The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

A market for sex exists because women don't 'put out' enough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gustavus

There is plenty of evidence to suggest it is not purely young, attractive, women getting raped.

Not purely, no, but they are more likely to, which evolutionary theory predicts. "Power" theory does not. In fact, feminists are often vague about the predictions of their theory, suggesting it is not particularly scientific.

I would also note that power may be involved from in terms of proximate causation, but the reproductive strategy or a by-product of male sexuality may simultaneously be causal from an ultimate perspective.
It's a stupid question really. Even without prostitution it works like a market, but women want emotional support more than men, so it isn't as if all women are getting their needs met and men aren't.

Original post by chazwomaq
OP, you're obviously correct in your economic argument that women have something that men want more than men have something that women want. That doesn't in any way make it a moral argument that women should put out more.

Until you realise that some men want to have sex with your wife / girlfriend, which might not make your world a happier place...

Actually, despite the knee-jerk reactions on this thread, this is a serious field of academic enquiry (see attached paper). Men without access to sex (or low social status) may be more prone to crime, rape etc. However, the argument in the paper is that monogamy (rather than female promiscuity) helps ameliorate these problems. Interesting read.

I've heard this before, also the idea that early society was much more warlike because the rulers had many wives so the single low status men were all frustrated and angry and wars fulfilled both the function of giving them an outlet (or letting them die in the process) and allowing them to take war brides. Brutal as **** tbh
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 102
Original post by chazwomaq
OP, you're obviously correct in your economic argument that women have something that men want more than men have something that women want. That doesn't in any way make it a moral argument that women should put out more.

Until you realise that some men want to have sex with your wife / girlfriend, which might not make your world a happier place...

Actually, despite the knee-jerk reactions on this thread, this is a serious field of academic enquiry (see attached paper). Men without access to sex (or low social status) may be more prone to crime, rape etc. However, the argument in the paper is that monogamy (rather than female promiscuity) helps ameliorate these problems. Interesting read.
Does this mean I am more likely to commit crime and rape? I do not have access to sex and I believe I have low social status too. :frown:
Original post by Bassetts
Does this mean I am more likely to commit crime and rape? I do not have access to sex and I believe I have low social status too. :frown:

Statistically maybe, but you are in control of your own actions! As a young man I am more likely to commit murder (or any crime!) than other groups, but I don't think I need worry about it, because I am in control of myself.

Remember science generally argues from the particular to the general, not from the general to the particular.
Reply 104
Nice one.
It's very simple. Women don't know what they want.
They will talk about nice guys and all that jazz. But when it comes to it they are attracted to power and wealth. Get that right and they will give you sex even if they don't like you.
Women talk a lot but at the end of the day are shallow. Try this, put in an advert on a dating site say you are a nice guy and see what kind of a response you get.
The bottom line is that women want what they can't have. Be that bad boy or wealthy guy and suddenly it doesn't matter how you dress or introduce yourself to them.
Stop listening to women for advice on getting women they don't have a clue on how mean their friends are to men.
Thread closed - please don't bump old threads :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending