The Student Room Group

What would you do in a world without smartphones?

I don't have a smartphone, there are probably several hundreds or thousands in the UK who don't, but the vast majority of people have one. I understand we live in a socially connected world and having one makes our lives easier supposedly-but how would you all cope in a world without them? I'd feel as splendid as if the electric grid went down-because we don't need electric and we don't need mobile phones.

Scroll to see replies

*shrug* Do much the same things as before likely, maybe some a little slower.
I’d just use a computer instead to do the same things
I was just going to comment that I would be happier and more relaxed, like I was growing up without phones/smart phones. It was great - I would love it to be in a world without smart phones.

But then your last line where you grouped in electricity? I mean, that's a bit different.. If that just went away, many would die and it would be an absolute disaster.
Original post by tazarooni89
I’d just use a computer instead to do the same things

I think for me that's the point. I don't want to loose the functions of smartphones, so I wouldn't want to go back to a pre-computer, or pre-internet time. I just prefer people using PCs for these things because a PC can't intrude socially into your life, it stays at home generally or in a few circumstances where you would take a laptop. It doesn't invade social situations, events, occasions, conversations etc.
OMG I think I would go into melt down.
Cant do without my mobile, use it continuely for business.
Original post by fallen_acorns
I was just going to comment that I would be happier and more relaxed, like I was growing up without phones/smart phones. It was great - I would love it to be in a world without smart phones.

But then your last line where you grouped in electricity? I mean, that's a bit different.. If that just went away, many would die and it would be an absolute disaster.

Smartphones are at once helpful and a hindrance. I guess many youngsters spend too much time on social media that they forget what life is. It's so easy to be consumed by Facebook and Twitter and smartphones make all of social media more accessible and addictive. Many TV adverts boast the use of smartphones and tablets to, so they have brought on a tidal wave of consumerist and business interest to a fault.

As for living without electricity-I don't see any other animals on this planet that require electricity to live. Yes many would die without electricity but that's how we're meant to be-that's our primordial living standard.
Reply 7
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I don't have a smartphone, there are probably several hundreds or thousands in the UK who don't, but the vast majority of people have one. I understand we live in a socially connected world and having one makes our lives easier supposedly-but how would you all cope in a world without them? I'd feel as splendid as if the electric grid went down-because we don't need electric and we don't need mobile phones.

That's madness. If we suddenly lost power it would be chaos. Do you know how much of the country doesn't require power to operate?
Original post by Bio 7
That's madness. If we suddenly lost power it would be chaos. Do you know how much of the country doesn't require power to operate?

Madness indeed in this age, but I think it'd be lovely because then we'd be living how we're meant to in the first place until we decided that we're superior to all other lifeforms.
Reply 9
Madness indeed in this age, but I think it'd be lovely because then we'd be living how we're meant to in the first place until we decided that we're superior to all other lifeforms.

Well I hope you don't need police or medical help because it won't be coming.
Reply 10
I'd use my laptop more.
Original post by Bio 7
Well I hope you don't need police or medical help because it won't be coming.

Pfft the police, we don't need police when we have tribalism embedded into us. Medical support can be conjured up with the knowhow.
Reply 12
Pfft the police, we don't need police when we have tribalism embedded into us. Medical support can be conjured up with the knowhow.

Have fun with your anarchy.
Original post by Bio 7
Have fun with your anarchy.

Yay I love anarchy.

Not really. Pre power, people spent all their spare time surviving. Without power you would have no recreation or relaxation. Washing up would take hours as you'd have to heat water and we would be back to the days of taking a whole day to wash your clothes.
Original post by ByEeek
Not really. Pre power, people spent all their spare time surviving. Without power you would have no recreation or relaxation. Washing up would take hours as you'd have to heat water and we would be back to the days of taking a whole day to wash your clothes.

That's the point, everything has to be so immediate these days it generally makes us more lax and unfussed. If we had to wash our clothes manually every day then that's good, but we could always do away with clothes altogether it's too much of a hassle.
Use a PDA instead.
That's the point, everything has to be so immediate these days it generally makes us more lax and unfussed. If we had to wash our clothes manually every day then that's good, but we could always do away with clothes altogether it's too much of a hassle.

Feel free to go outside today without your clothes. You will then experience how unadapted we are to that way of living.
I'd invent the smartphone and get rich.
Original post by Diplomatic
I'd invent the smartphone and get rich.

This would be disallowed and all smartphones would be dumped in a landfill.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending