The Student Room Group

Would you have any doubts about a female pilot?

If so why would you?

People doubt her 😄

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-61512811

It’s interesting as I’m wondering if it is her actual sex that is putting people off or because she gives off the ‘feminine’ vibe. For example if she looked more tomboyish and physically fit would you be more inclined to trust?

Or maybe it’s her age?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nah coz u never actually see the Pilot
Reply 2
Been flown by a bunch of women pilots and never cared
No, because they're qualified.
No. She has the same qualifications as a man doing the same job.
I was on a plane once that was flown by a female. Didn't actually know about it until the journey came to an end. And yes the flight was perfectly fine. So no I would have no doubts about it.
Why would I? If you're experienced, irrespective of gender, nothing else matters.
are you asking because you need personal advice?

disappointed with the article as it only gave one example of some perceived discrimination and was indeed quite vague :frown:

what do i care about the age and gender of who's driving the plane. anyway, could be wrong but isn't most of the ride on autopilot?
I do get a bit nervous when I hear a woman's voice over the tannoy. Getting served a drink by a woman on a plane is one thing, but one flying your plane is another. She could be on her period or busy texting and crash the plane.
Reply 9
Original post by KageMaru
I do get a bit nervous when I hear a woman's voice over the tannoy. Getting served a drink by a woman on a plane is one thing, but one flying your plane is another. She could be on her period or busy texting and crash the plane.

Yet it’s women who have the reputation of being good at multitasking
Original post by Redfrost
It’s interesting as I’m wondering if it is her actual sex that is putting people off or because she gives off the ‘feminine’ vibe. For example if she looked more tomboyish and physically fit would you be more inclined to trust?

Maybe it is that some people are just plain sexist!
Yet it’s women who have the reputation of being good at multitasking

Which ironically is not something encouraged by the airline industry because when pilots end up having to multi-task, they make mistakes and lives tend to be lost.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MentourPilotaviation
If so why would you?

People doubt her 😄

Or maybe it’s her age?

Nope women are equal to men 🙂✊🏽
If so why would you?

People doubt her 😄

Or maybe it’s her age?

I don't think it's so much an issue of sex itself. In this day and age we all know that even in highly male dominated areas, there are women breaking stereotypes and performing just as well as men in those areas. I'm not at all surprised by the fact that many perfectly capable pilots are female.

Having said that, I must admit I was surprised by the person I saw when I clicked on the article. When I hear "female pilot", the stereotype that comes to mind is of someone less feminine looking than this particular pilot e.g. perhaps with a shorter haircut, not wearing makeup, or less feminine clothes. This is because I'm used to seeing people who challenge traditional gender stereotypes doing so in more ways than one. Also given that a pilot is someone you'd hope to have plenty of experience behind them, I was also surprised by her age.

That doesn't mean I'd have doubts about her flying a plane though; if she's qualified then she's qualified.
Reply 14
Original post by hotpud
Which ironically is not something encouraged by the airline industry because when pilots end up having to multi-task, they make mistakes and lives tend to be lost.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MentourPilotaviation

No but it’s reassuring to know that someone had the capability to multitask as opposed to slow processing speed in the event of difficulty/an emergency etc

Im not talking about deliberately multitasking by going on your phone, I’m talking about having the capacity to manage more than one thing if need be. Or even just being able to cognitively consider more than one thing
(edited 1 year ago)
Im not talking about deliberately multitasking by going on your phone, I’m talking about having the capacity to manage more than one thing if need be. Or even just being able to cognitively consider more than one thing

Isn't that most reasonably intelligent people then? We hold up this idea of multi-tasking but in reality, most people can multi-task to a point e.g. driving whilst chatting to passenger about something that happened in the past. Most people are pretty terrible at process multi-tasking e.g. doing two things that require intense focus. In fact I would say pretty much all people can't do that sort of multi-tasking effectively.
Original post by Genesiss
are you asking because you need personal advice?

disappointed with the article as it only gave one example of some perceived discrimination and was indeed quite vague :frown:

what do i care about the age and gender of who's driving the plane. anyway, could be wrong but isn't most of the ride on autopilot?

That's the way it is now.

It's rare to come across a professional woman who doesn't have a narrative around persecution and victimhood - irrespective of whether it is true or not. It's become a trope.

Take this interview in the FT from an extremely privileged lady who went to the finest intstituions (inc. Harvard Law School) and became a barrister/lawyer - Natasha Harrison.
Reply 17
i imagine peoples issue is more that she looks like a teenager as opposed to whats between her legs but who can say.
Thinking specifically of risk from a depressed or angry pilot too, I'd trust a female pilot more. Women haven't done school shootings, for example- they've got more history of not hurting lots of people. (Margaret Thatcher haters may feel differently 😉)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Picnicl
Thinking specifically of risk from a depressed or angry pilot too, I'd trust a female pilot more. Women haven't done school shootings, for example- they've got more history of not hurting lots of people. (Margaret Thatcher haters may feel differently 😉)

I mean, maybe not mass shootings, but an NHS nurse murdered 8 babies and tried to kill another 10. That's full on child serial killing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending