The Student Room Group

Gravitational fields questions

1. There is a graph that shows T^2 against r^3, the question askes it to calculate the planets mass, what do I do with the graph?
2. Question : All vector fields have an associated scalar potential. For this question assume earth has a radius of 6400km and a mass of 6x10^24 kg.
Given the gravitational potential Vg is 63 MJ kg^-1 at earths surface calculate Vg at an altitude equal to earths radius?
Calculate the gravitational potential energy of a 10kg ball at an altitude equal to three times earths radius?

Any one who can help me with how I work any of these out, thank you in advanced
Original post by heathersmusical
1. There is a graph that shows T^2 against r^3, the question askes it to calculate the planets mass, what do I do with the graph?

For Q1, you need to know the following relationship:
T2=4π2GMr3 T^2 = \dfrac{4 \pi^2}{GM} r^3

where G is the gravitational constant and M is the mass of the planet.

So you can find the mass of the planet by determining the gradient of the T^2 against r^3 graph. The gradient is
Gradient=4π2GM \text{Gradient} = \dfrac{4 \pi^2}{GM}
Original post by heathersmusical
2. Question : All vector fields have an associated scalar potential. For this question assume earth has a radius of 6400km and a mass of 6x10^24 kg.
Given the gravitational potential Vg is 63 MJ kg^-1 at earths surface calculate Vg at an altitude equal to earths radius?
Calculate the gravitational potential energy of a 10kg ball at an altitude equal to three times earths radius?

For Q2, you need to know that gravitational potential for a mass M is defined by
Vg=GMr V_g = -\dfrac{GM}{r}
https://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/physics/gravitational-potential-energy/revise-it/gravitational-potential

So the Vg at an altitude equal to earths radius is
Vg=GME2RE V_g = -\dfrac{GM_E}{2R_E}

where M_E is the mass of Earth and R_E is the radius of the Earth.

Note that there are at least 2 ways of doing this for this question. You should be familiar with them.
Thank you so much !!
Original post by Eimmanuel
For Q2, you need to know that gravitational potential for a mass M is defined by
Vg=GMr V_g = -\dfrac{GM}{r}
https://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/physics/gravitational-potential-energy/revise-it/gravitational-potential

So the Vg at an altitude equal to earths radius is
Vg=GME2RE V_g = -\dfrac{GM_E}{2R_E}

where M_E is the mass of Earth and R_E is the radius of the Earth.

Note that there are at least 2 ways of doing this for this question. You should be familiar with them.

Quick Reply

Latest