The Student Room Group

Is it illegal to buy a wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend from abroad somewhere?

For reasons I shall not get into I don't think anybody would ever choose to be with me through romantic intent so I'm thinking of (eventually - not till I'm maybe about 30 or something) getting a mail order bride.

But obviously I don't want to do anything illegal or support human trafficking or sex slavery or anything, so how can you tell whether a site or organization is a legitimate genuine company i.e. that all the woman on there are on there through the own choice (all-be-it for economic reasons)?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:colonhash:

Well now even though I'm all but certain that you are trolling I guess I'll answer this.

Most of the information about this can be found here:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/human_trafficking_and_smuggling/

To my knowledge in theory if you get this girlfriend of yours a legitimate visa and there is consent I guess you'd probably get away with it.

Ugh I think I'll go and have a shower now. I feel more than slightly disgusted with myself.
Reply 2
Yes because you could be marrying her for a right to live and work in thy country. Just keep looking around and I'm sure you'll find someone eventually. Remember there's someone for everyone.
Reply 3
My price is quite cheap, sadly I'm not abroad though.
Reply 4
Original post by LSD

Not yet, but wait till 2014 and you might be.
Reply 5
Well i'm guessing it is pretty much illegal everywhere but it is probably not unknown with all the other dodgy stuff going on around the world. Don't put yourself down though, you'd be surprised at some of the changes that can happen in your life. I bet plenty of people sometimes think they'll be alone forever but then they realise they just have to wait a little longer. Cheer up, hun :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Torpedo Fish

hehehe
Of course. If you're buying someone's life, that's slavery.

Even if you found some random peasant girl from overseas who were interested in marrying you, you couldn't be sure that she wouldn't just leave you once she'd made a bit of money out of you.
Reply 8
Get rich. Golddiggers will come running :smile:
You'd honestly be happy with 'buying' a partner who is likely only looking for a better life?
Original post by badcheesecrispy
You'd honestly be happy with 'buying' a partner who is likely only looking for a better life?

Nobody marries for a worse life.
For reasons I shall not get into I don't think anybody would ever choose to be with me through romantic intent so I'm thinking of (eventually - not till I'm maybe about 30 or something) getting a mail order bride.

But obviously I don't want to do anything illegal or support human trafficking or sex slavery or anything, so how can you tell whether a site or organization is a legitimate genuine company i.e. that all the woman on there are on there through the own choice (all-be-it for economic reasons)?

Thanks.

Why wont you think no one would marry you.... How old are you?

Original post by Carecup
:colonhash:

Well now even though I'm all but certain that you are trolling I guess I'll answer this.

Most of the information about this can be found here:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/human_trafficking_and_smuggling/

To my knowledge in theory if you get this girlfriend of yours a legitimate visa and there is consent I guess you'd probably get away with it.

Ugh I think I'll go and have a shower now. I feel more than slightly disgusted with myself.

I kinda think he is trolling to....

Original post by nacho1996
Yes because you could be marrying her for a right to live and work in thy country. Just keep looking around and I'm sure you'll find someone eventually. Remember there's someone for everyone.

What you said is sooo cutee (no, im not gay) :biggrin: I hope there is someone for me! :smile:

Original post by LSD

:biggrin: he said that no one will marry him so he thinks people from abroad will. So you can still marry him just to get him happy and charge him for it :wink:

Whats that suppose to mean?
Original post by minifridge
Well i'm guessing it is pretty much illegal everywhere but it is probably not unknown with all the other dodgy stuff going on around the world. Don't put yourself down though, you'd be surprised at some of the changes that can happen in your life. I bet plenty of people sometimes think they'll be alone forever but then they realise they just have to wait a little longer. Cheer up, hun :smile:

I think there was a storyline coronation street about a situation like this. It was to do with Sunita, Dev and Maya. Maya was doing fake marriages with foreign guys and used forged teh certificates and pinned the whole thing on sunita, so sunita could go prison (which she did).

Original post by jismith1989
Of course. If you're buying someone's life, that's slavery.

Even if you found some random peasant girl from overseas who were interested in marrying you, you couldn't be sure that she wouldn't just leave you once she'd made a bit of money out of you.

Generalizing :biggrin: but yeah, it could happen.....

Original post by katyness
Get rich. Golddiggers will come running :smile:

:biggrin:
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Nobody marries for a worse life.

Really? Well many people would disagree with you there, lol :biggrin:

Why is he specifically asking to buy a woman from abroad and not the UK?

Because women in the UK have a better standard of life than women from the 'abroad' places he probably intends on buying a woman from, and therefore are unlikely to allow or want themselves to be 'bought' for the rest of their lives by a balding middle aged foreign guy. You hear of mail order brides usually from East Asia. These women are looking for a better life in a more prosperous country and marrying a desperate western bloke who can't pull a woman from his own country is probably the best way to go about it.
Original post by cool pilot dude

Whats that suppose to mean?

Refers to a certain referendum in that person's country :wink:
This is a joke right......99% sure he's trolling....
?? :biggrin: haha
Obvious troll is obvious
Original post by badcheesecrispy

Why not? I'd be giving that person a chance at a better life and at the same time I would no longer have to spend my whole life alone. Maybe if I treated her with respect, consideration and kindness she may even develop genuine feelings for me one day.
It's not illegal, because the bride usually gives her consent and it happens very often with thai/philipino women. But I'd say it's immoral because the brides don't usually know what they're getting into.

I happen to be watching a documentary about it earlier today, actually. The youngest girl in the family is usually expected to take care of her parents financially. They often struggle and resort to prostitution and then they marry some western dude in exchange for money to be given to the family. They also have this romantic idea about western men that is portrayed to them by hollywood media that they're better than thai men.

Basically, their expectations are much higher than reality and they get into marriages not knowing the real outcome they're going to get.

Edit: most western men who buy thai brides do it for one of two reasons:
1) they can't get a girl to genuinely like them
2) they can't stand the idea of women having freedom. They're aware that philipino/thai women are raised to be subservient to men, and that includes cooking, cleaning, and staying quiet even if they're being abused because they're not supposed to go against their husbands' words.

I suspect it's a combination of the two.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by diamondsky99
Refers to a certain referendum in that person's country :wink:

Scotland?! :biggrin: Cant beleive they are seperating! Even Quebec (where my dad is from) is not close to seperating from Canada!
Why wont you think no one would marry you.... How old are you?

I'm 21. Like I said, I don't really want to divulge that kind of stuff to strangers on the internet. Suffice to say, I'm not what most people would consider a catch.

I kinda think he is trolling to....

Original post by sahajkaur
This is a joke right......99% sure he's trolling....
?? :biggrin: haha

Original post by ninja_pidgeon
Obvious troll is obvious

I assure you I'm not trolling. I'm genuinely considering it as an option. Why's it so hard to believe that somebody doesn't want to spend their whole life alone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending