The Student Room Group

Worst Modern Trend

There are many abhorrent trends out there, stuff that truly cements just how social-media is cluttering up and virulently infecting our lives. Everything from "selfie" to the floss dance, to the advent of some truly shocking fads like Neknominations and the "Don't Judge Me" challenge. What trends do you find absolutely disgusting and rancid?
I don't see anything wrong with the floss dance. Every time in history has dance-trends.. there isn't anything immoral or bad about them, they just come along and then get replaced by the next thing.

But for me - and I could list many, but i'll stick with online trends - one personal one that I think will blow up over the next few centuries, is the trend of parents to blog/post their childs life on social media, before that Child is old enough to consent. There have already been law-suits and cases where the first few children who are now teens, have started to kickback against their parents for posting their entire lives online, who now wish it all to be deleted.

I think most people who are 16+ can't imagine what it would be like if all of their private childhood, embarassing storries, personal events etc. were made public. We take for granted that most of our lives before we go on social media as teens are private, but that just isn't the case for many any more. These days by the time you start your online life as a teenager, there is already a wealth of photos of you growing up, baby pics, and all sorts that you have to contend with.

I think eventually this will be a minor human-rights case where its debated whether parents have the right to publicly share their childs photos, and sign over the rights to thousands of images of their child growing up to facebook and instagram. I certainly don't think its healthy in the long-term for a child to have their lives made public, and I think more and more will start requesting that they have control over the content that was posted about them when they were a child.
Original post by fallen_acorns
I don't see anything wrong with the floss dance. Every time in history has dance-trends.. there isn't anything immoral or bad about them, they just come along and then get replaced by the next thing.

But for me - and I could list many, but i'll stick with online trends - one personal one that I think will blow up over the next few centuries, is the trend of parents to blog/post their childs life on social media, before that Child is old enough to consent. There have already been law-suits and cases where the first few children who are now teens, have started to kickback against their parents for posting their entire lives online, who now wish it all to be deleted.

I think most people who are 16+ can't imagine what it would be like if all of their private childhood, embarassing storries, personal events etc. were made public. We take for granted that most of our lives before we go on social media as teens are private, but that just isn't the case for many any more. These days by the time you start your online life as a teenager, there is already a wealth of photos of you growing up, baby pics, and all sorts that you have to contend with.

I think eventually this will be a minor human-rights case where its debated whether parents have the right to publicly share their childs photos, and sign over the rights to thousands of images of their child growing up to facebook and instagram. I certainly don't think its healthy in the long-term for a child to have their lives made public, and I think more and more will start requesting that they have control over the content that was posted about them when they were a child.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the floss dance, but to me it's indicative of this diseased culture we live in. Maybe there's just something wrong with me because I was born in the early 90s and grew up in the 00s and those times were always fresh and appealing to me and that magic has been lost gradually over the past decade.

I think a crap culture leads to crap parenting decisions and posting a child's life for social media to eat up is just grotesque really. I get that parents are probably very proud and fond of their children and their actions come from an honest to goodness place, but at the same time it's incredibly selfish as well-just because your mummy or daddy loves posting obsessively on social media doesn't mean the child will feel the same way. If I was a young'un and my parents flaunted me on social media- it wouldn't embarrass me much, I mean I had to sing The Children Are The Future in front of my Infants school, so I don't think I can be embarrassed any further than that.

Urgh yes I completely understand what you mean, a child should not have to grow up with embarrassment because their parents were constantly making their lives a social media presence. That's the danger with social media now, many parents will liberally take photos and videos of their children and spread it across social media and it becomes like a mental form of child abuse when you consider that there's likely no consent or willingness from the child to be exploited in this fashion. However, I personally wouldn't want to go through legal proceedings either because I believe that parents make these decisions in a loving way, but it depends on the individual situation. Social media and the internet are dangerous places and the black hole keeps widening for the unfortunate souls to get sucked into its misery-but hey it's the ballet of life now you either survive and thrive or perish and diminish.
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
There's nothing inherently wrong with the floss dance, but to me it's indicative of this diseased culture we live in. Maybe there's just something wrong with me because I was born in the early 90s and grew up in the 00s and those times were always fresh and appealing to me and that magic has been lost gradually over the past decade.

That's just called getting older
People taking pictures of their food in restaurants.

Eat it or **** off.
Original post by Ragman75
That's just called getting older

Not really, some people feel in the moments no matter their age, it's just personally I don't feel part of this decade or the last decade.
Reply 6
Wearing clear glasses? Like what's the point and why mock people who wear glasses?
Peoples inability to walk away from their device and social media in its various forms when it has reached a point that it's actually harmful to them.
When they are being bullied etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending