The Student Room Group

Why should footballers be on a better salary than soldiers? I think its wrong

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Footballers should either quit their "jobs".

Or die in righteous fires!

They get so much from entertainment, they aren't better than prostitute in my eyes.
Reply 41
Original post by Stilo
For the record I'm not discounting the fact that there are malicious, evil, soldiers out there who partake in horrendous crimes against middle eastern residents. I'm simply saying that on the whole, I would imagine, most of these soldiers are good people and are fighting for our countries sakes.

I believe their are 'good' soldiers i.e. doing the damn job they get paid for but I also believe most and I don't use the word most lightly who are trigger happy killers.. that is what happens when the basic laws of the country are virtually in the hands of a group of highly uneducated thugs to do as they please.. that is why so many innocent people have been murdered and my comment is aimed directly and only at those responsible for doing any crimes mentioned in previous posts, so if they havn't then there not thugs
Reply 42
That concludes me on this.. too angry now
Reply 43
I love people who complain about the wages of footballers (and at that singers, actors/actresses, and so on) when they themselves are guilty of contributing to those wages by buying football merchandise (footballs, jerseys), season tickets, Sky Sports subscriptions, CDs, DVDs, cinema tickets, concert tickets, music downloads, etc etc etc. If people genuinely didn't want these people to be paid so high, then they would stop contributing to their wages.. but instead, they help keep the market strong and going!

I love the military as much as anyone, even wanted to join myself, but I don't understand why they get all the glory when paramedics, nurses, firefighters, etc. are also not paid that well. At least the armed forces has a steady promotion system, you can be earning more than £30k a year within a few years and rank increases. British Army Sergeants are paid, for example, between £30k and £37k depending on experience etc. That's not including combat operations money and the subsidies they get. Officers in the military are paid even more.
Reply 44
Yeah, exactly, this is the backwards society that we live in. Footballers who do nothing to help the country get paid millions!

While soldiers who are prepared to give their lives for this country get squat!
Original post by BCUciaran
Here is the tip of the ice berg! Do not tell me "WE ARE AT WAR" wake up you [leaves to imagination]. THERE IS NO WAR IT IS A LIE!!!!!!!! God this has really p***** me off!

There is no war? What do you call Afghanistan then? Is that fake? Is it all a simulation? A hoax? Of course it's a war you silly tool. The conflict in Afghanistan is the very definition of a war. It is a state of organised armed conflict between two or more combatants, in this case between ISAF and the Taliban. You may disagree with us being in Afghanistan, but that is irrelevant to the nature of something being a war.

Here's a quote from that first source, bodycount.

'The count encompasses non-combatants killed by military or paramilitary action and the breakdown in civil security following the invasion. '

The majority of deaths are the result of sectarian figting between Iraqi paramilitaries and militant groups. You seem to think that the majority were killed by British forces, they were not. You also seem to think that isolated instances of a British soldier killing a civilian is evidence in your favour. It is not.
You claimed that British soldiers are trained to target and kill innocent civilians. As someone who is in the Army, I can catagorically state that that is a load of crap. Either produce evidence, or withdraw and apologize.
As I said before, I could easily provide hundreds of links detailing drunken students engaging in fights, robbery and in general criminal behavour. Does that make all students criminals?
Original post by tif49
Yeah, exactly, this is the backwards society that we live in. Footballers who do nothing to help the country get paid millions!

They do nothing for this country?
They pay millions in taxes, stimulate the economy by spending millions more on maintainy their luxury lifestyles, and bring joy to millions by playing the beautiful game.
Reply 47
Original post by 7~UP
from what I gather is basically a group of grown men kicking a ball around a field a few times a week

From what I gather soldiers only are a couple of uneducated brats who are stupid enough to believe they are serving their country.
Reply 48
Original post by Gakama
From what I gather soldiers only are a couple of uneducated brats who are stupid enough to believe they are serving their country.

At least they put their life on the line.

Unlike footballers, worst thing that could happen to a footballer is limp injury.
Reply 49
Original post by ======
A lot of soldiers are uneducated chavs who did crap in school and made no effort, and can't get a job due to lack of qualifications and therefore end up ''joining the army''.

Soldiers don't deserve any special treatment.

Fair enough with your 'soldiers don't deserve any special treatment', that's your opinion.
However, the majority of soldiers *are* educated, they are simply passionate about doing their bit for their country as well. It's called patriotism. My godmother's son is in the Army, serving in Afghanistan. He couldn't decide on what he wanted to do for a career, despite achieving respectable exam results that would have got him a job elsewhere had he wished. He is serving in the Army while he decides what he wants to do, as that's something that he's so passionate about. Who knows, maybe he'll continue in the Army for a while yet, but he still has his qualifications in reserve.
'Uneducated chav who did crap in school and made no effort, and can't get a job due to lack of qualifications' you say?
1) I reckon his qualifications are on a par, if not exceeding, yours
2) Being a soldier is a job, with a regular income
3) He has mild asberger's syndrome, so I'd say he put in more effort than most, in order to achieve all that he has.

Don't judge.
because footballers generate masses for the economy where as soldiers do the opposite
Reply 51
7-up your having a dig at footballers? now you can honestly tell me if youve spent however many years training and partaking in a skill that you yourself have, you in fact become very very good at it, amongst the best in the world and someone offers you the wages of a footballer your gonna turn around and say no?

and 150-250 grand a week as a ball park figure? theres less than 10 players in the entirety of the world earning that money. please the average premiership player is on around 10k a week. yes still good money but footballers who do no play in the premiership (99% of them) do not in fact earn luxury wages and struggle financially like most of this country.

dont go digging out footballers because of there wages just because it is highly publicised, the people earning the mad money are the very very best in the world at what they do, hence the crazy money they get, and funnily enough its pretty similar to most other professions in this world, if you are up there with the best in the world at being a lawyer, guess what your going to get offered ridiculous amounts of money, same as surgeons, other sportsmen, etc.
Reply 52
Original post by Pochi_X
At least they put their life on the line.

Unlike footballers, worst thing that could happen to a footballer is limp injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8O6poP9gF4

or someone can end your entire career in the split of a second, leaving you with nothing left to do in your life, no way of earning money, having to restart your career entirely from scratch.

ok so what doesnt happen often but trust me it happens
Reply 53
Original post by Likely Lad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8O6poP9gF4

or someone can end your entire career in the split of a second, leaving you with nothing left to do in your life, no way of earning money, having to restart your career entirely from scratch.

ok so what doesnt happen often but trust me it happens

Not talking about the finance, what I have said is which physical sacrifice each would do.

Football is entertainment, military changes the country destiny to either better or worse.
Reply 54
quite simply because there is only one Wayne Rooney one Cristiano Ronaldo one Messi, however in contrast a large proportion of the street in which you live or flats etc (not mean to be critical) could probably join the armed forces in some capacity or another is a simple question of supply and demand.
Original post by ======
A lot of soldiers are uneducated chavs who did crap in school and made no effort, and can't get a job due to lack of qualifications and therefore end up ''joining the army''.

Soldiers don't deserve any special treatment.

How do they differ from footballers then?
Reply 56
Original post by Annarr
Fair enough with your 'soldiers don't deserve any special treatment', that's your opinion.
However, the majority of soldiers *are* educated, they are simply passionate about doing their bit for their country as well. It's called patriotism. My godmother's son is in the Army, serving in Afghanistan. He couldn't decide on what he wanted to do for a career, despite achieving respectable exam results that would have got him a job elsewhere had he wished. He is serving in the Army while he decides what he wants to do, as that's something that he's so passionate about. Who knows, maybe he'll continue in the Army for a while yet, but he still has his qualifications in reserve.
'Uneducated chav who did crap in school and made no effort, and can't get a job due to lack of qualifications' you say?
1) I reckon his qualifications are on a par, if not exceeding, yours
2) Being a soldier is a job, with a regular income
3) He has mild asberger's syndrome, so I'd say he put in more effort than most, in order to achieve all that he has.

Don't judge.

How did he get in when that condition is on the Army medical blacklist? Not saying it's not true, I'm just curious.
Reply 57
Original post by BCUciaran
With respect, did you even read my last posts? I amarguing that soldiers are raping, shooting dead women and children and robbing familes.. I blame the government for initiating the 'war' in the first place but now I am talking abou the actions of soldiers in Afg at this time..

Yes, some soldiers are doing their job and protecting people but the statistics are stark so many many soldiers appear to think this is some kind of console game out there...

sorry bruh any chance you could actually talk about footballer and soldier wages rather than spreading your feelings on debatably true or untrue feelings of yours about any current legal or illegal wars.

CHEERS BUD
Most footballers aren't on £100k a year and anyway it is the income generated by the profession that results in their wage. It is not for you to dictate what people in the private sector earn.
Reply 59
Original post by JohnC2211
And some of the soldiers and officers in the army would **** all over you. The things that you learn in the army are worth a great deal more than a degree.

You learn not to drop the soap, but that's surely worth less than a degree.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending