The Student Room Group

Maternity leave. Should people gain annual leave while on maternity leave?

I know someone who works for the public sector and is on maternity leave for 9 months and still gains 15 weeks annual leave while they return from maternity leave.
I don’t think this is fair. Getting pregnant is a choice why should they be rewarded annual leave while they are not working? It must cost the taxpayers a fortune.
At a time of proposed severe austerity and cuts in public sector jobs there should not be any annual leave gained while a person is on maternity leave. It makes no sense and would save a lot of money that could be spent on the NHS, Education and Welfare instead of paid annual leave and maternity leave.
Also with public sector staff shortages maternity leave should be reduced to 6 months maximum. Not 9 months.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I know someone who works for the public sector and is on maternity leave for 9 months and still gains 15 weeks annual leave while they return from maternity leave.
I don’t think this is fair. Getting pregnant is a choice why should they be rewarded annual leave while they are not working? It must cost the taxpayers a fortune.
At a time of proposed severe austerity and cuts in public sector jobs there should not be any annual leave gained while a person is on maternity leave. It makes no sense and would save a lot of money that could be spent on the NHS, Education and Welfare instead of paid annual leave and maternity leave.
Also with public sector staff shortages maternity leave should be reduced to 6 months maximum. Not 9 months.

I would absolutely 100% agree with you. People won't admit it but there will be many times a young woman won't be offered a job because she might get pregnant.

Nick Ferrari on LBC radio always uses the example of a small family owned bakery in some imaginary town. They employ 6 woman and they all get pregnant at the same time. The owner then has to pay 6 maternity leave and 6 temporary replacements. Firm goes under
Reply 2
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I would absolutely 100% agree with you. People won't admit it but there will be many times a young woman won't be offered a job because she might get pregnant.

Nick Ferrari on LBC radio always uses the example of a small family owned bakery in some imaginary town. They employ 6 woman and they all get pregnant at the same time. The owner then has to pay 6 maternity leave and 6 temporary replacements. Firm goes under

In your example the bakery owner is clearly an idiot as they can claim back 103% of maternity pay from the government.

What you’re suggesting is literally discrimination and illegal. Maternity leave is not the same as taking a holiday. She’s preparing to push a baby out of her vagina, and then has to have her body heal whilst caring for a newborn, all with little help since her partner will only be off work for 2 weeks and her family and friends are probably working. If a woman decides to save her annual leave because she discovered she was pregnant and could do with the extra time off, why shouldn’t she be allowed to take it!? (Especially if you’re proposing that maternity leave should be reduced) She earned that annual leave just like anyone else in the company. It’s not a reward if you rightfully earned it.

This whole ‘pregnancy is a choice’ is a silly thing to say. If you break your legs and arms because you ran out into the road without looking and got hit by a car, should the company be allowed to refuse to pay you while you’re off? and then refuse you the annual leave that you’ve earned because you’re already taking time off for the injury? So during the time that you’re off, you’re not going to be receiving any income. Is that fair?
(edited 4 years ago)

What an unrealistic example! Although all the employees at my local bakery are middle aged come to think of it :holmes:

I must admit I was surprised when I came back to work after maternity leave to find out I had somehow accrued several weeks of annual leave while I was away from work. I was pretty happy about it as I was already suffering separation anxiety from being apart from my TV.
Original post by harrysbar
What an unrealistic example! Although all the employees at my local bakery are middle aged come to think of it :holmes:

I must admit I was surprised when I came back to work after maternity leave to find out I had somehow accrued several weeks of annual leave while I was away from work. I was pretty happy about it as I was already suffering separation anxiety from being apart from my TV.

It is an extreme example and not mine. But there will be discrimination against women of child bearing age. I work with a girl who has had two children one after the other. We all have to work harder as a result. She takes time off for sickness too.... which is fine .. I get that but it leaves the rest of us carrying the can.
It is an extreme example and not mine. But there will be discrimination against women of child bearing age. I work with a girl who has had two children one after the other. We all have to work harder as a result. She takes time off for sickness too.... which is fine .. I get that but it leaves the rest of us carrying the can.

You can’t discriminate against someone because they’re of child bearing age
Reply 7
Original post by cherryred90s
What you’re suggesting is literally discrimination and illegal. Maternity leave is not the same as taking a holiday. She’s preparing to push a baby out of her vagina, and then has to have her body heal whilst caring for a newborn, all with little help since her partner will only be off work for 2 weeks and her family and friends are probably working. If a woman decides to save her annual leave because she discovered she was pregnant and could do with the extra time off, why shouldn’t she be allowed to take it!? (Especially if you’re proposing that maternity leave should be reduced) She earned that annual leave just like anyone else in the company. It’s not a reward if you rightfully earned it.

This whole ‘pregnancy is a choice’ is a silly thing to say. If you break your legs and arms because you ran out into the road without looking and got hit by a car, should the company be allowed to refuse to pay you while you’re off? and then refuse you the annual leave that you’ve earned because you’re already taking time off for the injury? So during the time that you’re off, you’re not going to be receiving any income. Is that fair?

How is running into traffic like an idiot the same as getting pregnant?

so don't have children then the world is overpopulated... hunny when i was in my mum's belly she still went to work just like most of the relatives in my family
Original post by Bio 7
How is running into traffic like an idiot the same as getting pregnant?

The op mentioned that pregnancy is a choice, as If that’s reason not to honour time off. If you make the ‘choice’ to do something that causes you to become very injured, nobody would argue that you shouldn’t be entitled to paid time off while you recover
Original post by 1st superstar
so don't have children then the world is overpopulated... hunny when i was in my mum's belly she still went to work just like most of the relatives in my family

Clearly you don’t understand how maternity leave works ‘hunny’. You’re still expected to work up until the 7 month of pregnancy.

Getting pregnant is a choice, but if we don't support parents we will be messing up the next generation of kids and young people.

idiotic comment most of the time you CHOOSE to have sex which is why I find in aggravating that sanitary products still have the "luxury tax" on them yet a can get a condom for free so I can f*ck around with someone in bed out of my FREE WILL? please give me a break... I didn't choose to have blood pouring out from down there every month (plus i don't wanna have kids) but in most cases people choose to have sex don't like it?!?! well don't have sex in the first place... no sex=less likely to have kids= less overpopulation= saving the NHS money
Original post by Wired_1800
we will be messing up the next generation of kids and young people.

too late it has already happened...
idiotic comment most of the time you CHOOSE to have sex which is why I find in aggravating that sanitary products still have the "luxury tax" on them yet a can get a condom for free so I can f*ck around with someone in bed out of my FREE WILL? please give me a break... I didn't choose to have blood pouring out from down there every month (plus i don't wanna have kids) but in most cases people choose to have sex don't like it?!?! well don't have sex in the first place... no sex=less likely to have kids= less overpopulation= saving the NHS money

If a woman is taking maternity leave, it’s because she wants to have her baby. You proposing that people shouldn’t have sex if they don’t want to have a baby has no relevance because that’s not the situation
If a woman is taking maternity leave, it’s because she wants to have her baby. You proposing that people shouldn’t have sex if they don’t want to have a baby has no relevance because that’s not the situation

it does have relevance as the women COULD get pregnant thus costing the tax payer more i'll stop whining once sanitary products get their tax removed from them... reduce maternity leave each time you decide to have a child
(edited 4 years ago)
You can’t discriminate against someone because they’re of child bearing age

I appreciate that - but I will bet it happens - 2 people with exactly the same experience - one child bearing age and one not - I know who I would take
The op mentioned that pregnancy is a choice, as If that’s reason not to honour time off. If you make the ‘choice’ to do something that causes you to become very injured, nobody would argue that you shouldn’t be entitled to paid time off while you recover

ok then so where's my free food, water and free sanitary products? (i would like Always platinum or sensitive pads please)...
too late it has already happened...

Some kids are messed up and need support.
well don't have sex in the first place... no sex=less likely to have kids= less overpopulation= saving the NHS money

I love how many people saying things like this are the same people fine with importing hundreds of thousands of people from cultures where having 6 kids are the norm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending