The Student Room Group

Kinetic energy question

Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding why the answer to the following question is D.

Is the kinetic energy not proportional to the mass of the object, so should it not be 4E/238 as the mass of the alpha particle is 4?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
is this an a level q?

KE is proproational to the mass
mass of Th is 234, and mass of alpha particle is 4
so ratio is 234:4 = 238 of E
so 4 = 234/238 of E
so thereofre the answer is D?????

is that even correct lmao sorry if this got u the wrong answer ahah im onlyin year 12 and we haven't even done this in a level phsyics yet :smile:

lmk if D is acc the right answer :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by vix.xvi
is this an a level q?

KE is proproational to the mass
mass of Th is 234, and mass of alpha particle is 4
so ratio is 234:4 = 238 of E
so 4 = 234/238 of E
so thereofre the answer is D?????

is that even correct lmao sorry if this got u the wrong answer ahah im onlyin year 12 and we haven't even done this in a level phsyics yet :smile:

lmk if D is acc the right answer :smile:

I'm a bit confused on the bit "so 4 = 234/238 of E" why is it 234/238? is the proportion of kinetic energy shared not 4/238 since the mass is 4?
Original post by Navboi
I'm a bit confused on the bit "so 4 = 234/238 of E" why is it 234/238? is the proportion of kinetic energy shared not 4/238 since the mass is 4?

yeah that's the PROPORPTION
so to write it as a fraction that's 4/238

eg if u have a ratio of x:y, x is x/(x+y)
make sense?

btw is my answer acc correct lol it may be wrong
Reply 4
Original post by vix.xvi
yeah that's the PROPORPTION
so to write it as a fraction that's 4/238

eg if u have a ratio of x:y, x is x/(x+y)
make sense?

btw is my answer acc correct lol it may be wrong

yes I understand this, but you used 234/238 instead of 4/238 which is the thing that has me confused. But don't worry about it, I'm sure someone else can explain it since you have not covered this in class.
Original post by Navboi
yes I understand this, but you used 234/238 instead of 4/238 which is the thing that has me confused. But don't worry about it, I'm sure someone else can explain it since you have not covered this in class.

ohh i get what ur trying to say, idk myself why its not 4/238 if i think about it...
sorry about that

Quick Reply

Latest