The Student Room Group

Is the U.K getting worse every year?

More homeless, more crime, longer NHS wait times, more unemployment, why do you think that is? Can we blame politicians, or is it the lack of unity in British people that prevents them from taking a stand?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ksingh13
More homeless, more crime, longer NHS wait times, more unemployment, why do you think that is? Can we blame politicians, or is it the lack of unity in British people that prevents them from taking a stand?

Mass immigration from Eastern Europe and 3rd would countries. It's led to overpopulation, more crime and less government resources. But, the liberals still want more!

If it helps, the last time the UK was this sh1t was at the start of the 90s. Hang on - that was when the Tories had been in power for 10 years! Could there be a theme?
Reply 3
Original post by Guola61
Mass immigration from Eastern Europe and 3rd would countries. It's led to overpopulation, more crime and less government resources. But, the liberals still want more!

I think there should be controls on immigration such as vetting to stop people who come to abuse the system. It's also unfair to not let people into the country who are genuinely trying to better their lifes.
Reply 4
Original post by ByEeek
If it helps, the last time the UK was this sh1t was at the start of the 90s. Hang on - that was when the Tories had been in power for 10 years! Could there be a theme?

I don't trust labour or conservatives to do right by the country :frown:. There needs to be a new party who genuinely acts in the interest of every citizen.

The cause of this is a weaker economy than we expect or are used to. Simple as that.

Causes for this include:

- The 2008 credit crisis resulting from irresponsible provision of credit
- Large amounts of money spent on wars and armed conflict (from the two World Wars to Iraq and Afghanistan)
- De-industrialisation due to China and the Far-East being able to manufacture goods far more cheaply than us (lower minimum wages etc.)
- Nationalisation of certain industries (especially healthcare) resulting in uncompetitive, inefficient monopolies that swallow money by the day
- An ageing population resulting in a lower proportion of people who are in employment
- Uncertainty over future trading relationships, and probable increase in the friction of trade due to the Brexit vote.
Reply 6
Original post by tazarooni89
The cause of this is a weaker economy than we expect or are used to. Simple as that.

Causes for this include:

- The 2008 credit crisis resulting from irresponsible provision of credit
- Large amounts of money spent on wars and armed conflict (from the two World Wars to Iraq and Afghanistan)
- De-industrialisation due to China and the Far-East being able to manufacture goods far more cheaply than us (lower minimum wages etc.)
- Nationalisation of certain industries (especially healthcare) resulting in uncompetitive, inefficient monopolies that swallow money by the day
- An ageing population resulting in a lower proportion of people who are in employment
- Uncertainty over future trading relationships, and probable increase in the friction of trade due to the Brexit vote.

Thank you for your detailed reply. All those seem to be down to poor decision making. For example the bank's borrowing were due to greedy lenders. The end product was the British people having to bail them out. Wars are due to political decisions, and british people are having to pay for it via terrorist attacks on our nation. I would say a large group of the "elite" are mainly at fault. People who we are meant to have faith in and trust to help the country and its people.
(edited 4 years ago)
Frankly Vietnam is a more prosperous country these days. UK is only any good if you’re a minority, LGBT or a woman. In a climate like ours there have to major redeeming features to compensate and in 2019 there are hardly any. You can get a better all round standard of living in much of Asia.
it certainly feels that way, i've lived in two european countries and the standard of living here is ****e compared to the continent.
People will mention every single potential factor without adressing the fact that 300k people move to the UK every year putting huge strain on every single one of our services and resources. If this rate of migration continues, a new house will have to be built every 4 minutes, day and night by 2030 to support it, which is frankly impossible.

The only people benefiting from this are the 1%, who gain massive profit from decreased wages caused by more low skilled immigrants. They do not have to worry about education, housing, healthcare, or anything else, whilst the rest of the native population suffer because of this. Both the tories and labour support these policies and will continue this problem.

You can't blame these people who come here, but we have no obligation to support them. Why should some dying pensioner who has paid taxes her entire life have to wait weeks or even months for surgery whilst someone who has moved here recently is just as eligible whilst paying effectively nothing in comparison. It's disgusting.
Reply 10
Original post by ArainIsAc0ck
Frankly Vietnam is a more prosperous country these days. UK is only any good if you’re a minority, LGBT or a woman. In a climate like ours there have to major redeeming features to compensate and in 2019 there are hardly any. You can get a better all round standard of living in much of Asia.

Yes the UK has great equality. Vietnam's work force is being taken advantage of from rich corporations. If there was employment laws in Vietnam it arguably wouldn't be prosperous.
Reply 11
Original post by abcthe123
People will mention every single potential factor without adressing the fact that 300k people move to the UK every year putting huge strain on every single one of our services and resources. If this rate of migration continues, a new house will have to be built every 4 minutes, day and night by 2030 to support it, which is frankly impossible.

The only people benefiting from this are the 1%, who gain massive profit from decreased wages caused by more low skilled immigrants. They do not have to worry about education, housing, healthcare, or anything else, whilst the rest of the native population suffer because of this. Both the tories and labour support these policies and will continue this problem.

You can't blame these people who come here, but we have no obligation to support them. Why should some dying pensioner who has paid taxes her entire life have to wait weeks or even months for surgery whilst someone who has moved here recently is just as eligible whilst paying effectively nothing in comparison. It's disgusting.

Thank you for your reply. I don't see things changing while potentially corrupt politicians are in power.
Why should some dying pensioner who has paid taxes her entire life have to wait weeks or even months for surgery whilst someone who has moved here recently is just as eligible whilst paying effectively nothing in comparison. It's disgusting.

This is a rather strange argument.

Do you think that old-age pensioners should always be at the front of the queue ahead of say, a recent university graduate requiring life-saving surgery, just because they have paid taxes for longer? Or should richer patients be ahead of poorer patients, because they have paid a greater amount in tax?

If your right to healthcare depends on how much you have paid, then why have an NHS at all? We could just privatise it in that case.
Reply 13
It's also unfair to not let people into the country who are genuinely trying to better their lifes.

Why do liberals seem to think the UK has unlimited resources. We are a small country already overpopulated
No the country is just the same as it always been it just because 24 hour news internet we know more about thing that are happen unlike 30 years ago when we really only had the six o'clock and a few newspapers.

Similarly, in the US, we have no obligation to provide "free": healthcare, education, housing, clothing, and everything else to the entire world. Even if you would be willing to do so, and had the endless resources to do so, space, time, and logistics prevent it. As you remark - building a house every 4 minutes, year after year, is hardly practical.

The responsibility to 'provide' all of this stuff is that of the immigrant's home country. They fail to do so for several reasons. a> the country(s) in question is a kleptocracy. Those in power steal everything they can get their hands on, and squrrel it away in Swiss bank accounts. African (particularly central Africa) countries are an example of this. b> the country(s) in question is obsessed with 'control & taxation'. As a contact of mine from Chile put it to me: "The government here is SO obsessed with the fear that someone might make $5, and they might not get $4.50 of it, that they make it nearly impossible to start or run a business. Consequently, nobody tries. As a result, unemployment is through the roof! Central/South American countries are examples of this - Venezuela being a prime example.

Rather than the 'victim' country that accepts the immigrants having to 'beggar' their own citizens, in order to provide "free" stuff for everyone else in the world, the immigrants should insist that their own 'governments' [using the term very advisedly], provide these services - which their own citizens are justly entitled to. It should not be Iceland's responsibility {picking a country at random}, to provide me with a master's degree. That should derive from my citizenship in my home country, and my country's interest in improving the competitiveness of its own citizenry. In the US, this is done, and i have benefited from it. Nearly all technical companies here support employees (after they have worked for 3 to 5 years), who want to pursue either a bachelor's degree or an advanced degree in a subject that could be applicable to the company's business. I had all the tuition paid for my master's by two different employers. All i had to do was gain admission, go to class & do satisfactory work. Many other countries have similar programs. There was no "pay back" required - although i was expected to work for the supporting company for 5 years after degree award. The tuition payment was non-taxable too. The company(s) get a tax deduction for 'employee training. I believe that the deduction here is incentivized - the more employees you train in an applicable skill, the higher your deduction for each one. They would have paid for my textbooks too, but i declined, as i didn't want any contretemps as to ownership of the textbooks after i finished my courses. I intended to keep them. This was a significant investment - as some of them cost well over $300USD, being specialized and low-volume.

Here is something for the UN and world bank to do: Go after these thieving politicians who are robbing their own citizens, and make them provide 'value for money' - since the populace keeps re-electing them to office, regardless of their thievery. Maduro (Moros) being one prime example in Venezuela. Any Venezuelans that want to go home and kick a**, i will be glad to hold your coats!! Cheers.
Objectively, no it isn't.

But that doesn't suit your narrative, so crack on.
We've never had it so good, that's for sure. The extent we are pampered and the lengths we go to to avoid any discomfort whatsoever is staggering. Even down to our Phillipino healthcare assistant and Polish plumber to do all our work for us.

However, we must acknowledge that our rate of wealth increase has stagnated. By far the biggest factor in that is ageing population.
We complain and keep on voting the same Politicians in each time.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
This is a rather strange argument.

Do you think that old-age pensioners should always be at the front of the queue ahead of say, a recent university graduate requiring life-saving surgery, just because they have paid taxes for longer? Or should richer patients be ahead of poorer patients, because they have paid a greater amount in tax?

If your right to healthcare depends on how much you have paid, then why have an NHS at all? We could just privatise it in that case.

My point was that Britain should put the interests of British people first. The reality is whether you're rich or poor you've paid a proportional amount of your income into the system. Assuming that young person is a British Citizen, our country has an obligation to look after them, why should people from all over the world be our burden and put strain on our healthcare?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending