The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

A question for Muslims...is it okay to have gay friends?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anonymous
My best mate is gay. We are so close and I just found out a few days ago that he is gay.
Is it ok to remain friends with him? I love him dearly much, but I need to know...I watched this program called 'Skins' and there's two best friends, Anwar (who is Muslim) and Maxxie (who is gay), and Anwar tells Maxxie that he can't be his friend anymore because he's a Muslim and he doesn't choose his friends. Poor Maxxie was really really sad and offended...:frown:
So what do you Muslims think? Is there anywhere written in Islam where you can't be friends with gay people?

did you even watch the whole episode? anwar's dad speaks sense, listen to the man. also, anwar was more reluctant about staying friends because he thought his parents wouldn't approve, because of islam, but he was wrong so everyone was happy in the end. except tony, but who cares about him really.
Reply 21
Anonymous
YES IT IS! Anything that harms your HEALTH is haram in Islam!
Go consult an expert before you make these silly assumptions!

I meant that in the sense that smoking isn't condemned in the Quran by name as strongly as something as murder, drinking, adultery, etc. I'm aware there are provisions against khamr and what harms your health, but my point was that "smoking" isn't something that's prohibited by name.

For example, there is the story that when the revelations prohibiting drinking came into full force, people threw their alcohol out into the streets so that it seemed like there was a river of wine. I don't remember anything in the Quran or Sunnah about smoking being prohibited and everyone throwing out their cigarettes so it was like a tower of tobacco or something...

Maybe read a little deeper before you call my assumptions silly? It seems like you're the one assuming here, I merely made a statement that was perhaps a bit too ambiguous.
La Môme
I meant that in the sense that smoking isn't condemned in the Quran by name as strongly as something as murder, drinking, adultery, etc. I'm aware there are provisions against khamr and what harms your health, but my point was that "smoking" isn't something that's prohibited by name.

For example, there is the story that when the revelations prohibiting drinking came into full force, people threw their alcohol out into the streets so that it seemed like there was a river of wine. I don't remember anything in the Quran or Sunnah about smoking being prohibited and everyone throwing out their cigarettes so it was like a tower of tobacco or something...

Maybe read a little deeper before you call my assumptions silly? It seems like you're the one assuming here, I merely made a statement that was perhaps a bit too ambiguous.

Smoking is Haram so is eating pork etc, Its just that there were no cigerettes at that time so obviously its not specifically mentioned. Even drinking alcohol is not specifically mentioned, the Quran says intoxication is not allowed so its ijma that as Alcohol causes intoxication therefore its not allowed.
Now, anything that harms your health including smoking drugs etc is Haram and as smoking harms your health therefore its haram aswell.

Answering the OP's question I dont think theres anything wrong with it as longs as you dont turn gay although I am no scholar so I would advise asking someone learned if you wanna be completely sure.
Anonymous
Smoking is Haram so is eating pork etc, Its just that there were no cigerettes at that time so obviously its not specifically mentioned. Even drinking alcohol is not specifically mentioned, the Quran says intoxication is not allowed so its ijma that as Alcohol causes intoxication therefore its not allowed.
Now, anything that harms your health including smoking drugs etc is Haram and as smoking harms your health therefore its haram aswell.

Answering the OP's question I dont think theres anything wrong with it as longs as you dont turn gay although I am no scholar so I would advise asking someone learned if you wanna be completely sure.

Fatty foods harm your health, why aren't they haram?
Don't see why not. Love your neighbour.
Reply 25
You should let your religion guide your life; not take over it. In other words, don't destroy a good friendship over something as silly as sexuality, it doesn't change your friend in any way.
I think you can be friends with him, just don't take him to any Muslim countries cus he'll be killed by your savage religious brothers. But hey, he gets to choose his death - stoning, cut in half or hung?
BrightGirl
Know your own ******* religion so you can justify believing in it.

this
LetoKynes
Fatty foods harm your health, why aren't they haram?

They dont harm your health as much as smoking, drugs do. If fatty food were made haram then many other thing would be aswell, go to be practical aswell!
Reply 29
Nfixlol
did you even watch the whole episode? anwar's dad speaks sense, listen to the man. also, anwar was more reluctant about staying friends because he thought his parents wouldn't approve, because of islam, but he was wrong so everyone was happy in the end. except tony, but who cares about him really.

I know of course I did watch the whole episode.
Oh and why was Tony unhappy?:p:
Reply 30
'be not cast by your own hands to ruin' (2:195)

Whether or not smoking is haram is open to personal interpretation, but that's what the Qur'an has to say about it :rolleyes:

OP, I think it's fine to have a gay friend - you are not responsible for your friend's sexuality, nor should you base your friendship on it :smile: but you shouldn't encourage him to engage in haram activity, because then you'd be leading him to sin. Makes sense?
Reply 31
Anonymous
Now, anything that harms your health including smoking drugs etc is Haram and as smoking harms your health therefore its haram

Turn gay? Can you catch it?
Pheylan
yes indeed

hello.
Nick_000
Turn gay? Can you catch it?

LOL no :P:
I was just saying btw!
Reply 34
Anonymous
I know of course I did watch the whole episode.
Oh and why was Tony unhappy?:p:

he got hit by a bus lol :rofl:
I'm Muslim and one of my best friends is gay and it's never been an issue.
I don't think it's wrong. That is how he was born, but even if I did it still wouldn't justify my cutting ties, lots of people have friends who they don't always agree with but as long as it doesn't directly affect the relationship what's the problem?

matrix15
If you base your life on skins you'll end up being hit by a bus.

Brilliant. :top:
sundance_kid

Really OP, don't let it ruin a good friendship.

Oh pur-lease. We haven't even seen these two kiss properly yet, let alone any guy on guy action. I am still hoping for some skin...
no it is not okay.
Anonymous
My best mate is gay. We are so close and I just found out a few days ago that he is gay.
Is it ok to remain friends with him? I love him dearly much, but I need to know...I watched this program called 'Skins' and there's two best friends, Anwar (who is Muslim) and Maxxie (who is gay), and Anwar tells Maxxie that he can't be his friend anymore because he's a Muslim and he doesn't choose his friends. Poor Maxxie was really really sad and offended...:frown:
So what do you Muslims think? Is there anywhere written in Islam where you can't be friends with gay people?

the research the writers of skins did on islam most probably came of wikipedia in a 'that'll do' sort of mentality - so i wouldn't ditch good friendship based on this show - dunno about your actual question
Anonymous
YES IT IS! Anything that harms your HEALTH is haram in Islam!
Go consult an expert before you make these silly assumptions!

Then why is being gay haram?

Latest

Trending

Trending