The Student Room Group

Can someone have Gender Dysphoria but not be Transgender?

I recognise my thread title probably won't mean what I wanted it to mean, but what I meaned for it to mean was 'Can someone with GD be male for instance yet not consider themselves to be a woman?'. Can they for instance be of the persuasion that they would be more comfortable were they to be of another gender than the one they were assigned at birth but believe that ultimately they are they gender they were assigned at birth, or even that it is impossible for them to be anything other than the gender they were assigned at birth?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Isn't this what the 'agender' category is for?
Reply 2
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I recognise my thread title probably won't mean what I wanted it to mean, but what I meaned for it to mean was 'Can someone with GD be male for instance yet not consider themselves to be a woman?'. Can they for instance be of the persuasion that they would be more comfortable were they to be of another gender than the one they were assigned at birth but believe that ultimately they are they gender they were assigned at birth, or even that it is impossible for them to be anything other than the gender they were assigned at birth?

Hi! As a transgender person myself I will try to answer this as best as I can. Gender dysphoria is “the condition of feeling one's emotional and psychological identity as a different gender to the ones biological sex” So no is what I ultimately believe the answer to your question is. For myself (a ftm- female to male transgender person) I was born female but know I am a male. It is not that I think if I am male I would “have a better life because men are treated better in society” It is to do its the fact I was born in the wrong body and my brain does not match my biological sex. No one choices to be transgender, and you cannot be transgender without gender dysphoria. Hope this answered your question
You can be anything you like. Skies the limit.
Reply 4
Yeah if they have gender dysphoria but are keeping it secret and continuing to identify as their birth gender (although they don’t want to), then they aren’t transgender I’d say. I think gender dysphoria is feeling your assigned gender at birth is wrong, and being transgender is actually changing your gender identity and presenting as the gender you weren’t assigned at birth (excluding intersex people, who could identify as either or both and not really be trans since they have been that gender (genetically or physically) in a way since birth, even if they initially were labelled another gender).
Original post by Calebb
Hi! As a transgender person myself I will try to answer this as best as I can. Gender dysphoria is “the condition of feeling one's emotional and psychological identity as a different gender to the ones biological sex” So no is what I ultimately believe the answer to your question is. For myself (a ftm- female to male transgender person) I was born female but know I am a male. It is not that I think if I am male I would “have a better life because men are treated better in society” It is to do its the fact I was born in the wrong body and my brain does not match my biological sex. No one choices to be transgender, and you cannot be transgender without gender dysphoria. Hope this answered your question

What would a person who feels they would be/are more comfortable in the body of someone of the opposite sex but who does not believe they are anything other than the gender they were assigned at birth be called then, do you know?
Reply 6
What would a person who feels they would be/are more comfortable in the body of someone of the opposite sex but who does not believe they are anything other than the gender they were assigned at birth be called then, do you know?

To be quite honest that just sounds like being transgender but being in denial
Original post by Pharyngotympanic
Isn't this what the 'agender' category is for?

No, agender is people who don't have a gender at all - just like atheists are people who don't have any belief in god(s) or asexuals are people who don't experience sexual attraction

As for the OPs question, depends on how you define being trans - is a person who experiences gender dysphoria but doesn't want to transition for whatever reason (lack of safety in doing so, internalised transphobia etc.) still trans? If yes and it's the relation to birth gender alone then no, anyone who experiences gender dysphoria would be trans because their relationship to their birth gender would still be that of a trans person, not a cis person. If no and it's the status of transition, not the relationship to gender, that makes someone trans then yes, you could have gender dysphoria and not be trans by choosing not to transition.
@InArduisFouette as our resident expert perhaps you could shed some light on the matter.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
If no and it's the status of transition, not the relationship to gender, that makes someone trans then yes, you could have gender dysphoria and not be trans by choosing not to transition.

I thought it was universally recognised that a person could be a transperson without having transitioned, just not a transsexual, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong to be under said impression.

Anyway, I should perhaps say that the Male in my example in my original post has not necessarily not transitioned. If I implied that they had not transitioned by my stating of them being Male, then that was my mistake.
Yeah if they havent transitioned.
Original post by angelike1
Yeah if they havent transitioned.

Why can a person with Gender Dysphoria not be transgender only if they are not transsexual?
I thought it was universally recognised that a person could be a transperson without having transitioned, just not a transsexual, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong to be under said impression.

Anyway, I should perhaps say that the Male in my example in my original post has not necessarily not transitioned. If I implied that they had not transitioned by my stating of them being Male, then that was my mistake.

Transgender and transsexual are generally interchangeable terms in how they're used, with transsexual being a bit more archaic, rather than designating transition status for the most part.

So, they have transitioned, have gender dysphoria but still refer to themselves as a man? Cant say I'd understand why someone would do that, but I'd say they're still trans in that their relationship to gender is not that of a cis person and they've transitioned.
you need dysphoria to be trans but it doesn't = trans, dysphoria is the psychological/medical element of having a brain thats different to your body in terms of sex, transitioning is essentially a way of 'treating' / reducing that dysphoria, but im sure theres other ways like therapy that can help you cope with it, or it may be something you can handle yourself, so yeah
Why can a person with Gender Dysphoria not be transgender only if they are not transsexual?

ah my bad got mixed up with transexual
Original post by Calebb
To be quite honest that just sounds like being transgender but being in denial

I don't know, I would have imagined there are at least some people who are uncomfortable with the body they were born with who consider gender to be a characteristic based on one's physiology which we are currently unable to change just the same as there are people who are comfortable in their body who hold that position. And even if you disagree with such a person's notion of gender, I don't think it could be said that such a person is in denial of their gender by having that opinion.

Yes it is called 75-90% of "transgender Children" since most of them grow out of it.
I've just came across an entire community of transpeople on Twitter who don't consider themselves to actually be the sex/gender they have transitioned to. I guess the transpersons of TSR are not representative of all transpeople.
I've just came across an entire community of transpeople on Twitter who don't consider themselves to actually be the sex/gender they have transitioned to. I guess the transpersons of TSR are not representative of all transpeople.

wtf :lol: most of these people are just attention seeking I swear
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
wtf :lol: most of these people are just attention seeking I swear

The people I found on Twitter? Why do they have to believe that surgery and chemicals actually make them the opposite sex to the one they were born as, rather than just make them more comfortable in their own body? I didn't see why that had to be the case even though that is what it appeared to be, which was why I made this thread, and why I have no reason to believe the following people are just attention seeking:
https://twitter.com/DebbieHayton
https://twitter.com/FionneOrlander

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending