The Student Room Group

biodiveristy

Which of the following is the correct definition for the term 'biodiversity'? -

The variety of different habitats in an ecosystem

The variety of different species in an ecosystem

The variety of different communities in an ecosystem

The variety of different niches in an ecosystem
Im not sure which of the ones it could be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by noodlestopshop
Which of the following is the correct definition for the term 'biodiversity'? -

The variety of different habitats in an ecosystem

The variety of different communities in an ecosystem

The variety of different niches in an ecosystem
Im not sure which of the ones it could be?

It is the variety of different species in an ecosystem as biodiversity looks at the different living organisms present in an area
Original post by MahnoorN
It is the variety of different species in an ecosystem as biodiversity looks at the different living organisms present in an area

Thankyou, is there any chance if you know if this is correct? w.PNG
Reply 4
Thankyou, is there any chance if you know if this is correct? w.PNG

Question 1 is right. Question 2's step 3 is wrong as it is asking what are you placing alongside the tape measure at the randomly generated coordinates so it would be the quadrat. Step 7 is also wrong as you are looking at the total population in the location within the ecosystem. Other than that, everything is right.
Question 1 is right. Question 2's step 3 is wrong as it is asking what are you placing alongside the tape measure at the randomly generated coordinates so it would be the quadrat. Step 7 is also wrong as you are looking at the total population in the location within the ecosystem. Other than that, everything is right.

Thankyou so much! :smile:
Reply 6
Thankyou so much! :smile:

your welcome:h:
Sorry for so many questions, is anyone able to help with this one?
C.PNG I have this table
Then have to answer the following questions'
"Using data from Table 1 above, calculate the mean number of dandelions per m2 in location A" = 3
"Using data from Table 1 above, calculate the mean number of dandelions per m2 in location B (give your answer to 1 decimal place)." =9.2
"What should Dakota conclude from her investigation into the population of dandelions in location A and location B?

The population of dandelions was lower in Location B

The population of dandelions was the same in location A and B

The population of dandelions was lower in Location A < I chose this answer"

"How could Dakota improve her investigation?

Decrease the number of quadrats so that the result is more representative

Decrease the number of quadrats so that the result is less biased

Increase the number of quadrats so that the result is less biased

Increase the number of quadrats so that the result is more representative"
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
C.PNG I have this table
"Using data from Table 1 above, calculate the mean number of dandelions per m2 in location A"
"Using data from Table 1 above, calculate the mean number of dandelions per m2 in location B (give your answer to 1 decimal place)."
"What should Dakota conclude from her investigation into the population of dandelions in location A and location B?

In order to work out the mean number for each location, you add up the numbers that are in the column for the location and then divide it by the number of quadrats (5). You do this for each individual location and using the calculated means, you would choose the concluding statement. Let me know what you got for the mean numbers so I can check whether you got the correct answer and help you on choosing the concluding statement
Reply 9
C.PNG I have this table
"Using data from Table 1 above, calculate the mean number of dandelions per m2 in location A"
"Using data from Table 1 above, calculate the mean number of dandelions per m2 in location B (give your answer to 1 decimal place)."

For improving the investigation you look at the effect of changing the number of quadrats.
By decreasing the number of quadrats, you will have a smaller set of data, there will be a higher chance of anomaly affecting the mean number, so it will be less representative and has a higher possibility of researcher bias.
By increasing the number of quadrats, you will have a larger set of data, so there is a lower chance of the anomaly/outlier affecting the mean number, making it more representative and has a lower possibility of researcher bias.
Using the information I provided, which statement do you think is most suitable on how to improve the investigation
For improving the investigation you look at the effect of changing the number of quadrats.
By decreasing the number of quadrats, you will have a smaller set of data, there will be a higher chance of anomaly affecting the mean number, so it will be less representative and has a higher possibility of researcher bias.
By increasing the number of quadrats, you will have a larger set of data, so there is a lower chance of the anomaly/outlier affecting the mean number, making it more representative and has a lower possibility of researcher bias.
Using the information I provided, which statement do you think is most suitable on how to improve the investigation

Thank you, I just edited my post to add some answers, are they ok?
Reply 11

Yep all your answers are correct
Reply 12

I hope you understood all the explanations well. If you still don’t understand something don’t hesitate to ask. Also well done:banana:
I hope you understood all the explanations well. If you still don’t understand something don’t hesitate to ask. Also well done:banana:

Thankyou! I have questions which are similar but I'm not sure of the math
The questions are
"A 1200 m2 field was randomly sampled for buttercups using a quadrat with an area of 1 m2. A mean of 3 buttercups were found per quadrat. Estimate the total population of buttercups in the field."
"A 1500 m2 beach was randomly sampled for sea kale using a quadrat with an area of 0.5 m2. A mean of 1.2 sea kale were found per quadrat. Estimate the total population of sea kale on the beach."
"A 1000 m2 woodland was randomly sampled for anemones using a quadrat with an area of 0.25 m2. A mean of 3.4 anemones were found per quadrat. Estimate the total population of anemones in the woodland."
Is there any chance you could tell me what the math equation I would have to do?
Reply 14
The questions are
"A 1200 m2 field was randomly sampled for buttercups using a quadrat with an area of 1 m2. A mean of 3 buttercups were found per quadrat. Estimate the total population of buttercups in the field."
"A 1500 m2 beach was randomly sampled for sea kale using a quadrat with an area of 0.5 m2. A mean of 1.2 sea kale were found per quadrat. Estimate the total population of sea kale on the beach."
"A 1000 m2 woodland was randomly sampled for anemones using a quadrat with an area of 0.25 m2. A mean of 3.4 anemones were found per quadrat. Estimate the total population of anemones in the woodland."
Is there any chance you could tell me what the math equation I would have to do?

In order to work out population, you use a formula to calculate it. The formula is:
Population size = Number of organisms found in sample x (total area/sample area)
The number of organisms found is the sample is the number of organisms counted in one quadrat (this is usually a mean number). The sample area is the area which the quadrat covers and the total area is the whole area from which the samples are being taken from. Remember to check that the sample area and the total area have the same units.
Reply 15
The questions are

Let me know what answers you got:smile:
In order to work out population, you use a formula to calculate it. The formula is:
Population size = Number of organisms found in sample x (total area/sample area)
The number of organisms found is the sample is the number of organisms counted in one quadrat (this is usually a mean number). The sample area is the area which the quadrat covers and the total area is the whole area from which the samples are being taken from. Remember to check that the sample area and the total area have the same units.

For the "A 1200 m2 field was randomly sampled for buttercups using a quadrat with an area of 1 m2. A mean of 3 buttercups were found per quadrat. Estimate the total population of buttercups in the field."
I did 3x1200=3600, am I following the steps incorrectly?
Reply 17
For the "A 1200 m2 field was randomly sampled for buttercups using a quadrat with an area of 1 m2. A mean of 3 buttercups were found per quadrat. Estimate the total population of buttercups in the field."
I did 3x1200=3600, am I following the steps incorrectly?

Don’t worry, you followed it correctly and it’s right:congrats:
Don’t worry, you followed it correctly and it’s right:congrats:

Yay:biggrin:
for the
A 1500 m2 beach was randomly sampled for sea kale using a quadrat with an area of 0.5 m2. A mean of 1.2 sea kale was found per quadrat. Estimate the total population of sea kale on the beach.
I did 1.2x1500=1800
But since it says estimate doesnt that mean I need to round the 1.2 to 1 and do 1x1500=1500 ?

and then for the
A 1000 m2 woodland was randomly sampled for anemones using a quadrat with an area of 0.25 m2. A mean of 3.4 anemones were found per quadrat. Estimate the total population of anemones in the woodland.
I did 3.4x1000=3400
but yet again am I meant to round the 3.4 down so that it = 300?
Reply 19
Yay:biggrin:
for the
A 1500 m2 beach was randomly sampled for sea kale using a quadrat with an area of 0.5 m2. A mean of 1.2 sea kale was found per quadrat. Estimate the total population of sea kale on the beach.
I did 1.2x1500=1800
But since it says estimate doesnt that mean I need to round the 1.2 to 1 and do 1x1500=1500 ?

and then for the
A 1000 m2 woodland was randomly sampled for anemones using a quadrat with an area of 0.25 m2. A mean of 3.4 anemones were found per quadrat. Estimate the total population of anemones in the woodland.
I did 3.4x1000=3400
but yet again am I meant to round the 3.4 down so that it = 300?

When you use the formula to work out the population, it's a way to estimate the approximate population size in the area. As it's an estimated figure, there is no need to round it unless the question states you to round it.

You made a minor mistake but I think it may be my fault as I was not clear with the '/' in the formula
Population size = Number of organisms found in sample x (total area divided by the sample area)
For the previous question which you got correct, the sample area was 1 so it did not affect the value.
However for these questions, the sample area is no longer 1 so it affects the population size
e.g. for the sea kale question it would be 1.2 x (1500 divided by 0.5)
If you still don't understand please do let me know and let me know how you got on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending