The Student Room Group

Second lockdown ?

Do you guys think there will be a second lockdown ?

Scroll to see replies

hiii
Reply 2
Yes. It may not be a nationwide lockdown but the majority of local areas will probably slip into a second lockdown like Aberdeen and Greater Manchester.
Not really sure. If the Conservative and Unionist party can get another five years in office then I think so.
probably just local lockdowns rather than entire nation
Reply 5
Cases are rising slowly in my area so a local lockdown for me is a possibility.
Original post by princessxo10
Do you guys think there will be a second lockdown ?

I hope not, because I think things have started to get back to normal slowly. However if there was to be a lockdown I don't think many people will follow it.
Restrictions in local areas and perhaps some travel limits, but no general set of restrictions. We never had a first lockdown- look at what Italians and Spanish people could not do, even leave the house for three weeks or so.
There will be local lockdowns but the economy can't afford another national lockdown.
Reply 9
Will only be localized lockdowns. The economy is already in pieces. Country can't afford another national one.
Original post by DiddyDec
There will be local lockdowns but the economy can't afford another national lockdown.

Then we better buckle up because I suspect we'll end up with one. Not a formally introduced one, but most areas being under local lockdown to the point that it may as well be a full-on lockdown again.

Makes me wonder what the Gov would do in that situation tbh. Would they start furlough back up again?

Either way, I'd say watch this space. If you weren't a key worker and were placed on furlough, these last few months and early few months of this year and next year could be crucial. If local lockdowns come in to the point that they effectively become a national lockdown and there's no furlough scheme running where businesses aren't contributing, I suspect we'll see many more jobs down the drain on top of what we've been losing over the last few months.
Original post by TheMcSame
Then we better buckle up because I suspect we'll end up with one. Not a formally introduced one, but most areas being under local lockdown to the point that it may as well be a full-on lockdown again.

Makes me wonder what the Gov would do in that situation tbh. Would they start furlough back up again?

Either way, I'd say watch this space. If you weren't a key worker and were placed on furlough, these last few months and early few months of this year and next year could be crucial. If local lockdowns come in to the point that they effectively become a national lockdown and there's no furlough scheme running where businesses aren't contributing, I suspect we'll see many more jobs down the drain on top of what we've been losing over the last few months.

They would have to start local furlough.
There won't be another full lockdown
lol we aren't even at the peak of winter and gov already ******** itself about having to impose more lockdowns, roll on dec / jan

that magical time of the year
Original post by tashkent46
lol we aren't even at the peak of winter and gov already ******** itself about having to impose more lockdowns, roll on dec / jan

that magical time of the year

They won't put a full lockdown on because they cannot afford to furlough people
With 9 million people in London, around the same as Switzerland/Austria's population, surely they would have to do it by borough, i cant imagine the chaos lol
Original post by Rocket girl

they won't be able to afford not to if deaths reach more than last time, which they likely will based on the blundering incompetence of the head in the sand tory ministry, the choice is lockdown (mass job loss) or mass deaths (rioting probably)

or the tory government could have spent the last few months preparing for winter and not running out of tests before winter has even began properly?
Original post by Rocket girl

Idk...

If it comes to a point where hospitals start sh*tting themselves again, they will do.

Though quite frankly, if we're freaking out about 3K new infections a day (keeping in mind how much more testing we're doing compared to April where we were hitting 3k), I fully suspect they'll freak if it goes up a few more thousand. In which case... RIP the first half of 2021.

If projections from IHME are anything to go by based on current projections, we'll be locking down again come November when ICU capacity struggles again. Though interestingly their projection on mobility changes is projected to go up until about November, further dropping at the start of December before dropping down to lockdown levels of mobility mid-December (I take that to mean they predict another lockdown based on current conditions)
(edited 3 years ago)
Very much doubt it, unless local lockdowns are introduced to the point where it's practically national.
To reduce school disruption, the national lockdown will most likely happen a week before half-term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending