The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should the NHS cover the costs of sex change?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by alexmagpie
Learn the difference between sexuality and gender.

I do understand the difference and did typed in the wrong word in and will be editing shortly

However id rather a comment on the subject would be more appropriate. :smile:
Reply 21
No. The person can live a perfectly healthy life without it, and the money should be used for something useful. The taxpayers are strained enough as it is, without wasting it on a non-necessary procedure.
Reply 22
Yes.
Original post by Beebumble
You think the NHS should only treat things that directly affects someone's survival?

In that case you'll believe the NHS shouldn't bother saving senses or bother with mental health unless the person is on the brink of suicide and what about people with fertility problems, dental problems, speech problems, skin problems? Should people who need full face transplants after a horrific accident have to go private as well?

Or is it just people with GID you discriminate against?

Yeah, obviously I just hate them al!!11 I was looking at it purely in terms of cost. I'll guess you just skimmed over the word 'ideally'.
Nope.
I would like to be more manly but the NHS won't give me roids so I aint paying for someones nob to get sliced into two because they have a preference for the turd cutter
Original post by Cmmah
No. The person can live a perfectly healthy life without it.

And your proof is where? They might be physically healthy; but mentally healthy, no.
Original post by concubine
Yeah, obviously I just hate them al!!11 I was looking at it purely in terms of cost. I'll guess you just skimmed over the word 'ideally'.

Where in the OP did it say 'ideally' anyway the word doesn't change the point. If you're going to ban sex changes because they're not detrimental to someone's physical health than you'll have to ban all those things too!
Reply 27
If it did I would be really angry. That money can be spend on much more important things than someone not being happy over their sex. There is a reason why someone is born as a female or a male.
Reply 28
Definitely not.
Original post by Cmmah
No. The person can live a perfectly healthy life without it, and the money should be used for something useful. The taxpayers are strained enough as it is, without wasting it on a non-necessary procedure.

Could say the same about deaf and blind people. Why should we help them? They can live perfectly healthy lives after all.:rolleyes:
No, lots of people have problems with the way they look and would want to look better, but it doesn't mean that it should be paid for them when they don't really need it to survive.
Reply 31
Yes. Gender dysphoria is a very real and difficult thing to live with.
Reply 32
Original post by Macabre
Well i have a parent who is suffering depression so i do have an understanding of what that entails. In my opinion i would say yes. I understand that depression varies in severity and also that counselling can do a lot to correct it, however often it is much simpler to solve than paying someone money to tell you what to do. Getting back into work, going back to education, volunteering or even getiing in touch with old freinds and family are many ways to combat depression. However sometimes professional help is necessary to avoid a much worse problem developing.

As for sex change i agree that many cases have psychological issues in the thinking behind a possible change and should be fully discussed with family freinds before even approaching a health establishment. Afterwards counselling is essential to ensure that this is a deep rooted feeling in requiring a change opposed to some kind of trauma.

I believe you have to undergo extensive counselling before you can get a sex change. I guess that's to make sure it really is GID at the root of the depression and that a sex change will actually help.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
No, lots of people have problems with the way they look and would want to look better, but it doesn't mean that it should be paid for them when they don't really need it to survive.

So you're against abortion then?
Original post by DeadGirlsDance

So you think the woman who got her face ripped off by the chimp should not received treatment?

Oh and gender reassignments and sex changes arn't all about looks.
Shame kerily doesn't seem to post on TSR anymore, as it'd be interesting to hear his say in this thread :beard:
Reply 36
no it covers CBT, therapy etc
Original post by Cmmah

Non-necessary for what/who?
Reply 38
Original post by Macabre
I personally believe that the public contributing to something which isnt essential to their survival and having surgery on perfectly healthy individuals to change their gender is not something the public should be paying for.

But what do you think?

When you take into consideration the amount of people getting treated for free for illnesses they have given themselves, for example cancer/heart problems as a result of smoking, or heart problems/diabetes from being overweight, and compare that to the amount of people who get sex changes every year, I really don't think it is the main thing we should be worrying about.
Reply 39
I can't imagine how horrible it must be to feel that you were born in the wrong body.

The NHS is about treating the welfare of our citizens, both physical and mental, and to be it seems to be a worthwhile spend of money.

Latest

Trending

Trending