The Student Room Group

Why is incest so taboo?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dekota-XS
If having sex in public places is acceptable, if having one night stands isn't frowned upon and if interracial relationships are acceptable these days then why hasn't society learnt to accept that incest does happen and will continue happening? Why is it such a taboo topic?

OP clearly fancies their sister/brother. L2Anon
Reply 81
Original post by Ethereal
why are you searching for a truly rational reason for incest to be wrong?

Plenty of things in society are deemed unacceptable without a truly rational reason.

Surely you're not implying that's a good thing?
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
You think the next logical step after normalizing interracial relationships is normalizing incest? Oh dear.

Original post by Antonia87
Your screen name is really quite fitting here isnt it.

Original post by Agent Smirnoff
This takes MILF to another level :lolwut:

All out of pos reps so quoted instead :biggrin:
Original post by infernalcradle
if you had a recessive condition....there will be at least 1 person in the family who will have it....and as such, you would know....

or I suppose the responsible thing would be to get tested for such things before getting jiggy for kids :biggrin:

Not necessarily.

And also they can't just test you for everything you might possibly have wrong with you:rolleyes:
Reply 84
Original post by Stefan1991
Yeah of course, why what would you do? Tell teenagers to stop having sex, yeah because that's going to work :rolleyes:

I'd react in the same way to my son and his girlfriend bonking. There's no difference.

so you wouldn't do anything about your son and daughter having sex ? My god please don't procreate.

Nice that you ignored the jibe about trying it on with your daughter. You could of at least said you would never do that.
Someone at my school had sex with his sister also alot of Asians screw their first cousins resulting in a bigger bill for genetic conditions in areas like Bradford burnely etc.
Original post by mkb230
When organisms mate too closely within family lines, they tend to make it more likely that abnormal, recessive genes will be passed on to their offspring. This means that their children are more likely to be born deformed or with other genetic related problems. The longer the inbreeding goes, the more generations that are invovled, the worse the problem will get.

Common knowledge, if only you had bothered to pay attention in your science lesson instead of thinking about making love to your sister/mother.

The chance of a genetic distortion is only 3% and this argument assumes the sex will result in a baby. Based on this argument why is it wrong for a brother and sister to have sex but acceptable for people with heriditary desieases to have sex? The latter pose a greater chance of passing on the gentic defects. Also with the advent of genetic screening defects can be scanned for and if the couple wants they can have an abortion. We also need to consider birth control, why is insecst wrong if birth control is used?

The primary reason for incest being wrong is the potential for explotation it allows. It would be easy for a relative to take advantage of their position of authority to sexually expolit a younger family member, similar to why teachers can't have sex with their students. I don't see any problem with two siblings who hadn't met til they were adults to have a sexual relationship. There is no logical reason beyound fear of explotation for there to be a taboo over incest, its just the EWWW factor.
Reply 87
Original post by Arenas123
so you wouldn't do anything about your son and daughter having sex ? My god please don't procreate.

Nice that you ignored the jibe about trying it on with your daughter. You could of at least said you would never do that.

Nice to see you ignored when i asked you what you would do.

So what would be your problem exactly? You still haven't made clear why you are so against this, do you even have a reason?
Reply 88
Incest feels "icky" because it's biologically/evolutionarily advantageous to discourage it.
That instinct is a very good idea, and society has adopted it.

This feeling doesn't apply to everyone, especially when family members did not grow up together, and so if they want to engage in it, privately, there's nothing that can be done about it. If they have any sense whatsoever, they won't reproduce.

Generally when people say that incest is fine, they're thinking of someone else's family :p:.
Yeah of course, why what would you do? Tell teenagers to stop having sex, yeah because that's going to work :rolleyes:

I'd react in the same way to my son and his girlfriend bonking. There's no difference.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that if you saw your 16 year old son having sex with your 15 year old daughter, you would tell him to stick something on the end of it and walk out to carry on with your daily routine. Please confirm.
Reply 90
Original post by Boom Pow
I find it incredibly hard to believe that if you saw your 16 year old son having sex with your 15 year old daughter, you would tell him to stick something on the end of it and walk out to carry on with your daily routine. Please confirm.

Christ, if it's such an outrageous suggestion give me one reason why. Yes I confirm.
Incest is best!
Christ, if it's such an outrageous suggestion give me one reason why. Yes I confirm.

I just threw up.

Being family obviously doesn't seem like a big problem to you for some strange reason. It's your own flesh and blood.

If your mum tried to kiss you, are you just going to say "Oh mum your not my type, sorry". Would you make a move on your sister if she was good looking?
I think it is pretty nasty, to be honest, but that doesn't mean I think it should be illegal. As long as both participants are willing and of age, then they should be able to do what they want in the privacy in their own home.
Reply 94
I just threw up.

Being family obviously doesn't seem like a big problem to you for some strange reason. It's your own flesh and blood.

We all have flesh and blood and we are all related, I still don't get your point.

If your mum tried to kiss you, are you just going to say "Oh mum your not my type, sorry". Would you make a move on your sister if she was good looking?

No, because I'm not attracted to my own family.
We all have flesh and blood and we are all related, I still don't get your point.

No, because I'm not attracted to my own family.

That's why I said if. Your mum trying to make a move on you does not mean you are attracted to her. I just want to know what your reaction would be if she were to do so.
Reply 96
That's why I said if. Your mum trying to make a move on you does not mean you are attracted to her. I just want to know what your reaction would be if she were to do so.

Nice MILF :borat:
While I do not support it, I do think some of the arguments against it are stupid.

1 - Saying "Ewww" or whatever is just silly. I personally find many sexual acts disgusting, yet I don't think they should be banned.

2 - The genetics argument is starting to get somewhere. But as already mentioned, what if the two people weren't going to have kids? (to counter the "birth control doesn't always work" argument, what if one of them were sterile). And if its about genetics, then why do we allow people with genetic defects (that will be passed on) to have kids. Seems a bit hypocritical.

3 - The abuse / taking advantage argument is probably the most logical. But again, what about the cases where the siblings weren't raised together and only met in adulthood (and started with each other before they knew about their relations).
Original post by secret_geek
First cousins doesn't count as incest does it?

Anyone that you are related to via blood is incest in my opinion.

Personally I am not sure when it comes to adopted family members as they are technically not blood but if you have grown up with them thinking of them as family then I guess it would too, no?
Assuming all child protection laws are still adhered to etc... I personally cant find a problem with incestuous relationships between two consenting adults as long as biological offspring are not produced. Right now thats the only side of the argument that is logical to me.

Not that it doesnt gross me out to a massive extent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending