The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

uk benefit is too generous

I know too many who exploit the system. no working is easy and make more money. lol. not complaining money in my pocket

Scroll to see replies

It's not generous they bumped it up for the pandemic and its not permanent It'll soon go back to how it use to be which was £612 or so per month including the housing element. I've been on UC while having a part time job and its not generous its awful.
Original post by Chlopril
It's not generous they bumped it up for the pandemic and its not permanent It'll soon go back to how it use to be which was £612 or so per month including the housing element. I've been on UC while having a part time job and its not generous its awful.

compared to most countries it's very good
Reply 3
Original post by Igotbbcalevel
compared to most countries it's very good

Indeed it probably is better than most countries, given most countries don't have a social safety net of any description though thats a rather stupid thing to say..
And you cant compare to other countries because of different costs of living.
Yeah its generous compared to various Eastern European, Asian and African nations. But for the UK its not a lot especially when average rent for renting a room is somewhere around the 400pcm mark.
Which unemployment benefit are you referring to? :confused:
Universal credit, jsa, esa or something else?
Original post by Igotbbcalevel
I know too many who exploit the system. no working is easy and make more money. lol. not complaining money in my pocket

There are many who exploit the system ... but for every one that exploits it, there are hundreds more who appreciate it for the valuable lifeline that it is.
benefits cap is equivalent to a 43k salary job that shows how generous welfare is! Who earns that, its way above average? Given 3 million UK households are permanently jobless as per ONS stats that shows the system is far too generous and needs to be scrapped once and for all
Original post by Chlopril
And you cant compare to other countries because of different costs of living.
Yeah its generous compared to various Eastern European, Asian and African nations. But for the UK its not a lot especially when average rent for renting a room is somewhere around the 400pcm mark.

It depends where you live too- £400pcm will get you a 2 bedroom house in a lot of places outside London.
I think it’s at the right level although I don’t know much about it. I do know that some people use food banks which is not necessarily a bad thing as it means it’s less likely people will see it (benefits) as a lifestyle and stay on it. But we also hear about some people that say on benefits all their lives ( mainly chavs).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Mustafa0605
I think it’s at the right level although I don’t know much about it. I do know that some people use food banks which is not necessarily a bad thing as it means it’s less likely people will see it (benefits) as a lifestyle and stay on it. But we also hear about some people that say on benefits all their lives ( mainly chavs).

ha but when people are pitching up to food banks while texting there mates on there brand new iphones you can tell the system is a joke and people have got clueless priorities. Welfare is incredibly generous in this country that is why there are 3 million unemployed households as per ONS stats and that figure is increasing year on year. The welfare crowd are smart when they can spend other peoples cash on sky, netflix and iphone knowing there is a food bank to feed them they know exactly how to scam the system
Original post by monkeybest
ha but when people are pitching up to food banks while texting there mates on there brand new iphones you can tell the system is a joke and people have got clueless priorities. Welfare is incredibly generous in this country that is why there are 3 million unemployed households as per ONS stats and that figure is increasing year on year. The welfare crowd are smart when they can spend other peoples cash on sky, netflix and iphone knowing there is a food bank to feed them they know exactly how to scam the system

Do you not think you're somewhat narrow mindedly pigeonholing everyone on benefits?

You've fallen into the right wing media trap of thinking the poorest and most vulnerable in our society are the ones who are to blame for our problems. Whether you like it or not, its a distraction tactic from the real issue. As a country we seem to be very happy to ignore with tax avoiders who stash their cash in offshore account. Its legal but morally wrong. If your okay with that happening then you should be okay with those on benefits supposedly spending money on netfilix and iphones. Its legal but morally wrong.

You might argue that the tax avoiders should be able to take their money to offshore accounts because its 'their money'. But I would question this logic. Does Richard Branson really work for all the money that he receives. Who are the real wealth creators? When you fly with Virgin Atlantic, is it Branson who flys the plane and serves you the food? When you want to book a holiday, is it Branson that tells you about all the places you go? When you need a new virgin media phone contract, is it Branson who you talk to or a random guy in a call centre?

As for this fantasy scenario you've created in your head where people on benefits are living a life of luxury. It could be further from the truth. For a single claimant over 25, universal credit is £4918.68. Just for a bit of context, the average UK salary is £35k, full time and £12k part time. So this idea that people on benefits are living a life of luxury, is complete nonsense.

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but i've got a feeling that you have absolutely NO IDEA what your talking about. You have either heard or read some right wing rubbish about how we need to go after the 'benefits scroungers' and your just blurting it out on here.
Original post by Keir Starmer
You've fallen into the right wing media trap of thinking the poorest and most vulnerable in our society are the ones who are to blame for our problems. Whether you like it or not, its a distraction tactic from the real issue. As a country we seem to be very happy to ignore with tax avoiders who stash their cash in offshore account. Its legal but morally wrong. If your okay with that happening then you should be okay with those on benefits supposedly spending money on netfilix and iphones. Its legal but morally wrong.

You might argue that the tax avoiders should be able to take their money to offshore accounts because its 'their money'. But I would question this logic. Does Richard Branson really work for all the money that he receives. Who are the real wealth creators? When you fly with Virgin Atlantic, is it Branson who flys the plane and serves you the food? When you want to book a holiday, is it Branson that tells you about all the places you go? When you need a new virgin media phone contract, is it Branson who you talk to or a random guy in a call centre?

As for this fantasy scenario you've created in your head where people on benefits are living a life of luxury. It could be further from the truth. For a single claimant over 25, universal credit is £4918.68. Just for a bit of context, the average UK salary is £35k, full time and £12k part time. So this idea that people on benefits are living a life of luxury, is complete nonsense.

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but i've got a feeling that you have absolutely NO IDEA what your talking about. You have either heard or read some right wing rubbish about how we need to go after the 'benefits scroungers' and your just blurting it out on here.

come on keir you moaned when the benefits cap of 26k was brought in saying it wasnt high enough now you saying a single person get 5k which is it? A 26k handout equates to a job paying 45k pre-tax insane right you can get that much of other peoples cash with impunity. Why are these lazy people choosing welfare over such a well paid job as per your figures that a migrant worker is picking up? On benefits the income is tax free, NI free, zero rent, zero council tax, tax credits even though they pay no tax (how does that work) thrown in plus this grant that grant, subsidized transport thats why your income figures are nonsense and why millions CHOOSE a life of welfare over work in this country and that ethos is handed down from generation to generation.

Why are you perpetuating this myth that the 3 million long term workless households as per ONS stats are vulnerable? https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/workingandworklesshouseholds/apriltojune2019 They laugh at deluded folk like you thinking that while they sip away at the taxpayer funded stella while watching the taxpayer funded sky etc etc Get the drift. Its the fools that work funding that lifestyle that are the vulnerable ones thats for sure!
(edited 3 years ago)

What a load of rubbish please go and visit a food bank and talk to people getting food to feed their family.
For my own selfish sake, I wish. But then I think about how much I do not want to live off the system regardless lol
There's a lot of dodgy statistics going on here, the ONS report shows a decline in the number of workless households, contrary to what was stated. On top of that, this decline is part of a trend as far back as the chart shows (1996) with the exception of the time around the financial crash of 2008.

Also the proportion of people in workless homes goes down from ~15% to under 10% when you specify those of working age. This brings forth that many of the almost 3 million workless homes are because residents are retired or may not be working for other reasons: long-term illness, being in full-time education, even parental leave among many other perfectly valid reasons for not having a job.

All this leads to a gross misrepresentation of the truth around unemployment, there are not even 3 million people officially unemployed in the UK. Never mind 3 million households.
Original post by Possibly this
There's a lot of dodgy statistics going on here, the ONS report shows a decline in the number of workless households, contrary to what was stated. On top of that, this decline is part of a trend as far back as the chart shows (1996) with the exception of the time around the financial crash of 2008.

Also the proportion of people in workless homes goes down from ~15% to under 10% when you specify those of working age. This brings forth that many of the almost 3 million workless homes are because residents are retired or may not be working for other reasons: long-term illness, being in full-time education, even parental leave among many other perfectly valid reasons for not having a job.

All this leads to a gross misrepresentation of the truth around unemployment, there are not even 3 million people officially unemployed in the UK. Never mind 3 million households.

Given we have imported record levels of migrant labour that should never be happening when we have millions of idle Brits smoking, making tik tok videos and binge watching netflix all day instead. It doesnt take skill to clean a hotel room or work in a packing factory. Just takes work ethic and lack of an easier option namely welfare.
Again a benefits cap of 26k all tax free just shows how generous it was in the first place.

Again can you blame the individual? When you can claim other peoples cash with impunity and have enough to go on with holiday with it etc why bother working? When they see what a good gig it is they hand down this ethos from generation to generation. There should be more of an incentive to work than just pride alone but thats what it has come down to here! Diabolical Boris...
Original post by looloo2134
What a load of rubbish please go and visit a food bank and talk to people getting food to feed their family.

then why do they all pitch up to these handouts having the latest iphones and one tv report last week showed a nearly new mercedez driving to the place to get free food...it all boils down to one thing PRIORITIES! If you know that free food is available why bother using your welfare money to pay for it when you can use that to pay for alcohol, netflix, sky and nice cars.

Am sure the welfare crowd will be demanding food banks stock beer and tobacco next. If you cant afford kids dont have em and if you cant be bothered to work dont expect others to fund your lazy existence
then why do they all pitch up to these handouts having the latest iphones and one tv report last week showed a nearly new mercedez driving to the place to get free food...it all boils down to one thing PRIORITIES! If you know that free food is available why bother using your welfare money to pay for it when you can use that to pay for alcohol, netflix, sky and nice cars.

Am sure the welfare crowd will be demanding food banks stock beer and tobacco next. If you cant afford kids dont have em and if you cant be bothered to work dont expect others to fund your lazy existence

The sky is free :confused:
Oh god they’re not selling the sky now 😰
Lol nvm my humour is not always taken as such 😂😂

Latest

Trending

Trending