The Student Room Group

The Death penalty - can this ever be justified in 2019?- your opinion please

Bangladesh are saying if Shamima Begum goes there , she may be subject to the death penalty? Zac Efron is portraying Ted Bundy , a serial killer from the states; he was executed. In the States and many other countries Capital Punishment is still a thing.

I think no matter what a person does , it cannot be corrected by killing them , so i oppose the penalty.

I would like to work on a new policy which discusses these issues. I would like to hear from anyone who has a view on this and why they think how they do ?

Scroll to see replies

if God commands the death penalty on someone, it's justified. because God is always just.
When we eventually develope a lie detector that is probably 100% reliable, perhaps.
I believe if you were the family member of someone who was killed and their murderer was on trial, you would rather them be sentenced to a lengthy time in prison rather than face the death penalty. Would allow the killer to suffer in prison the way the family have suffered.
no i don’t believe in it
Original post by tjblonks

I think no matter what a person does , it cannot be corrected by killing them , so i oppose the penalty.

Mmmmm....so you'll rather have your taxes go to feeding, clothing, providing a bed and other leisure activities that these murderers, rapists and terrorists who by the way are not remorseful for their crimes ( hence why the prosecution/jury at least in the US recommends the death penalty ).

Think for a minute and stop getting high on your esteemed morality. The death penalty is a punishment, not a means of revenge, it is a punishment. Reserved at least in the western world for criminals whose crimes are so heinous, so disgusting, who in addition to, mind you, stood in front of a judge and denied ever committing those crimes.

It also doubles as a deterrent for people who couldn't careless for the moral ramifications of taking a life or lives for that matter, that they in the end will lose theirs as a result of their actions. Its funny how most of the states in the US who abolished the death penalty have the some of the highest homicide rates. Takes me back to documentary i watched about a gang of men who raped two girls on a bridge in Missouri , then pushed them down to their deaths in the river below. They got caught all denied doing it but evidence proved otherwise and were sentenced to death. 15 years later on eath row, after his other two accomplices have been executed, this dude filed an appeal at a time where you naive liberals were gaining steam on overturning the death penalty. He did so saying the police beat the confession out of him, he got a re-trial after significant media coverage and was stil suprise suprise proven to have committed rape and murder, only this time before his punishment was decided, he pleaded guilty and hence avoided the death penalty.....Then all the news outlets quickly dropped the story like it never happened and left the girl's parents enraged their daughter's killer got away with his life after so callously taking someone else's.

Those are the sort of people that the death penalty is meant for, the unrepentant, un-remorseful scum that feed of this kind of stupidity and naivety. The sort of people you'll rather pay to feed and clothe and give opportunity to continue to live their lives.

Its a punishment and a deterrent.... if you can't understand that then well, steer clear of it
I don't think it can be justified under any circumstances. Even in the absence of doubt about whether the person is guilty, or if the method is entirely painless (notwithstanding neither can be guaranteed), I still don't see it as a fitting punishment. Why should the state be legitimised in depriving individuals of the most basic right to life for the sake of retribution? It shouldn't.
I am not sad about Bundy being executed for his crimes.
Original post by Burridge
I don't think it can be justified under any circumstances. Even in the absence of doubt about whether the person is guilty, or if the method is entirely painless (notwithstanding neither can be guaranteed), I still don't see it as a fitting punishment. Why should the state be legitimised in depriving individuals of the most basic right to life for the sake of retribution? It shouldn't.

it's a punishment not a retribution for pete's sake
Original post by Trapmoneybenny

they are synonyms, you wet wipec1.PNGc2.PNG
(edited 4 years ago)
The death penalty is useless, I have done relatively large amounts of research on this, as I have done an assessment some time back on this topic, nothing to boast about, but in that time the facts spoke that it is completely useless, wastes money, doesn't deter crime, is hypocritical and is not justified.
Original post by Leviathan1611
if God commands the death penalty on someone, it's justified. because God is always just.

How do you know God has commanded something?

Besides someone thinking they've been contacted from the above.
No, instead of death penalities it's better to make criminals suffer slowly
No I don’t think that anyone deserves to be executed, instead a long harsh prison sentence would be appropriate for people who have committed unforgivable crimes. In philosophy we had a debate on this, and one of the points brought up was that it was easier and cheaper for the country’s government to execute criminals rather than to keep them alive in prisons. What are your thoughts on that?
Reply 14
Bundy put 30+ victims through hell. Personally, I think that a man who has inflicted so much pain upon others deserves to feel that same pain himself.

Then again, no one really knows what happens after death, so its ambiguity makes the situation hard to debate - for example, if we are reincarnated as other beings after we die, it might be argued that those criminals don't deserve to have such a sudden change of fate and a second chance. Rather, they should be punished on earth for as long as possible. But if it's the whole heaven/hell scenario, then yes. The death penalty should be available in my opinion.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
How do you know God has commanded something?

Besides someone thinking they've been contacted from the above.

the Bible is His Word, if you want to know what His commandments are, read the Bible, everything mankind can know about God is in His Word.
Original post by Trapmoneybenny

You seem confident, care to explain the difference to us all? :rolleyes:
Original post by tjblonks
Bangladesh are saying if Shamima Begum goes there , she may be subject to the death penalty? Zac Efron is portraying Ted Bundy , a serial killer from the states; he was executed. In the States and many other countries Capital Punishment is still a thing.

I would like to work on a new policy which discusses these issues. I would like to hear from anyone who has a view on this and why they think how they do ?

I think there are risks with the death penalty, for example killing an innocent person or the government using it as a tool for revolutionaries. However, I agree with the the death penalty for murderers and pedophiles.
Original post by Leviathan1611
the Bible is His Word, if you want to know what His commandments are, read the Bible, everything mankind can know about God is in His Word.

How haven't at all answered my question.

You said 'if God commands it then it is just', and then I asked how do you know if God has commanded something, what's the answer?
Original post by TheNamesBond.
How haven't at all answered my question.

You said 'if God commands it then it is just', and then I asked how do you know if God has commanded something, what's the answer?

I did, if it's in the Bible, it's his command, because the Bible is his word.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending