The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Our food is contaminated with halal food

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James82
I agree a lot of the Daily Mail is trash, but an article with numerous quotes and the fact that none of those huge multinationals have sought any recourse for the accusations levelled at them by the newspaper would imply that there is quite a lot of truth to the article.

I'm not quite sure what the issue is though. People seem to think that they're stocking halal meat for benefit of muslim patrons and hence to xenophobix rant of the "Islamification" of Britain.

However if as you and certain sources are claiming that the meat is not labelled as such and that customers (including Muslims) are unaware of this fact then surely aren't these businesses shooting themselves in the foot?

I mean if it isn't labelled as halal no muslim would touch it with a barge pole so it's not like it's a secret conspiracy to accommodate the muslims.

Also I think it's more to do with the fact that there are more meat/poultry businesses owned by Muslims in the UK as opposed to non-muslims hence that's with whom business is done and as state the halal slaughter still meets the required standards.

Also the non-halal slaughter isn't any kinder see the video if slaughterhouses had glass walls (although it is a PETA video).

The sale of halal meat isn't a recent concept though so it baffles me why people are making an issue of it now?
Reply 901
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
I'm not quite sure what the issue is though. People seem to think that they're stocking halal meat for benefit of muslim patrons and hence to xenophobix rant of the "Islamification" of Britain.

It has nothing to do with xenophobia, by definition, it also has nothing to do with 'islamification', I hold exactly the same views on Kosher meat or Hindu meat sacrifice festivals.

However if as you and certain sources are claiming that the meat is not labelled as such and that customers (including Muslims) are unaware of this fact then surely aren't these businesses shooting themselves in the foot?

I mean if it isn't labelled as halal no muslim would touch it with a barge pole so it's not like it's a secret conspiracy to accommodate the muslims.

Also I think it's more to do with the fact that there are more meat/poultry businesses owned by Muslims in the UK as opposed to non-muslims hence that's with whom business is done and as state the halal slaughter still meets the required standards.

You're right that it's not done to accomodate muslims, otherwise it would be labelled, but there is obviously a business reason for it, because businesses are doing it.

Also the non-halal slaughter isn't any kinder see the video if slaughterhouses had glass walls (although it is a PETA video).

You have a go at me for using the Daily Mail as a source and then counter it with a video from PETA. :biggrin:

If you actually look at reports from the British Veterinary Association, the RSPCA, various other animal welfare groups and empirical scientific studies they will show you that stunning an animal before slaughter is far kinder and more humane for the animal.

The sale of halal meat isn't a recent concept though so it baffles me why people are making an issue of it now?

Because until recently it wasn't shown to be being sold to the unwitting public.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 902
Original post by U.Ahmed
Did you run out of topics to criticise Islam about or what?

Init though!! Fussing for no reason :/ just check the f*****g meat before you buy it and demand unhalal one just like all muslims do for halal one!
And try to live peacefully and learn to develop acceptance for others

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by James82
It has nothing to do with xenophobia, by definition, it also has nothing to do with 'islamification', I hold exactly the same views on Kosher meat or Hindu meat sacrifice festivals.

You're right that it's not done to accomodate muslims, otherwise it would be labelled, but there is obviously a business reason for it, because businesses are doing it.

You have a go at me for using the Daily Mail as a source and then counter it with a video from PETA. :biggrin:

If you actually look at reports from the British Veterinary Association, the RSPCA, various other animal welfare groups and empirical scientific studies they will show you that stunning an animal before slaughter is far kinder and more humane for the animal.

Because until recently it wasn't shown to be being sold to the unwitting public.

The irony with the PETA video hadn't escaped me hence why I highlighted the source in my previous post. However I stand by what I said in that I find it all rather bemusing as to why a fuss about halal meat has arisen in recent years especially post 7/7 and 90% of the time it's usually from the same sources e.g. far-right, xenophobic groups like the BNP, EDL, NF etc.

They only seem to be ones who have a problem with this but that's nothing new and they seem intent on creating a divisive and intolerant society despite the fact we've advanced so much in the last 50 odd years or so. The likelihood is we're going to progress even further to a more tolerant and free society and the sooner the BNP realise that their brand of idiocracy has no place in a modern society, the better off we'll all be.

But yeah like I said if killing animals bothers you so much then become a vegetarian.
Reply 904
Original post by Aethra
That isn't true. There is a lot of food that contains a mixture of halal and non-halal or it's status is uncertain. None of this is labelled as such.

what about kosher meat? It is killed in the same manner.

'Oh wait, kosher has nothing to do with Islam, so it's ok, even if the animal is slaughtered'.
Reply 905
So what about jews who kill their meat the same way?
So it's ok for them because their JEW AND NOT MUSLIMS?
Now i see the point of this thread and the many others which are typically created to make muslims look bad. Just as the rest of social media is:frown:

BTW: its healthier and safer to eat meat which has the blood taken out rather than meant which is electrocuted an has the blood left in it!

Also: if you dont want halal meat check the label before buying it

*Simples*
Original post by Aethra
How can we do something about this, because I find it disgusting. A very large proportion of the food we buy has halal meat in it, completely unlabelled. Most New Zealand lamb sold in the UK is now, apparently, halal, and so is KFC. Many other outlets are following suit, without even telling us. Surely, if it's ok to tell customers that something is definitely halal, we should also be informed when something definitely isn't, because I for one don't want to eat anything that's been deliberately slaughtered in the cruellest way imaginable by letting it bleed to death while still conscious.

the 'cruellest' way, you say ? :confused:
what ?! that's absurd. are you saying that shooting an animal in the head or stunning them with 500watts of electricity is not cruel?
I am a halal-meat only eater but surely there isn't THAT much of a difference to the meats anyway ? :s-smilie:
well i think its your food that is contaminated...we spill all our blod out which fi you know has infections and what not...our meat i much more clean then urs ur **** head
Reply 908
The irony with the PETA video hadn't escaped me hence why I highlighted the source in my previous post. However I stand by what I said in that I find it all rather bemusing as to why a fuss about halal meat has arisen in recent years especially post 7/7 and 90% of the time it's usually from the same sources e.g. far-right, xenophobic groups like the BNP, EDL, NF etc.

They only seem to be ones who have a problem with this but that's nothing new and they seem intent on creating a divisive and intolerant society despite the fact we've advanced so much in the last 50 odd years or so. The likelihood is we're going to progress even further to a more tolerant and free society and the sooner the BNP realise that their brand of idiocracy has no place in a modern society, the better off we'll all be.

But yeah like I said if killing animals bothers you so much then become a vegetarian.

Like I said in my previous post, the only reason it has been an issue recently is because it has only come to light recently, it has nothing to do with anti-islam, at least not for me, there might be some people who have jumped on the bandwagon for their own cause. I guess if you think everybody who dislikes halal is anti-islam, then you must think the British Veterinary Association and RSPCA are anti-islam, where as I think the are just pro animal welfare.

Killing animals humanely doesn't bother me, causing unnecessary suffering does, therefore I would like to exercise my choice to only buy humanely slaughtered meat, a choice I am currently denied because retailers are lying about the slaughter method of their meat products.
Reply 909
Original post by notsure
So what about jews who kill their meat the same way?
So it's ok for them because their JEW AND NOT MUSLIMS?
Now i see the point of this thread and the many others which are typically created to make muslims look bad. Just as the rest of social media is:frown:

What a bizarrely pointless argument, that's a bit like saying you can't start a thread highlighting something you disagree with unless you highlight everything you disagree with. Obviously the same applies to Kosher meat, but the topic in hand here is halal meat.

Original post by notsure
BTW: its healthier and safer to eat meat which has the blood taken out rather than meant which is electrocuted an has the blood left in it!

Non-halal meat has the blood taken out of it, I would also like to see your source that says halal meat is 'healthier and safer' than non-halal meat or is it, as I suspect, something you just made up?

Original post by notsure
Also: if you dont want halal meat check the label before buying it

*Simples*

Great advice if there was a label on the product. :rolleyes:
Original post by James82
What a bizarrely pointless argument, that's a bit like saying you can't start a thread highlighting something you disagree with unless you highlight everything you disagree with. Obviously the same applies to Kosher meat, but the topic in hand here is halal meat.

It was a bit of a strange argument, but you must see that his comment ain't that out of place either. You see a hell a lot of more threads about Islam than Judaism, with the majority of the threads being quite negativly angled (or becoming so quite rapidly after the threads' creation).
Reply 911
Original post by FatCharlie
It was a bit of a strange argument, but you must see that his comment ain't that out of place either. You see a hell a lot of more threads about Islam than Judaism, with the majority of the threads being quite negativly angled (or becoming so quite rapidly after the threads' creation).

Islam has over 100 times as many followers as Judaism, and is a far larger minority in the UK, so you'd kind of expect there to be a lot more topics about Islam than Judaism on a predominantly UK site.
Reply 912
please keep your primitive religious superstitions out of this forum
Reply 913
We, as consumers, don't have anything to lose, but clearly the retailers think they do, otherwise they would be honest about it in the first place. Maybe it just saves them money in bureaucracy, maybe it's to support an unprofitable industry that would not survive without the clandestine infiltration of products into the mainstream market, who knows why the retailers refuse to be honest about it, but clearly there is a business reason, otherwise it makes no sense.
Original post by James82
Islam has over 100 times as many followers as Judaism, and is a far larger minority in the UK, so you'd kind of expect there to be a lot more topics about Islam than Judaism on a predominantly UK site.

Sure, but have to agree that people, in general, are more agressive against muslim-related issues over jewish ones? I doubt that it's only related to islam having a bigger amount of followers in the UK. I think there's more to it.

And personally I find English people to have quite agressive ideas about Islam in general compared to my homecountry and other places where I've lived.
Reply 915
Original post by FatCharlie
Sure, but have to agree that people, in general, are more agressive against muslim-related issues over jewish ones? I doubt that it's only related to islam having a bigger amount of followers in the UK. I think there's more to it.

And personally I find English people to have quite agressive ideas about Islam in general compared to my homecountry and other places where I've lived.

I think you'll find that many people on TSR have problems with Israel's position over Palestine and the fact that they supported Argentina during the Falklands war, which they will air very aggressively. There are going to be culture clashes between different religious groups, it's a fact of life, and due to the fact there are many times more muslims in the UK than jews it comes as no surprise that when it comes to UK issues that muslims are targeted more purely because of their numbers.
To be honest, I doubt that the vast majority of people have any sort of reservations about eating Halal food. Halal slaughter is no more or less humane than European methods in the grand scheme of things, because both cause some level of suffering, yet in both it is minimised. Afterall, halal slaughter is perfectly within EU guidelines otherwise it wouldn't be sold.

So there is clearly a lot more demand for halal meat than there is for certified non-halal meat, so I suggest that halal-o-phobes start up their own non-halal businesses, like every other minority group who sees a market niche. That's the whole point of Capitalism isn't it?
What!! either way its dead and i personaly think stunning an animal is more barbaric as the way it is slaughtered in islam actually gives it less pain. Also why are there so many anti-islamic threads on here??You cant talk as you dont know the details about islam so dont judge when you dont know anything.
Reply 918
The neck is broken so the spinal cord is severed, then the throat is slit whilst the animal is effectively paralysed so it feels no pain.

If you want to desperatly eat non halal food, then you do can just tell, if it is engorged full of blood then its non halal as halal meat almost totally drained of any blood.
Reply 919
Original post by Copperknickers
To be honest, I doubt that the vast majority of people have any sort of reservations about eating Halal food. Halal slaughter is no more or less humane than European methods in the grand scheme of things, because both cause some level of suffering, yet in both it is minimised. Afterall, halal slaughter is perfectly within EU guidelines otherwise it wouldn't be sold.

So there is clearly a lot more demand for halal meat than there is for certified non-halal meat, so I suggest that halal-o-phobes start up their own non-halal businesses, like every other minority group who sees a market niche. That's the whole point of Capitalism isn't it?

Original post by sophiakhan
What!! either way its dead and i personaly think stunning an animal is more barbaric as the way it is slaughtered in islam actually gives it less pain. Also why are there so many anti-islamic threads on here??You cant talk as you dont know the details about islam so dont judge when you dont know anything.

It's not anti-islam, it's pro science and reason, and the same principles apply to kosher meat. While I, and I suspect most people on this forum, can't profess to be animal welfare experts, I can read the overwhelming scientific evidence put forward by respected bodies like the British Veterinary Association and the RSPCA who both condem the use of halal slaughter due to unnecessary suffering of animals. I would rather take their empirical evidence as a basis for forming an opinion than some words written by a story teller many centuries ago or a group of random people on the internet.

Capitalism relies on retailers being honest about the products they sell, how can consumers make an informed capitalist purchase if the retailers lie to them about what the product is that they are selling?

Latest

Trending

Trending