The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

PC since you can emulate pretty much anything on there. Also the countless mods you can get on PC makes a huge difference.
PS4.

I have a Switch and I play a small handful of games on PC, but PS4 wins it.
The Xbox is a non-starter as nearly all its games have always been on PC.

But now PS4 games are getting on PC as well.

But I think comparing PS4 to PC is like apples and oranges because the benefits and negatives are different. PC has free multiplayer, high longevity, you don't need to buy a new one every console gen, has mods (if you're into that)...

...but you also need to build one or at least buy the individual parts to get the most out of it, or pay around £1000 for one already built but you'll still need to learn as you use it so you can upgrade it and fix issues. Issues and errors are a pain, while a console usually either works or one day will simply die.

Most of all, games are digital-only now, which means the very game's existence is at the whim of the publisher or developer. We can play every game that's ever existed at the moment but, years from now, we may see them being 'removed' from stores and thus never able to be played again. Plus, while they're cheaper on PC, you can't sell your digital games yet after playing them, so they don't work out cheaper.
Original post by 1st superstar
Xbox, Nintendo Switch, PS4 or gaming PC? just wondering

Mines the Switch mostly due to all the exclusives :wink:
PC or Switch.
Let's be honest, Nintendo games are cute af, but I prefer PC to consoles because it's just what I grew up with.
XBone X, I never have to worry if I meet the specs of the game or troubleshoot whether I should be using DX12 or not. I still get my beautiful 4K textures without ever needing to worry.

In the famous words of Todd Howard "It just works".
PS2 nuff said
PC, because Heroes of Might and Magic III doesn't exist on any of the others. :noway:

It does exist on Game Boy Colour though, kind-of.
PC easily. Largely because they aren't just one-trick ponies, I mean, sure consoles have some entertainment apps and can browse the web, but I'm not restricted to certain apps on a PC. That's before we get into game prices and just the sheer volume of games you can play since PCs haven't had this whole generation lark with a lack of backwards compatibility. If I want to play say... Star Wars Battlefront (the old one, not EA's reboot), a game from 2004, I'm not restricted because of a lack of backwards compatibility, and I'm not relying on streaming to play it either.

Then we have the free to play games and indie games. There are just a lot more options when it comes to F2P on PC, and plenty of cheap indie games which you can sink hours into.

Also, I think it goes without saying really, but PC has mods. You can add a whole host of new content to a game for the low low price of nothing.

I think a lot of the negativity around PC gaming (largely revolving around troubleshooting) comes from people who have little experience with PCs

Original post by ozzyoscy
Plus, while they're cheaper on PC, you can't sell your digital games yet after playing them, so they don't work out cheaper.

That pretty much relies on what you paid vs what you sell it for. Many PC storefronts are known for offering very deep discounts during sales. That's before you factor in things like Epic games giving away games for free every week, and cheap bundle offers (like those on Humble Bundle for example).

There's potential for consoles games to work out cheaper, but it's largely an on-paper idea.
Original post by TheMcSame
That pretty much relies on what you paid vs what you sell it for.

No ****ing ****! Mindblowing concept!

Key sites offer 'deep discounts'. The rest have been reined in, so you can still expect to pay £10, £8, maybe £5 for a notable game that's years old. Compare it to buying a game on day 1, playing it, then selling it for about the same price after costs.

The games being offered for free are no longer worth anything anyway, hence why they're being offered for free (and why people usually complain about this month's offering of free games being rubbish). They're also simultaneously put on big sale elsewhere. The publisher/developer's allowed it to be offered free because they're usually past expecting notable money from it.
Reply 11
PC for the reasons already stated, it's just better.
PS3 and Nintendo 3DS (clearly I cant afford better consoles), PC is alright but I can’t use it to play FPS games
SNES. The best console with many awesome games and catching soundtracks can never be bested.
Still use my ps4 even if it makes some weird noises.
Original post by 1st superstar
Xbox, Nintendo Switch, PS4 or gaming PC? just wondering

If you add a poll to this thread, there should no option be missed, namely 'others'. That is the one for people like me who think different than the majority. :yes:
Original post by Kallisto
If you add a poll to this thread, there should no option be missed, namely 'others'. That is the one for people like me who think different than the majority. :yes:

Ok
All PlayStation consoles.
PC master race lol
Nintendo DS
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest