The Student Room Group

Can someone become a more logical person?

I know that an intelligent person is different from a logical person. The intelligence of a person can not change much (like our IQ) but can someone's logical thinking improve?

Scroll to see replies

IQ and any for of personality tests are pure junk. If your IQ is fixed, taking a variety of tests would surely yield the same score. Yet this is not the case.

In my view lrarning is achieved through guidence and practice. If someone is deemed intelligent because they make hood decisions I would say that by teaching how to make good decisions and being givern opportunities to ptactice you can become more intelligent.
Just do a course of formal logic.

Original post by ByEeek
IQ and any for of personality tests are pure junk. If your IQ is fixed, taking a variety of tests would surely yield the same score. Yet this is not the case.

In my view lrarning is achieved through guidence and practice. If someone is deemed intelligent because they make hood decisions I would say that by teaching how to make good decisions and being givern opportunities to ptactice you can become more intelligent.

According to standarised tests, I'm over-average intelligent, and from my experience I usually win discussions.
In my view, (simplifying), intelligence allows you to get better in anything you're trained (used) to.
Reply 3
Original post by PTMalewski

According to standarised tests, I'm over-average intelligent, and from my experience I usually win discussions.
In my view, (simplifying), intelligence allows you to get better in anything you're trained (used) to.

Wait so can you train yourself to become more intelligent or is it just good genes?
Reply 4
Deffo - Logic can be something you pick up and learn.

Take maths for example - it’s completely logic based.

I used to be **** at it. In year 10 I was predicted a grade 5 and by the end of year 11 I got a grade 8 (2 marks off a 9)... and now I’m doing A-Level Maths.

How? Because I revised my ass off and just clocked I guess lmao.
Original post by 12115
Wait so can you train yourself to become more intelligent or is it just good genes?

You get more logical, through training in logic.
Every person has some natural skill of being more or less logical, but logic in general requires training. The more you train, the higher skills you have. As much as maths (to which formal logic is pretty similar) or skills in playing an instrument.

In terms of intelligence, it's been proven that although intelligence relies heavily on genes and evironment, you get more intelligent if you undergo continuous intellectual training, and less intelligent if you just do nothing (drink, watch TV, f*** and so on).
I suppose it depends on the context. You can absolutely teach yourself to be better at logical thinking but it takes a lot of practice and thinking in a methodical and logical fashion will always take some time and effort if it isn't something that comes to you naturally.

Is there a particular reason you are asking?
If you actually study 'Logic' then of course you will improve.
Reply 8
You get more logical, through training in logic.
Every person has some natural skill of being more or less logical, but logic in general requires training. The more you train, the higher skills you have. As much as maths (to which formal logic is pretty similar) or skills in playing an instrument.

In terms of intelligence, it's been proven that although intelligence relies heavily on genes and evironment, you get more intelligent if you undergo continuous intellectual training, and less intelligent if you just do nothing (drink, watch TV, f*** and so on).

Thank you
If you don't mind me asking, you don't have to answer this, but what standardised test did you take and what did you get in them? It is because you said you are over-average intelligence and I'm just curious:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by black tea
I suppose it depends on the context. You can absolutely teach yourself to be better at logical thinking but it takes a lot of practice and thinking in a methodical and logical fashion will always take some time and effort if it isn't something that comes to you naturally.

Is there a particular reason you are asking?

I really want to do business and I want to be prepared mentally to face anything thrown at me including winning discussions and solving problems.
Original post by 12115
I really want to do business and I want to be prepared mentally to face anything thrown at me including winning discussions and solving problems.

You can get better at those things with practice and experience. Not sure what stage you are at, but joining a debate team or discussion group would definitely be useful.
Original post by 12115
Thank you
If you don't mind me asking, you don't have to answer this, but what standardised test did you take and what did you get in them? It is because you said you are over-average intelligence and I'm just curious:smile:

I do about 130 on Binet's scale, depending what test, and shape am I in. I suffer from Hashimoto and depression, and I often feel like crap, so I often underperform.
is there a limit to how much logical a person can be?

According to standarised tests, I'm over-average intelligent,

What does that even mean? How can you even quantify something as unquantifiable as intelligence?
Reply 14
Original post by da_nolo

Well that's y I asked the question to find out because I know there are limits to intelligence like genetics and your environment but I was not sure about logical thinking if it is a skill that can be developed?
Original post by 12115
Well that's y I asked the question to find out because I know there are limits to intelligence like genetics and your environment but I was not sure about logical thinking if it is a skill that can be developed?

well I know it can be developed and one may not have it at all. but that limit or cap part sure is a doozy. we may all have a limit to our own personal capabilities to think, so maybe yes. on an individual level.
Original post by ByEeek
What does that even mean? How can you even quantify something as unquantifiable as intelligence?

Ask the people who made those classifications.

I have my own observations, but those can hardly be a proof of anything.
I've got papers, and tests results, that's the best I know about my itelligence.

I'm not very intelligent, I'm just above the average score.
Original post by da_nolo

Who knows? And would that be even good? The problem is, that many things are done beyond our consciense. Also, the analitical phillosphy aimed to make all knowledge logical and proven, and so far ended up in throwing insults.

What I know, is that formal logic helps a lot, but I sometimes know the right result of some calculation, whithout knowing exactly how should I have done it, and I know that some things feel logical although they are too complicated to be consciously analised (at least in my free time, coming back from work I'd rather wish to die than do anything).
Reply 18
Yes, it's something that changed for me in 10 years of reading philosophy at HE institutions

Do much so that it was to become a problem between me and one of my ex girlfriends
Original post by gjd800
Yes, it's something that changed for me in 10 years of reading philosophy at HE institutions

Do much so that it was to become a problem between me and one of my ex girlfriends

well then good thing she's an ex. :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending