The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are debates about systems of oppression still dominated by white males?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Good bloke
A primary school level course in arithmetic will tell you that it is completely accurate.

You are just being silly. If 43% say yes to something does that mean you can assume that the other 57% would say no. That makes no sense. Stop pretending that you really believe it does!
Original post by the beer
Only 29% disagree

Presumably a lot of people did not understand the question (which is a pretty simple one leading to a yes or no answer)?
Original post by mgi
You are just being silly. If 43% say yes to something does that mean you can assume that the other 57% would say no. That makes no sense. Stop pretending that you really believe it does!

It does with a simple binary choice.
Presumably a lot of people did not understand the question (which is a pretty simple one leading to a yes or no answer)?

Come on you always get them, you're not this dense.
Reply 84

Another silly patronising answer. How would you know that people" did not understand the question" . Try to stop defending racism and think!
Reply 85
It does with a simple binary choice.

Do you have any clue how surveys are done? Clearly not!
Only 29% disagree

And what do the missing 28% think?
Come on you always get them, you're not this dense.

Original post by mgi
Do you have any clue how surveys are done? Clearly not!

To clear up the argument let me phrase my point in a different way. 57% of ethnic minorities surveyed do not believe the UK has a problem with racism, therefore a comfortable majority do not believe there is a problem with racism.
Original post by Underscore__
To clear up the argument let me phrase my point in a different way. 57% of ethnic minorities surveyed do not believe the UK has a problem with racism, therefore a comfortable majority do not believe there is a problem with racism.

Nope, try again.
Original post by mgi
Should a man be the chief executive officer of the world feminist women's movement?

Maybe, if like me he supports the equal Treatment of women
Reply 90
Original post by Greywolftwo
Maybe, if like me he supports the equal Treatment of women

No, i think it would ultimately lack credibility although he would be welcome as a supporter.
Nope, try again.

Of course it does.
Question
Do you believe the uk has a problem with racism?
Yes 43%
You could tick no or don’t know.
You can dress it however you want. If you think there’s a problem you’ll tick yes
And only 43% did
Original post by Sammylou40
Of course it does.
Question
Yes 43%
You can dress it however you want. If you think there’s a problem you’ll tick yes
And only 43% did

No. Plenty of reasons why people answer don't know.
Reply 93

This reasoning makes no sense! Have you ever studied basic statistics or survey techniques? You are assuming that the survey had one binary question! And you are assuming that 'no answer' or 'not sure' can be part of the 57%! why? And even using your flawed reasoning, 43% is a hefty number of people. Didn't the Tories get into government on a similar percentage.And aren't the remainers of Brexit complaining on 48%? The problem with race relations in the UK is the poor quality 'head in the sand 'reasoning of too many white people. A cynic might say it gives them an unfair advantage in a wide range of areas of society and they may actually like it that way!
Nope, try again.

I don’t need to, my point was clear.
I don’t need to, my point was clear.

suit yourself
Original post by mgi
No, i think it would ultimately lack credibility although he would be welcome as a supporter.

Yeah fair enough
Original post by mgi
This reasoning makes no sense! Have you ever studied basic statistics or survey techniques? You are assuming that the survey had one binary question! And you are assuming that 'no answer' or 'not sure' can be part of the 57%! why? And even using your flawed reasoning, 43% is a hefty number of people. Didn't the Tories get into government on a similar percentage.And aren't the remainers of Brexit complaining on 48%? The problem with race relations in the UK is the poor quality 'head in the sand 'reasoning of too many white people.

I can’t believe I have to explain it this simply: if 43% of people believe there is a problem we can assume that the remaining 57% answered either ‘there is no problem’ or ‘unsure’. That means that 43% people actively believe there is a problem and the remaining 57% do not believe there is a problem. Some of that 57% will be in the ‘unsure’ category meaning they do not believe there is a problem, nor do they believe there is no problem. The problem you seem to be having is that you think the following statements are the same: ‘there is no problem with racism’ and ‘I do not believe there is a problem with racism’

To put into a different context, in relation to believing in god you have three categories: people who believe god is real, people who believe god is not real and agnostics. Both agnostics and non believers would say ‘I do not believe god exists’ but only the non believers would say ‘I believe god does not exist’.

Original post by mgi
A cynic might say it gives them an unfair advantage in a wide range of areas of society and they may actually like it that way!

Something you’re still yet to provide any evidence to support.
Reply 98
Original post by Sammylou40
Of course it does.
Question
Yes 43%
And only 43% did

Only 43 out of every 100! "Only". And your point of reasoning is exactly what? Can you see how ethnic minority people are patronised by people like you? And not sure does not equal no. Dont be silly! You are bending over backwards to deny the racism concerns of 43 out 100 people. Now why would you do that? The problem with racism in uk is the flagrant denial , regardless of the evidence, that there is a problem of racism in the Uk.
I can’t believe I have to explain it this simply: if 43% of people believe there is a problem we can assume that the remaining 57% answered either ‘there is no problem’ or ‘unsure’. That means that 43% people actively believe there is a problem and the remaining 57% do not believe there is a problem. Some of that 57% will be in the ‘unsure’ category meaning they do not believe there is a problem, nor do they believe there is no problem. The problem you seem to be having is that you think the following statements are the same: ‘there is no problem with racism’ and ‘I do not believe there is a problem with racism’

Nah, you can't just take the whole of that 28%.

Latest

Trending

Trending