Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminism = Female Supremacism: Men are the weaker sex. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
    It says peanuts about the movement. But you're assuming that it's only misandrists who have their works published. But of course something that would cause a disagreement would come into view! Anything negative or controversial look at how quickly it spreads and detracts from what the actual meaning is!

Nobody wants to talk about things that make sense and make people realise that what they're doing is wrong, oh no, defend your right to call women sluts because she called me a *******.

I'm sure you know that all newspapers are to be taken with more than a pinch of salt, in fact, the media is pretty damn corrupt that they'll only publish stuff that'll cause people to buy in their masses, 'Scandal!', 'Lies', etc etc. Again, if there was sensible stuff and actual news, they'd lose a lot of money because no one would be interested in sensible stuff.

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    It's published because it sells, it sells because it controversial.
    People love controversy, they love to get annoyed and argue.
    Yes, but there's usually a limit to the controversy a mainstream publication can tout before it loses all credibility. This is why British newspapers do not generally carry articles written by Holocaust deniers, or those calling for a violent overthrow of the ruling classes, or forced sterilisation of the poor - you can bet your bottom dollar those articles would spread like wildfire, but for all the wrong reasons.

As such, the fact that a very mainstream paper can publish what is essentially a polemic against a gender is an indication that the material is not so viewed as so controversial as to cause backlash. But that's precisely what's worrying! It indicates that feminism is not really quite as moderate as true equity feminists hope/think - rather, that feminism is sufficiently radicalised for such an article to generate so little controversy that a national newspaper has no hesitation in printing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    Of course women have perks
    I'm not saying said perks are always what women want - some may not want to coast through life with their beauty or be taken care of by men who think them to be fragile.

As for gender, there are massive differences in the psychology of men and women - it's rather late and I'd rather not recount evidence for this right now but trust me, studying in the psychological field has led me to learn quite proficiently that men and women are different in more ways than in a physical dimension.

I'm not disagreeing in the respect that these can be artificial; shaped by the world we live in, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
    So we have one very questionable perk beauty. What about women who aren't judged to be attractive? And there are a lot of men out there who are totally hot. Beauty is an advantage but not exclusive to women. And as for pretty women been taken care of men, eugh. The blokes must be getting something out of it right? And some guys do it to boost their self-esteem, looking after a pretty woman. And then there's all the hassle that comes with being pretty, endless catcalling, guys trying to ask you out all the time and then getting angry when you turn them down. Only ever being judged on your beauty, you then start to link beauty to selfworth, blah blah blah... you should know this being in the 'psychology field'.

It is disputable that there are psychology difference between men and women. They have different way of thinking about things, looking at things, expressing emotion etc... yes, but that's not for biological reasons, it's cultural reasons, mainly brought about by gender stereotyping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiamaria2)
    So we have one very questionable perk beauty. What about women who aren't judged to be attractive? And there are a lot of men out there who are totally hot. Beauty is an advantage but not exclusive to women. And as for pretty women been taken care of men, eugh. The blokes must be getting something out of it right? And some guys do it to boost their self-esteem, looking after a pretty woman. And then there's all the hassle that comes with being pretty, endless catcalling, guys trying to ask you out all the time and then getting angry when you turn them down. Only ever being judged on your beauty, you then start to link beauty to selfworth, blah blah blah... you should know this being in the 'psychology field'.

It is disputable that there are psychology difference between men and women. They have different way of thinking about things, looking at things, expressing emotion etc... yes, but that's not for biological reasons, it's cultural reasons, mainly brought about by gender stereotyping.
    There is indisputable evidence linking sex hormones directly to a wide range of psychological behaviours, including aggression, empathy, verbal development, risk-seeking. The first two lines of the wikipedia article on testosterone in the 'brain' section say: "As testosterone affects the entire body (often by enlarging; males have bigger hearts, lungs, liver, etc.), the brain is also affected by this "sexual" differentiation", and "the literature suggests that attention, memory, and spatial ability are key cognitive functions affected by testosterone in humans."

It is also indisputable that the vast majority of humans fall into the gender which matches their sex and respective sex hormones.

Arguments are better conducted with science and biology than pseudo-science and pop-lit sociology.

ReputationRep:
    feminism is a joke

that is all

ReputationRep:
    This article gave me a good giggle, and its un-deniable feminism is a movement which has been all but taken over by radicals, however its easier just to sit back and laugh at them.

The less society actually takes them seriously, and looks at them as more of a form of amusement, the sooner they'll either tone it down or just disappear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    Because one woman who calls herself a feminist automatically defines what all other people who call themselves feminists think, clearly.
    Implying the Guardian is a popular newspaper because nobody reads it.

Gotta say, I'm pretty sick of bull**** feminist Guardian articles being plastered everywhere I look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiamaria2)

You're just trying to be difficult here.
    Beauty as an advantage is much much more beneficial to women than to men.

You're somehow not saying anything noteworthy in a large post - I understand where your opinion lies, but please never conclude your own point with "blah blah blah"...

There is near-zero dispute that there are psychological or otherwise differences between men and women.
    Don't insult my intelligence by trying to falsely teach me about a field of study that I already have proficient knowledge in.

I don't mean to sound snappy by the way, it's just late and I'm tired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    Feminist's have finally shown their hand. Told the world what their true intentions and motivations are. Writing in the Guardian on Friday, prominent Feminist Hannah Betts said that, quote:

Without a glimmer of irony, she justifies these extraordinarily sexist and hate filled quotes on the back of some 'research' (scientific sexism), which says that males are the biologically weaker sex.

It really is a telling piece. It tells us men what we are up against. You can read the full diatribe here:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...et-about-girls
    She's an extremist who clearly doesn't understand what feminism is, just like a lot of radical muslims they to are not acting as true muslims as she is not acting like a true feminist. You can't take the words of a group of radicals and use them to represent all members of feminism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoriajackson)
    She's an extremist who clearly doesn't understand what feminism is, just like a lot of radical muslims they to are not acting as true muslims as she is not acting like a true feminist. You can't take the words of a group of radicals and use them to represent all members of feminism.
    Please list the mainstream newspapers that support and publish radical Islamic articles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    Please list the mainstream newspapers that support and publish radical Islamic articles.
    I wasn't aware any of them supported radical feminism, there is a difference between supporting something and reporting about something.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware any of them supported radical feminism, there is a difference between supporting something and reporting about something.
    The Guardian isn't exactly unknown for spouting [stupid] feminist crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The Guardian isn't exactly unknown for spouting [stupid] feminist crap.
    feminist "crap" or radical feminist crap? there is a difference.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    feminist "crap" or radical feminist crap? there is a difference.
    There isn't really, it's petty crap vs ridiculous crap. Crap is crap.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't really, it's petty crap vs ridiculous crap. Crap is crap.
    No it's not and you're clearly not open to discussion about it.

ReputationRep:
    Plz help, the nasty feminists are saying mean things about me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No it's not and you're clearly not open to discussion about it.
    Well then, if feminism has any real issues left to deal with in the Uk, tell me about them, it's not like the society forum is fairly regularly reloaded with a thread trying to demonstrate the relevance of modern feminism.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you've read The Guardian before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    I don't think you've read The Guardian before.
    Yeah I have actually...

ReputationRep:
    Well then, if feminism has any real issues left to deal with in the Uk, tell me about them, it's not like the society forum is fairly regularly reloaded with a thread trying to demonstrate the relevance of modern feminism.
    There is a lot that is left to deal with they may not seem as important as the issues that need tackling in other countries such as malala yousafzai being shot in the head because her culture doesn't think women have the same rights to education as boys but there are still a lot of sexist constructs and attitudes in society. I'm not going to tell you to read the everyday sexism project because for some of the cases yeah I do agree that it's less sexism more over sensitivity/ that guy was a douche but there is a lack of respect for women still in society.

When I was growing up all I was bombarded with was messages that the only thing I was good for was to look good, get married and have a man look after me, that my role was a caring role and I should be focusing on domestic things, intelligence isn't attractive yeah don't be a stupid bimbo but don't be more intelligent/stronger/better at anything than a man because he'll be put off and you'll die a lonely old spinster. Dress a certain way, act a certain way the pressure for women is absolutely enormous women can't win and it needs to stop. Men are not put under as much scrutiny you only have to read articles on fairly incredible women and the main things that are mentioned is how they look and it needs to stop don't get me wrong I think it's becoming more common for men to be objectified and be reduced down to how good their abs are but I don't agree with that either.

There are certain things women are still not able to do like fighting on the front line, if women can pass the physical tests they should be allowed.
    I don't agree with the whole gender-pay gap thing because women are less likely go into higher paid careers but I think the REASONING behind why needs to be addressed some don't because they're simply not interested in those sorts of careers but for others I know it was through fear of social rejection and I think women are as much to blame as men. However why are men being paid more for the same role and same job requirements as a woman and it does happen a lot. Women make other women feel bad and it's because every woman is seen as competition, how can you have women supporting each other when we're being pitted against each other? That's wear feminism is needed not just to "fight the patriarchy" but to help other women support women.

Basically freeing people from gender roles, gender stereotypes being that I'm not good at something because I'm female and doubting something I've told someone because "women don't know about that sort of stuff" or that I'll be good at cooking or cleaning because it's "women's work" and it helps men wouldn't it be nice if it was widely accepted that men were just as good at women at looking after their children? That the child shouldn't automatically live with it's mother?

I think it's really misrepresented as women kicking up a fuss over nothing or crazy man-hating women but fighting every day against sexism, sexist jokes that aren't funny, sexual assault i.e people thinking it's ok to slap you on the bottom ( I know this happens to men too), people assuming you'll be staying at home looking after the children - you're lazy and have no ambition if you do and if you don't you're a monster who shouldn't have had children btw there are just so many reasons and they might be minor but added together it becomes a problem.

Again I'm not comparing it to places where a major change of attitudes towards women is needed but just because we have a decent amount of equality it doesn't mean we should just stop and put up and shut up.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot that is left to deal with they may not seem as important as the issues that need tackling in other countries such as malala yousafzai being shot in the head because her culture doesn't think women have the same rights to education as boys but there are still a lot of sexist constructs and attitudes in society. I'm not going to tell you to read the everyday sexism project because for some of the cases yeah I do agree that it's less sexism more over sensitivity/ that guy was a douche but there is a lack of respect for women still in society.

When I was growing up all I was bombarded with was messages that the only thing I was good for was to look good, get married and have a man look after me, that my role was a caring role and I should be focusing on domestic things, intelligence isn't attractive yeah don't be a stupid bimbo but don't be more intelligent/stronger/better at anything than a man because he'll be put off and you'll die a lonely old spinster. Dress a certain way, act a certain way the pressure for women is absolutely enormous women can't win and it needs to stop. Men are not put under as much scrutiny you only have to read articles on fairly incredible women and the main things that are mentioned is how they look and it needs to stop don't get me wrong I think it's becoming more common for men to be objectified and be reduced down to how good their abs are but I don't agree with that either.
    Not particularly relevant/

There are certain things women are still not able to do like fighting on the front line, if women can pass the physical tests they should be allowed.
    Which should be happening soon enough, and debatably be the case for a very long time because of their inclusion in the Navy.

I don't agree with the whole gender-pay gap thing because women are less likely go into higher paid careers but I think the REASONING behind why needs to be addressed some don't because they're simply not interested in those sorts of careers but for others I know it was through fear of social rejection and I think women are as much to blame as men.
    As is biology

However why are men being paid more for the same role and same job requirements as a woman and it does happen a lot.
    Refer to most threads that bring up this topic to see how it is shot down. (pssttt, it's to do with the hours worked)

Women make other women feel bad and it's because every woman is seen as competition, how can you have women supporting each other when we're being pitted against each other? That's wear where feminism is needed not just to "fight the patriarchy"
    The what? The thing feminism still clings on to despite having been dead for decades?
    but to help other women support women.
    How is feminism still a thing if they can't even work this out?

Basically freeing people from gender roles, gender stereotypes being that I'm not good at something because I'm female and doubting something I've told someone because "women don't know about that sort of stuff" or that I'll be good at cooking or cleaning because it's "women's work"...
    Stereotypes come from somewhere, and even in Scandinavia where such "issues" have been broken down, the problem seems to be worse as far as who is working where.

and it helps men wouldn't it be nice if it was widely accepted that men were just as good at women at looking after their children? That the child shouldn't automatically live with it's mother?
    You can blame biology for that one too.

I think it's really misrepresented as women kicking up a fuss over nothing or crazy man-hating women but fighting every day against sexism, sexist jokes that aren't funny, sexual assault i.e people thinking it's ok to slap you on the bottom ( I know this happens to men too), people assuming you'll be staying at home looking after the children - you're lazy and have no ambition if you do and if you don't you're a monster who shouldn't have had children btw there are just so many reasons and they might be minor but added together it becomes a problem.
    Start up a thread about this and watch it get torn apart.

Again I'm not comparing it to places where a major change of attitudes towards women is needed but just because we have a decent amount of equality it doesn't mean we should just stop and put up and shut up.
    You don't just have a "decent" amount, you have your equality by opportunity, just because that doesn't translate to results doesn't mean there is inequality.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.