The Student Room Group

The 'white person does x so all whites should apologise' fallacy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
I love this gif hahah

:tongue:
Original post by Borgia
Erm... well if you are happily supportive of an ideology that supports rape of capture slaves, then I would suggest you are complicit in such actions.

"Not all Nazis are bad, only the ones that actually act on their ideology."

So now you're comparing islam to nazism?
I'm not even muslim
Reply 22
I'm not even muslim

No I was using Nazism just to show how ridiculous that statement was.
I'm not even muslim

Tbf
I would say they are quite similar in their view of Jews.

:mmm:
Original post by Borgia
No I was using Nazism just to show how ridiculous that statement was.

If you're going to ask muslims to apologise for every bad thing that happens in the name of their religion then I think it's only fair white people should apologise for people like Anders breivik
Original post by Xenorebrem
Tbf
I would say they are quite similar in their view of Jews.

:mmm:

I'm sure the Jews feel the same about arabs and Muslims in general,I'm an arab so I would know
Reply 26
Original post by lucaf
Except they don't really share an ideology, they have a related one. Or should all Christians apologise for Josef Kony, or the Westboro Baptist Church? I mean they are all Christians right?

Just because they are Muslim doesn't mean they agree with the terrorists, and if they don't agree why should they have to apologize? Hell, most victims of Islamists are Muslims of other denominations, should Shia's being persecuted by Islamic State apologize on behalf of the people killing them?

If the actions of Kony and the WBC are justified in the Bible, then yes. If not then no.

Like the WBC, the Islamic state is a bit of a red herring. There is much about both groups that is genuinely un-Islamic/Christian (such as killing Shia and burning american flags). However take that away you are still left with something pretty horrible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
If you're going to ask muslims to apologise for every bad thing that happens in the name of their religion then I think it's only fair white people should apologise for people like Anders breivik

I never said 'in the name of'. There is a crucial difference between 'in the name of' and 'justified by'. In the name of Islam doesn't mean anything. Justified by Islam does.

Killing in the name of white people means nothing. You cannot ever be justified (in any way) by being white because it is a skin colour.
Original post by Borgia
I never said 'in the name of'. There is a crucial difference between 'in the name of' and 'justified by'. In the name of Islam doesn't mean anything. Justified by Islam does.

Killing in the name of white people means nothing. You cannot ever be justified (in any way) by being white because it is a skin colour.

It's funny how only Muslims are targeted,what about other extremists who follow a different ideology. I'm sure there are many extremist Jews or Christians,nobody asks them to apologise or do something about it
Reply 29
Original post by Borgia
If the actions of Kony and the WBC are justified in the Bible, then yes. If not then no.

Uganda published an anti-homosexuality act last year, do you think that all Christians should have apologized for that?
Reply 30
It's funny how only Muslims are targeted,what about other extremists who follow a different ideology. I'm sure there are many extremist Jews or Christians,nobody asks them to apologise or do something about it

On the contrary, atheists are very vocal about christianity and judaism. Christianity is by far the most poisonous religion in the US; Judaism also has a ethnic supremacy complex ingrained into it which is I think one of the reasons that Israel is able to justify what it does.
Reply 31
Original post by Asurat
Uganda published an anti-homosexuality act last year, do you think that all Christians should have apologized for that?

Either they are homophobic, or they should ask themselves why they follow a religion that dictates that homosexuality is immoral (as I did).
Reply 32
Original post by Borgia
Either they are homophobic, or they should ask themselves why they follow a religion that dictates that homosexuality is immoral (as I did).

So you're of the opinion that all Christians should apologize for the anti-homosexuality bill as Uganda is a majority Christian country?
Sure, politicially correct society collectively blames white people. But that's part of the racism white people need to stand up against, not apologise for.
Reply 34
Original post by Asurat
So you're of the opinion that all Christians should apologize for the anti-homosexuality bill as Uganda is a majority Christian country?

Apologize? No. Apologies are meaningless. Hitler apologised on numerous occasions.

Seeing as anti-homosexual rhetoric is ingrained in the Bible, christians should as themselves why, if they are not anti-gay, it is that they supports an ideology that is. I did, and that among other things caused me to reject the religion, just as I reject numerous other political positions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Xenorebrem
I think you've missed the point.

The idea is to display how ridiculous it is to judge over a billion people solely on the actions of a few, ideology or not.

Three are many muslims liberals who keep their religion to themselves and so to say that these people are responsible for this heinous crime IS as ludicrous as the proposition that all white people are responsible for the actions of so and so.

This pretty much. The ideology doesn't matter so much. It's absurd to make people apologise for what they didn't do themselves...
Original post by PrincessAlexis
do people blame 'black people' and 'blacks' for crimes when one single black person does something ?

Yes.

So join the club.

Yes, exactly! When it happens to non-white people, we should "get over it" or "stop playing the race card".. until it happens to them, they cry about it.
Reply 37
Original post by The_Internet
This pretty much. The ideology doesn't matter so much. It's absurd to make people apologise for what they didn't do themselves...

We are not talking about 'apologising' we are talking about taking collective responsibility.
Original post by Borgia
We are not talking about 'apologising' we are talking about taking collective responsibility.

Why should individual Muslims take "collective responsibility" for stuff they didn't do?

I don't expect English people to take "collective responsibility" for the suffering of some of my ancestors, under British rule..

Besides, the thread title does say

"The 'white person does x so all whites should apologise' fallacy" so we ARE talking about apologising
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by The_Internet
Why should individual Muslims take "collective responsibility" for stuff they didn't do?

For the same reason that all Germans who supported Hitler must for things that individually they didn't do. For the same reason that all the Americans who opposed abolition of slavery are responsible for it, whether they owned a slave or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending