The Student Room Group

Double standards for drugs

Now I'm white, but it angers me so much in my school when I see rich, white kids talk brazenly about cocaine and other drugs they take, when I know almost for a fact they'll never get stopped and searched, imprisoned etc, whereas as we've recently seen, black people guilty of the same offense end up being deported. Now I know some of them had done other things, but it seems ridiculous to deport them, but that's another issue for another day. Anyone else agree with me on this one?
Reply 1
As you say, the deportation is due to another factor, which also has implications on how harshly the law treats people and I think it makes sense to kick out the criminals we can.

What you are talking about is due to wealth, not skin colour or nationality, though these will play a part. Your family friend the judge is going to be more lenient on you than some random poor person, with the knock on effect of the police not wasting resources on putting that case together.
If you aren't a citizen you get deported after a 12 month sentence black or white.

The key point is they aren't citizens.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
If you aren't a citizen you get deported after a 12 month sentence black or white.

IKR I don't understand this fuss over it. They aren't British... why keep them here especially when they've commited crimes?

But white people have far more fredom to use drugs. They're just as or more likely to commit drugs offensese as blacks but far less likely to be arrested.
Reply 5
Original post by Ferrograd
Now I'm white, but it angers me so much in my school when I see rich, white kids talk brazenly about cocaine and other drugs they take, when I know almost for a fact they'll never get stopped and searched, imprisoned etc, whereas as we've recently seen, black people guilty of the same offense end up being deported. Now I know some of them had done other things, but it seems ridiculous to deport them, but that's another issue for another day. Anyone else agree with me on this one?

Personal use is different to supplying.

Actually making drugs illegal is about the stupidest thing that most governments do. But then the vast majority of politicians really aren't that bright. We need laws similar to those for tobacco and alcohol: an age limit, and a tax. The cost of these drugs would plummet overnight, so all the gangs would be instantly put out of business. Also a very large percentage of robberies are down to druggies desperate to finance their habit. Between the money saved by vastly reducing crime, and that raised by tax, a lot more could be done to try and help addicts, if that's what society really wants to do with them.
Original post by the beer
But white people have far more fredom to use drugs. They're just as or more likely to commit drugs offensese as blacks but far less likely to be arrested.

These are the most recent figures I could find on the matter.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/health/alcohol-smoking-and-drug-use/illicit-drug-use-among-adults/latest

So Black people are more likely than any other ethnicity to use drugs.
However ethnic minorities are overrepresented in the CJS for drug offences.
County lines gangs are a terrible problem and are affecting the whole country and abusing young vulnerable people. I know it's controversial to say, but these posh white kids are just taking it for their own use, they're not part of a drug network dealing/supplying and knifing people.
These are the most recent figures I could find on the matter.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/health/alcohol-smoking-and-drug-use/illicit-drug-use-among-adults/latest

So Black people are more likely than any other ethnicity to use drugs.
However ethnic minorities are overrepresented in the CJS for drug offences.

Original post by karelina
County lines gangs are a terrible problem and are affecting the whole country and abusing young vulnerable people. I know it's controversial to say, but these posh white kids are just taking it for their own use, they're not part of a drug network dealing/supplying and knifing people.

Doesn't say anything in particular about cocaine though, which is typically associated with the wealthy.

Those figures are just the tip of the iceberg, there are probably more white people who take drugs.

If posh white kids weren't taking cocaine, there would be no drug supply networks because the demand would not exist. And I know for a fact that lots of white kids - rich or not - are involved in drug dealing etc, I just know that they are far less likely to get profiled than black people.

Regardless of whether they were UK citizens or not, most of these people had lived in Britain for most of their lives. These people are not just recent arrivals causing trouble. They have served their time in prison. What's to stop them from just coming back illegally when they've deported them?
Doesn't say anything in particular about cocaine though, which is typically associated with the wealthy.

That's a really old stereotype IMO, crap coke because mainstream well over a decade ago, It is basically Burberry™
Original post by StriderHort
That's a really old stereotype IMO, crap coke because mainstream well over a decade ago, It is basically Burberry™

It's true though.
Reply 12

Two people being guilty of the same offence does not mean the circumstances surrounding the offences are the same. There are many factors that can influence a sentence. What quanitity of drugs were they carrying? Were they purely for personal use or was there evidence of drug dealing? What were they doing before the police approached them? Did they have a weapon? Did they comply with the police or attempt to flee? Do they have any previous convictions?
Original post by Wōden
Two people being guilty of the same offence does not mean the circumstances surrounding the offences are the same. There are many factors that can influence a sentence. What quanitity of drugs were they carrying? Were they purely for personal use or was there evidence of drug dealing? What were they doing before the police approached them? Did they have a weapon? Did they comply with the police or attempt to flee? Do they have any previous convictions?

The circumstances being, one was black, one was white.

No, in all seriousness I do understand, but if people didn't use the drug in the first place, traditionally white, middle class people like Michael Gove et al there wouldn't be any supplying, meaning people wouldn't have to carry weapons, meaning people wouldn't have to murder.....you get the idea
Reply 14
The circumstances being, one was black, one was white.

No, in all seriousness I do understand, but if people didn't use the drug in the first place, traditionally white, middle class people like Michael Gove et al there wouldn't be any supplying, meaning people wouldn't have to carry weapons, meaning people wouldn't have to murder.....you get the idea

Well that's another matter entirely, but for what it's worth I'm certainly no fan of the blasé attitude a lot of white people (even well educated middle/upper class people who really ought to know better) seem to exhibit towards recreational drug use, especially drugs which do have a long shadow of bloodshed and violence behind them such as cocaine.

I just wanted to point out that there are other reasons besides "it's racism" for disparities between different demographics, as shocking as that may be to some people. I don't believe for one second there is some cabal of institutional 'white supremacists' within the government and criminal justice system conspiring to put as many black people in prison as possible ('white supremacists' who for some reason don't seem interested in targeting other non-whites such as Indians or East Asians, both of whom have lower arrest and incarceration rates than whites), it makes no sense. From a practical, utilitarian viewpoint it makes even less sense. It costs a hell of a lot of money to put somebody in prison, even just for a short time, it's a net negative on the public purse, why on Earth would any sane government go out of it's way to erroneously put people in prison thus costing the taxpayer more money?

Those figures are just the tip of the iceberg, there are probably more white people who take drugs.

If posh white kids weren't taking cocaine, there would be no drug supply networks because the demand would not exist. And I know for a fact that lots of white kids - rich or not - are involved in drug dealing etc, I just know that they are far less likely to get profiled than black people.

Regardless of whether they were UK citizens or not, most of these people had lived in Britain for most of their lives. These people are not just recent arrivals causing trouble. They have served their time in prison. What's to stop them from just coming back illegally when they've deported them?

That is such an outdated stereotype, cocaine like cannabis is a drug that is used at every level of society. From your rich clubs to your local town boozer, cocaine is everywhere.

There is always demand for cocaine regardless of "posh white kids".

If you have lived in Britain most of your life then you can apply for citizenship through naturalisation. If you have failed to do that then you only have yourself to blame. They can certainly try to come back illegally but we do have a Border Force who are more than happy to deport them again.
That is such an outdated stereotype, cocaine like cannabis is a drug that is used at every level of society. From your rich clubs to your local town boozer, cocaine is everywhere.

There is always demand for cocaine regardless of "posh white kids".

If you have lived in Britain most of your life then you can apply for citizenship through naturalisation. If you have failed to do that then you only have yourself to blame. They can certainly try to come back illegally but we do have a Border Force who are more than happy to deport them again.

It is starting to be used outside of the middle class, but most things start off in the middle class and then stream down into other sections of society.
It is starting to be used outside of the middle class, but most things start off in the middle class and then stream down into other sections of society.

You have no idea.

I'm not trying to pile on, but it's a seriously dated view, it's not starting to be used, it's very well established. It's honestly a stereotype that holds no truth or relevance any more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending