The Student Room Group

A level nuclear question (2)

Hey I was doing this question where it gave me the total power released by a radioactive fuel that decays through Alpha decay and I know It’s Activity. It asks for me to find the Calculate the maximum kinetic energy of each alpha particle Assume the power released by the RTGs’ fuel originated as the kinetic energy of the alpha particles emitted due to the decay of Pu.

The mark scheme says:
recognition that activity × energy of one alpha = power

Can someone explain why that equation is true ?
Reply 1
Activity is decays per second, and energy of one alpha is energy per decay, so activity their product gives energy per second. I hope that helps
Reply 2
Original post by robobeo
Activity is decays per second, and energy of one alpha is energy per decay, so activity their product gives energy per second. I hope that helps

Omg thank you !! Just a quick question why is the energy of one alpha energy per decay?
Reply 3
Each decay releases one alpha particle, so the energy kinetic energy of that alpha particle is the energy released in each decay. (The question says "the power released by the RTGs’ fuel originated as the kinetic energy of the alpha particles emitted")
Reply 4
Original post by robobeo
Each decay releases one alpha particle, so the energy kinetic energy of that alpha particle is the energy released in each decay. (The question says "the power released by the RTGs’ fuel originated as the kinetic energy of the alpha particles emitted")

Thank you so much !!! I finally get it now

Quick Reply

Latest