The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
I've no doubt they'll find a way around that, with something as hazily thought out as the end of the last series. The Master (in a past series) sought to steal the Doctor's remaining regenerations, so I'm sure something of that nature could be managed. The BBC won't let it die for that reason if it's still as popular as it is at the moment.
Reply 1161
Apagg
I don't know that Timelord regenerations allow gender or species changes. I certainly hope not.
I just can't see a woman doing the same role as Tennant, Ecclestone, Baker etc. The character would change completely.

I don't think that they can.

Female Time Lords would always regenerate into another female Time Lord, and males would always stay males. The only way we would see a Female Time Lord would be to bring back the Doctors grand-daughter (who was left on a planet married to some freedom fighter if I re-call).
Reply 1162
The only way we would see a Female Time Lord would be to bring back the Doctors grand-daughter (who was left on a planet married to some freedom fighter if I re-call).

If I recall right there are other female Time Ladies who didn't die in the older series, Rani, Romana and The Inquisitor all potentially still exist in the universe. Rani escaped the Doctor in her last apperance, Romana went to a parallel world but since The Inquisitor was on the high council of Time Lords I assume she died in the time war.

I think it's odd they don't object to a female doctor for the same reason

I'd object to it, it just seems like a really odd idea and I think I would find it too weird. Time Lords should stay as men and Time Ladies should stay as women, it works that way.
Reply 1163
Sorani
If I recall right there are other female Time Ladies who didn't die in the older series, Rani, Romana and The Inquisitor all potentially still exist in the universe. Rani escaped the Doctor in her last apperance, Romana went to a parallel world but since The Inquisitor was on the high council of Time Lords I assume she died in the time war.

I suppose it just ties down to the fact that in the first series, the Doctor said he would know if others were still around.

And the reason the Master was able to avoid dection was because he used the Cameleon Arch to become human.
Reply 1164
suppose it just ties down to the fact that in the first series, the Doctor said he would know if others were still around.

And the reason the Master was able to avoid dection was because he used the Cameleon Arch to become human

They could always use different excuses to bring them back, Romana being in a parallel world being the obvious one.
There isn't really anything set in the new Doctor Who universe, it seems like you can easily come up with an excuse to account for the reapperance of someone, like using the void to introduce more Daleks, even with the sheer amount of "All the Daleks are dead", "This is the last Dalek", "We've destroyed all the Daleks" and so on and so forth.
Reply 1165
Sorani
They could always use different excuses to bring them back, Romana being in a parallel world being the obvious one.
There isn't really anything set in the new Doctor Who universe, it seems like you can easily come up with an excuse to account for the reapperance of someone, like using the void to introduce more Daleks, even with the sheer amount of "All the Daleks are dead", "This is the last Dalek", "We've destroyed all the Daleks" and so on and so forth.

I know what you mean. Someone said to one of the writers that soon they won't have any more regenerations left since we are currently on the 10th Doctor and Time Lords are suppose to only have about 13 different "lifes", but they dis-missed that saying that "This is science fiction, we can always make up something".

Shame that it can't be like the old days where actors stay for six years in the role: Tom Baker after all was in over 200 episodes.
Reply 1166
Shame that it can't be like the old days where actors stay for six years in the role: Tom Baker after all was in over 200 episodes

I don't understand why actors want to move on so fast. I know they fear typecasting and all that but I'd have thought it's such an amazing role to play and the longer you play it the better you'll be remembered for it. Even so soon it seems that David Tennant has already overshadowed Christopher Eccleston, it isn't about any sort of acting skill just that it was only one series and I can see Eccleston getting forgotten for it quite fast.
Reply 1167
Which is exactly what he wants
Reply 1168
Apagg

Yep, Christopher Eccleston didn't want to be type casted as the Doctor, mainly because he didn't want to spend the rest of his life at Doctor Who conventions in America.

Despite that David Tennant loves the role, he will go the same way.
Reply 1169

But that's what I don't get, why? Why take a role and act the hell out of it if everyone is just going to forget you? It seems very pointless.
By the way, this is a Dr Who thread, but is there a proper soc you can actually join?
Still not seen the last three episodes, so I try not to look up this thread too often !!!
Reply 1171
Sorani
But that's what I don't get, why? Why take a role and act the hell out of it if everyone is just going to forget you? It seems very pointless.

To impress directors of other programmes and films with your acting talent without becoming trapped in a particular role for the rest of your career.
Reply 1172
FrenchGal
By the way, this is a Dr Who thread, but is there a proper soc you can actually join?
Still not seen the last three episodes, so I try not to look up this thread too often !!!

The soc is there for fans of the show to discuss random things like "Who is your favourite villian" and "Will they bring back Sally Sparrow".

This thread is about the show itself and discuss how the previous episode was, what the new arc word is etc.

So they are complety different.
Dude
The soc is there for fans of the show to discuss random things like "Who is your favourite villian" and "Will they bring back Sally Sparrow".

This thread is about the show itself and discuss how the previous episode was, what the new arc word is etc.

So they are complety different.

Ok, cheers.
And can you give me a link to the soc, if that's possible? I can't find it anywhere.
Sorani

Because he wanted to get children to like good tv at and early age...
should'nt the poll say 'Best Doctor'.. tut, Jonathon Ross and David Tennant would not be pleased.
I can't deicde, it would actually be an impossibliity esp. since having watched some of the empty child and the matching confidential yesterday... Their banter was much better than series 2+3 and I love em both, some amazing bits, the Moffat script and the Rose sscript (banter!!) when The doc reappears in 'Fathers Day' or th Hologram bit... But i love DT also.. so much *sigh*
the sand man
so it nearly time for David Tennant as the new dr who so what do u think will happen

what do u think so the loss end they still got to tie up whith the

bad wolf

what ever going to happen in the first epposde it going to be a good one
look at the celebrities going to be in this seson of dr who were in for a real treat

and ther are
Derek Acorah (Celebrity medium, Derek Acorah's Ghost Towns) in Army of Ghosts and/or Doomsday
Adjoa Andoh (Casualty) in New Earth
Alistair Appleton (Cash in the Attic) in Army of Ghosts and/or Doomsday
Pauline Collins (Upstairs, Downstairs, Shirley Valentine) in Tooth and Claw
Edna Doré (EastEnders) in Fear Her
Jamie Foreman (Oliver Twist) in The Idiot's Lantern
Trisha Goddard (popular talk show host) in Army of Ghosts and/or Doomsday
Mona Hammond (EastEnders) in Rise of the Cybermen
Andrew Hayden-Smith (CBBC, Byker Grove) in Rise of the Cybermen
Anthony Head (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Little Britain) in School Reunion
Shirley Henderson (Harry Potter movies) in Love and Monsters
Raji James (EastEnders) in Rise of the Cybermen
Peter Kay (comedian) in Love and Monsters
Maureen Lipman (stage and screen actress) in The Idiot's Lantern
Sophia Myles (Thunderbirds) in The Girl in the Fireplace
Tracey-Ann Oberman (EastEnders) in Army of Ghosts and/or Doomsday
Roger Lloyd Pack (Only Fools and Horses, The Vicar of Dibley) in Rise of the Cybermen
Nina Sosanya (Teachers, Casanova) in one episode
Will Thorp (Strictly Come Dancing, Casualty) in The Satan Pit
Zoë Wanamaker (My Family, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Johnny and the Bomb) in New Earth
Marc Warren (Hustle, Band of Brothers) in Love and Monsters
Barbara Windsor (EastEnders, Carry On movies) in Army of Ghosts and/or Doomsday

info from wikipedia

i know this quote is OOLLLDDDDD but i knew i recognised that name from recently
'Adjoa Andoh (Casualty) in New Earth' but she plays Marthas mother right? and she wasn't in New Earth was she, not on imdb.
Dude
I don't think that they can.

Female Time Lords would always regenerate into another female Time Lord, and males would always stay males. The only way we would see a Female Time Lord would be to bring back the Doctors grand-daughter (who was left on a planet married to some freedom fighter if I re-call).

its sad that his grandaughter has been dead for years and years O_____O
almost certainly
Reply 1178
moogle301
its sad that his grandaughter has been dead for years and years O_____O
almost certainly

Hes a Time Lord, he can go back to any point when she was alive (unless she is in a parrell dimention, forgotton where she was left) :p:.

After all, Sarah Jane Smith came back to the series for an episode.
Dude
Hes a Time Lord, he can go back to any point when she was alive (unless she is in a parrell dimention, forgotton where she was left) :p:.

After all, Sarah Jane Smith came back to the series for an episode.

yeah i know what you mean but he only ever seems to be in our present when he's onscreen anyways, so in that way she has been. PLus going abck and interacting would probably bring some terrible doom or something so whats the use, all he could do is watch her

Latest