’s good and bad everywhere
True but more people do need to understand that religion doesn’t define a person, there’s good and bad everywhere

Most people do understand that things like religion, politics, diet and sexual preferences don't define a person.
They are all possible elements that people can add to their identity if they want- personal choices that vary between individuals.
For example- most people have a favourite food or drink, nobody is defined solely by this.
Although I am definitely addicted to very spicy chilli filled foods and chocolate. :biggrin:

In my family tree, there have been a lot of people who get far too into ideological dogmas and let this take over almost every aspect of their life plus relationships with other people.
My mother's family were very religious, believed in all manner of horrible things from centuries ago and said everyone who disagree with them were evil.
My father is into class war revolutionary politics and militant atheism, the shouting type bellowing about how God doesn't exist and religion is an evil cult out to rob the gullible.
Most people do understand that things like religion, politics, diet and sexual preferences don't define a person.
They are all possible elements that people can add to their identity if they want- personal choices that vary between individuals.
For example- most people have a favourite food or drink, nobody is defined solely by this.
Although I am definitely addicted to very spicy chilli filled foods and chocolate. :biggrin:

In my family tree, there have been a lot of people who get far too into ideological dogmas and let this take over almost every aspect of their life plus relationships with other people.
My mother's family were very religious, believed in all manner of horrible things from centuries ago and said everyone who disagree with them were evil.
My father is into class war revolutionary politics and militant atheism, the shouting type bellowing about how God doesn't exist and religion is an evil cult out to rob the gullible.

I personally am fairly religious my self however I don’t condemn any in appropriate behaviour or causing harm to others as that’s not what my religion Islam teaches, it rather teaches to love and spread peace, so when people do stupid things out of the name of religion it’s not only frustrating but it gives the whole religion a bad name.
My best friend is a follower of islam.
Every religion and group has a small number bad apples.
Look at the westboro baptist church pretending to use the bible to justify their vicious thuggery, kkk and their race hate, the babbar khalsa terrorist group of mass murdering khalistanis wanting to create a fundamentalist sikh religious theocracy.
The sane, law abiding members of all those religions are appalled by what the bad apples are doing and the way they try to drag religion down to their level.

A lot of horrible people try to use religion as a means of bullying or committing crimes.
But they are the abusers of this world- they would use any excuse they could to cause trouble.
If religion didn't exist- they would try politics, animal rights or hide behind some other cause.
Football hooligans try to abuse football games/venues/club hospitality and brutally attack other fans in football stadium.
The decent football fans are disgusted by what the hooligans do and how the thugs illegal actions harm the reputation of genuine law abiding football fans.

Remember what all the terrorist groups in northern ireland did?
Vile criminals trying to hide behind politics & religion as their violent criminality created decades of chaos on the streets, terrorist bombings and thousands of murders.
The majority of northern ireland were peaceful, law abiding people disgusted by the appalling crimes committed by both sides- the terrorist unionist loyalists and terrorist nationalist republicans.
Reply 9
What!? Religions are a direct creation of the specific culture of their time.

There's no boundary. One influences and defines the other.
My best friend is a follower of islam.
Every religion and group has a small number bad apples.
Look at the westboro baptist church pretending to use the bible to justify their vicious thuggery, kkk and their race hate, the babbar khalsa terrorist group of mass murdering khalistanis wanting to create a fundamentalist sikh religious theocracy.
The sane, law abiding members of all those religions are appalled by what the bad apples are doing and the way they try to drag religion down to their level.

A lot of horrible people try to use religion as a means of bullying or committing crimes.
But they are the abusers of this world- they would use any excuse they could to cause trouble.
If religion didn't exist- they would try politics, animal rights or hide behind some other cause.
Football hooligans try to abuse football games/venues/club hospitality and brutally attack other fans in football stadium.
The decent football fans are disgusted by what the hooligans do and how the thugs illegal actions harm the reputation of genuine law abiding football fans.

Remember what all the terrorist groups in northern ireland did?
Vile criminals trying to hide behind politics
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ascend
What!? Religions are a direct creation of the specific culture of their time.

There's no boundary. One influences and defines the other.

If you study religion in depth, and have a firm belief, you’ve done your research and not just do things for the sake of it , you’ll understand the true meaning of religion. Killings etc taken place today in the name of religion is not religion at all and if you look into it in depth you can see that it’s unacceptable, culture and religion are two different things. Religion is sometimes used to justify culture but only some know that they don’t work hand in hand and sadly only some people understand this.
religions are a manifestation of the mixture between culture and psychology. They are formed within cultures and are highly specific to that culture and to their needs and present circumstances, and the psychology of the people within them.

What then happens is when that religion expands into a new group of people it adapts and changes, it may still have the same name and a few of the same core beliefs but everything else bends around the new piratical and psychological needs of the new people and their culture.

After creation or adoption religion and cultures live in a symbiotic relationship where both influence and shape the other.

What you have done is just the same as people have done for thousands of years, your shaping your perception of religion to fit your current psychological and cultural needs. Others will do the opposite and will seek to bend society and people around their religion, and you will both conflict and push against each other forever. Neither is right or wrong. luckily beliefs, ancient scriptures and the meaning of life are all so vague that both can use all of them to serve thier purpose. You can go into your religion and find reasons why it should conform to your society, and they can go and find reasons why society should conform to their religion.
Screenshot_20190423-124146.jpg
Original post by fallen_acorns
religions are a manifestation of the mixture between culture and psychology. They are formed within cultures and are highly specific to that culture and to their needs and present circumstances, and the psychology of the people within them.

What then happens is when that religion expands into a new group of people it adapts and changes, it may still have the same name and a few of the same core beliefs but everything else bends around the new piratical and psychological needs of the new people and their culture.

After creation or adoption religion and cultures live in a symbiotic relationship where both influence and shape the other.

What you have done is just the same as people have done for thousands of years, your shaping your perception of religion to fit your current psychological and cultural needs. Others will do the opposite and will seek to bend society and people around their religion, and you will both conflict and push against each other forever. Neither is right or wrong. luckily beliefs, ancient scriptures and the meaning of life are all so vague that both can use all of them to serve thier purpose. You can go into your religion and find reasons why it should conform to your society, and they can go and find reasons why society should conform to their religion.

If you go back in history you will see how culture has changed throughout. I believe that religion has got nothing to do with culture but culture on the other hand tries to abide with religion. It depends how specific and firm that culture is to religion. For example in England, they follow Christianity, which will mean that English culture will more or less be based around Christianity whereas in another country they might follow Islam. Over the years opinions have changed and rulings have been altered. In some cases this is acceptable as in many religions for example Islam, you have to look at the context of time and deal with that situation accordingly. Religion has its own platform, and obviously culture was around longer but religion does not define culture. Now if you have a firm belief in any religion, you will understand the point of view this is coming from however on the other hand if you an atheist it might all just seem the same to you. But I personally think that culture has its own ways of working, it can sometimes work with religion but it can also go against religion and this has been happening in the past up until now.
In what meaningful sense can you separate religion from culture? Christianity is inextricably woven into English culture so much so that it permeates our language. The word crucial is derived from crucifixion. We have sayings like "the writing is on the wall", a direct reference to the book of Daniel. The majority of people in the UK do not believe in God, are not religious but their culture is inextricably Christian.
Original post by limetang
In what meaningful sense can you separate religion from culture? Christianity is inextricably woven into English culture so much so that it permeates our language. The word crucial is derived from crucifixion. We have sayings like "the writing is on the wall", a direct reference to the book of Daniel. The majority of people in the UK do not believe in God, are not religious but their culture is inextricably Christian.

Yes, you can separate religion from culture. If you think about it culture came before religion and people we’re doing what they wish however when religion came into the picture it started to alter the culture and put forward sets of rules. This was to benefit mankind and make them do good. During Jesus’ time, not everyone was supporting him and in fact their was a lot of sinning and even during Muhammad PBUH’s time there wasn’t
ent much support and rather sin and hate. But when religion came into the picture, things started changing. Let’s just say people became more humane. The reason to why the religion rules is followed by non religious people is because it teaches a way of life and it teaches what’s right and wrong. Hence people tend to maintain these rules if their not religious at all or as you say if they are atheist. I don’t want to sound bias but that’s just the beauty of religion, it spreads it’s positivity obviously you might think otherwise but that’s fine as everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Yes, you can separate religion from culture. If you think about it culture came before religion and people we’re doing what they wish however when religion came into the picture it started to alter the culture and put forward sets of rules. This was to benefit mankind and make them do good. During Jesus’ time, not everyone was supporting him and in fact their was a lot of sinning and even during Muhammad PBUH’s time there wasn’t
ent much support and rather sin and hate. But when religion came into the picture, things started changing. Let’s just say people became more humane. The reason to why the religion rules is followed by non religious people is because it teaches a way of life and it teaches what’s right and wrong. Hence people tend to maintain these rules if their not religious at all or as you say if they are atheist. I don’t want to sound bias but that’s just the beauty of religion, it spreads it’s positivity obviously you might think otherwise but that’s fine as everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Are you saying there were no laws before religion?

You are describing history and religion as if the first religions to be invented were Christianity and Islam, both of which only came about in the last 2000 years of civilisation.
Reply 18
true but there are some connections.
Also how does it ruin the beauty of religion.
Original post by amz111
true but there are some connections.
Also how does it ruin the beauty of religion.

I think he means using xyz negative aspect of a culture as religion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending